Good Omens!

Wikkit

I’m on episode 4 atm. I’ve really enjoyed the show except for 

Spoiler

When the witch and the witch hunter have sex after they’ve barely talked for 2 minutes.

Luftschlosseule
6 hours ago, Darth Plagueis the Wise said:

I’m on episode 4 atm. I’ve really enjoyed the show except for 

Hide contents

When the witch and the witch hunter have sex after they’ve barely talked for 2 minutes.

I believe that's meant to be as absurd as it comes across. Anathema knows what's going to happen, or thinks she does, so she goes along it. Self-fullfilling prophecy.

I came on AVEN today in hope of finding a thread about Good Omens and here it is!

I picked up my first Terry Pratchett book in 2006 and he has been my favourite author ever since so I was extremely excited about this adaption and it was pretty much spot on for me, definitely helped by the superb casting. All the actors were perfect for their roles in my opinion. I notice some people werent keen on the narration as it was emotionless but, to me, the narration had a bit of a feel of the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.

After reading Good Omens I did try reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman however, I imagine a lot of other aces would have the same issue as me, I could not enjoy the book as I felt there was a lot of unnecessary sexualisation so that book is now collecting dust hidden behind my extensive TP collection!

Sadly I went on Twitter to look at people's feedback on Good Omens first but the world of Twitter doesn't seem to understand that Crowley and Aziraphale's relationship is perfect the way it is and doesn't need a host of fan art to show them together as a couple in a romantic situation, hence why I came looking for the views on AVEN!

On 6/5/2019 at 4:40 PM, KuraTheChibiCrystalKitty said:

Did anyone else notice the Discworld books in the bookshop, or the suspiciously familiar hat? 

There were a lot of nods to Sir TP in Good Omens! Such as...

When Pulcifer is looking at the paper for the job as a witchfinder there is an add for a lost thick rimmed black hat in a shop in Soho (the one you spotted!) And underneath an add for a lost book called the Colour of M...(page cuts off here but it's got to be Colour of Magic surely?)

Also when death is playing the games machine at the diner D.EATH has all places on the leader board except top spot which is held by T Pratchett

But to balance the scales you can also see the guard at the American air base reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Love these little details that bring it back to real life 🖤

purpleflavoredpi

Just finished the book, can't wait to start the series! Totally loved it, so creative and amusing

On 6/5/2019 at 3:42 AM, Async said:

...Does anyone know if the audiobook is any good?...

I've just found out about the book and series, yesterday, thanks to the news articles about it being protested by some religious people. I've just requested the audiobook from the library and hope to watch the series, soon, too.

Have you tried listening to the audiobook sample, on sites like Amazon, Overdrive, etc., to see whether you'd like the audiobook? To me, it seems to be read in a typical, comedic, British way, with dry humor.

Has anyone seen Neil Gaiman's tweet, mentioning he "wouldn't exclude the idea that [the characters] could be ace, aromantic, trans," etc.?

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1137370226931228672?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1137370226931228672&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthegeekiary.com%2Fneil-gaiman-calls-good-omens-a-love-story%2F65986

I mean to watch it, if I have the time to devote. Also, I completely forgot I have Amazon Prime and thought it was on HBO, but I was thinking Chernobyl.

I've heard good things, and it was hilarious seeing the reaction to god being a woman and Adam and Eve being black. Just for that I want to watch it.

PastelBread

I love Good Omens so much!!! I read the book and fell in love with Aziraphale and Crowley. 

I waited for the show and fell in love even more. ♡♡♡♡ I love the show. I have watched it fully twice (once alone and once with my mom) and my dad and I are watching it together. 

I truly think Crowley and Aziraphale have an asexual relationship! 

Finished the first episode, really enjoyed it. Very good tone. Looking forward to the rest. And the book now.  It is delightful, as I would expect from Pratchett and Gaiman.

Since some aces are uncomfortable with sex scenes, I'll give a warning for, I think, the ending of the fifth episode and the beginning of the sixth episode of the show: there's a sex scene--not graphic--but implied, between two secondary characters; the creators obviously meant it to be a comedic scene, but, of course, I'm aware that not everyone is comfortable with sex or sex jokes.

It caught me by surprise because none of the characters were shown in heavily romantic scenes like that, until that point, so I just thought I'd give a head's up to others.

Alright, just finished. It kinda fell away towards the end, but overall very good, one of the best series in recent memory. Crowley and Aziraphale are epic. The other characters can be hit or miss. I know it is a miniseries, but we got very little time with them. Better in the book? I guess I'll find out.

Spoiler

The choosing faces thing was kinda on the nose. But I guess it wasn't really a cliffhanger. The Four Horsemen were... less than well utilized. So the ending... was good, but not great. Except for Crowley and Aziraphale, they were always great.

And the sex/relationship things just felt so hollow and pointless. Those characters had some promise, but they went nowhere unexpected. Every male/female pairing is contractually obligated to end up in a relationship, clearly.

But I guess as far as main complaints go, that is pretty minor.

Anyway, Season 1 down, so... I'm down for season 2?

Luftschlosseule
6 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Anyway, Season 1 down, so... I'm down for season 2?

Which season 2? was that a hope you voiced or do you know something I don't?

This is all I've read, regarding potential future projects of the show: https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2019-06-24/will-there-be-another-series-of-good-omens/

7 hours ago, Zagadka said:

...Crowley and Aziraphale are epic. The other characters can be hit or miss. I know it is a miniseries, but we got very little time with them. Better in the book? I guess I'll find out...

Yes. I've read reviews from those who've read the book and watched the show; they said that the characters in the book are more fleshed out, except (spoilers for the book and show)

Spoiler

according to a few, the show made the relationship/feelings between Aziraphale and Crowley more obvious than the book, where it's apparently, more subtle.

@InquisitivePhilosopher Ahoy there! Just want to say I am loving your additions to the post (that video!). I felt the secondary characters were given a slightly lacking treatment in the show, but that's not a complaint because it allowed so much more time with my favourite are-they-aren't-they pair. And it's a lot more subtle in the book - which, in case you didn't know, doesn't feature that whistle stop through history that took up so much of ep4. Which is also wonderful XD

@Zagadka Ooh are you reading the book for the first time? What a treat! :D

@AHAL Hello fellow Yorkshireite! I missed quite a few of those little easter eggs so I'm looking forward to reading again so I can appreciate them all over. (I did see the scoreboard, but not the rest). Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

7 hours ago, Luftschlosseule said:

Which season 2? was that a hope you voiced or do you know something I don't?

There shouldn't be a season 2.   Neil has stated that he wants to go back to writing as making the show took so much of his time and energy.   I don't think he's likely to write any more to Good Omens since Terry has passed on and it was their baby.  As much as i would love a spin off show just about Aziraphale and Crowley throughout history before Good Omen's was set, i doubt it will happen. Although one can hope and dream. 

@Lilsi 1) loving that propic btw!

2) I'm sure I heard there wasn't going to be one - they used that as a joke against the group petitioning them not to make any more on Twitter somewhere!

3) That's what fanfic is for, right? XD

11 minutes ago, Wikkit said:

@Lilsi 1) loving that propic btw!

2) I'm sure I heard there wasn't going to be one - they used that as a joke against the group petitioning them not to make any more on Twitter somewhere!

3) That's what fanfic is for, right? XD

Thank you! it is by tumblr handle  Linipik

Tumblr and AO3 are our friends.  Seriously my Tumblr and Twitter is a solid wall of Good Omens, blessed be thou artists and authors! 

21 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

@Lilsi Yeah! The fan artwork on social media looks phenomenal.

Some of the stuff people have drawn is so beautiful. Plus Neil being awesome on Tumblr answering tons of questions and Michael just being perfect sharing loads of stuff on twitter. I am enjoying the joy that is coming out daily with the GO fandom. Each morning i wake up to something lovely Michael has tweeted and each evening i get to watch Neil answer more questions. And in-between i get to see endless streams of gifs, pics and fics. It is just good. 

@Lilsi You mean Michael Sheen, right? Yeah, I'm surprised and amazed that he and Neil Gaiman answer fan questions and retweet fans' artwork, as I've heard some authors and actors are too busy. 

That's nice of them.

2 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

@Lilsi You mean Michael Sheen, right? Yeah, I'm surprised and amazed that he and Neil Gaiman answer fan questions and retweet fans' artwork, as I've heard some authors and actors are too busy. 

That's nice of them.

Yes Michael Sheen. If you want a laugh following his twitter will totally give it you.  As for Neil he has totally been putting in the fan time, i was really surprised to see that he pretty much dedicates an hour at least each night answering questions on Tumblr and a bit with twitter too. But it is lovely to see how dedicated he is to fans. 

1 hour ago, RavenOak said:

p.s. Seeing the fandom take off with the idea that Aziraphale and Crowley have an asexual relationship is actually what brought me here! I loved the sweet, intimate relationship based off of a deep friendship and it made me think, "Yes, that's it. That's exactly what I want." I'd never seen an ace relationship before (had no idea what I was missing!) 

"It's fiction." I know. Take it with a grain of salt.

But I would really, really love to see more media like this.

OMG the amount of Ace stuff within the fandom, art and fanfiction and non Ace people writing them just makes my heart swell.  I made a post on my tumblr about it because i joined fandom when i was about 14, i am now 32 and i have never come across a pairing that has been totally accepted as an Asexual couple. I can go on fanfic websites and don't have to search they are just there.   

The show did some amazing work with having non binary characters, the female demons not being made to be overly sexualised like they usually are. Even Michael being female and the angels suits just being pretty genderless too.  Neil said that the TV adaption was made to be inclusive and about love for everyone now days and he did an amazing job at producing that. 

Luftschlosseule
14 hours ago, Lilsi said:

There shouldn't be a season 2.   Neil has stated that he wants to go back to writing as making the show took so much of his time and energy.   I don't think he's likely to write any more to Good Omens since Terry has passed on and it was their baby.  As much as i would love a spin off show just about Aziraphale and Crowley throughout history before Good Omen's was set, i doubt it will happen. Although one can hope and dream. 

Yeah, that's why I was confused. It's highly unlikely that they will continue there.

@RavenOak Much as I agree with you completely on a lot of that, I've got to disagree with the idea that lines taken directly from the book never happen in adaptations. I'm a Thrones fan and that's got loads of dialogue from the books :P

@Wikkit Hello! Good to meet another Yorkie 🙂

23 hours ago, Wikkit said:

I missed quite a few of those little easter eggs so I'm looking forward to reading again so I can appreciate them all over.

Just to clarify, the Easter eggs were in the Amazon series not the book. Not sure if you meant watching instead of reading but didn't want you disappointed when you didn't find them in the book! Although, it's always worth reading the book easter eggs or not 🤓

Archived