Does race matter for who you prefer in a relationship?

__AJ__

Does race matter for who you prefer in a relationship? Even the slightest bit?? come on, Be honest...  

1. 1.

• I would only go out with someone of my own race
    • I wouldnt mind being with a person of different race, but Id prefer my own
    • race is irrelevant
    • I would prefer someone of the a different race than my own
    • There are specific races which I prefer
    • I would only go out with someone of a different race
    • I only date ameobas
    • I hate all races equally
    • I like bannanas

This poll is closed to new votes

Putting personality, looks, money, attitude and everything else aside, do you find certain races more appealing than another?? Maybe you'd be willing to date different races of people, but do you prefer one over another...even a little bit?? be honest, no one can see what you voted

I chose 'race is irrelevant' but the truth is I don't really know if it is or not - Poland is definitely far from being a melting pot of different races so I'll never know if I have a racial preference or not unless I move to a more racially diverse country ;) I've only had one "dating experience" with a guy of a different race - he was Quichuan and really nice, with a sense of humour and all but had to go back to Peru. I guess it wouldn't have worked out anyway because of my asexuality. Luckily enough we never got to that stage so I have nice memories of evening walks and no regrets ;)

deladangerous

Race is irrelevant to me, for reasons I've gone over before.

I've really only dated outside my race thus far, but that wasn't on purpose (and I mean 'on purpose' like as if to say something like "I only dig black guys", y'know). If for some reason I had to find another mate, their race wouldn't make a difference to me.

That's a very good question Ajayyyy. Up until recently I admit, I was guilty of finding people of certain other ethnicities 'not attractive', even though I was capable of finding them good-looking. When I asked myself why, I understood it was mostly due to a perceived cultural difference, which was really quite shallow of me, because a person's culture DOES NOT necessarily equate to their race.

summerbreeze

For me, it's not even about race. It's about whether or not you find the person attractive. There is no point in being in a romantic relationship if the person doesn't appeal to you and vice versa. Then you are only lying to yourself (and maybe also to the person involved). I personally don't find men of my ethnic background attractive but that may be because I don't even look like them! Putting that aside, I can look at someone and acknowledge that they are "attractive" according to social definitions and I might even see that myself but I still won't feel anything towards them. For instance, Brad Pitt is somebody who was once voted "Sexiest Man Alive." I can see that he fits cultural standards for that but I don't feel that he is attractive- at least not to me. I would find someone like Jake Gylenhaal (how do you spell that name!!!) attractive. Manly men/a man's man definitely are not my type. That may be because I do not like the physical aspect (besides the face) and even am "turned off" by them so to speak. Yeah, clothes are asexy! :)

How do you guys always manage to get my innermost private thoughts out in the open? :lol:

It's a interesting poll. Considering the age poll with this one, I think the world is more open to biracial relationships.

Having grown up in extremely diverse grade schools, and continuing to an extremely diverse college, I can honestly say that race is irrelevant.

Race is irrelevant.

I connect with personality.

I'm also not looking for anything, so whenever/however/whomever there is a connection, then regardless of race, gender, etc., I'll act on it.

My last boyfriend was Irish/ Asian. I'm mediterranean (though according to the US census I'm caucasion). So I'll date a guy if he's a good guy, regardless of the race he is. I personally find white guys to be the most attractive, but looks aren't a number 1 priority for me.

The guy I dated says that he's a McChink. I think thats kinda cute :)

I don't see color, but due to the lack of nice Asian and African-Americans in my general area, I would probably end up dating a "white" person more often.

I'm not going to lie- I have a red/blond(e) hair fetish. But I have also had a crush on Usher for 5 years, so yeah....:oops:

Plur na mBan

Oddly enough, with me, the only other people of drastically different races I seem to meet happen to be very uncompatible with me, personality-wise, and we just don't get along. I'm hoping that's just a coincidence, though.

• 2 weeks later...
there are certain races I find more visually appealing than others.

Yes, me too. I mostly find people of Caucasian origins more pleasant to look at. *cough* Sorry.

I tend to be drawn to people of my own race - but I wouldn't entirely exclude other races. I haven't been interested in anyone of another race yet, but the pickings are fairly slim where I live :?

Adventuress Heart

If I wanted to be in a relationship with someone I wouldn't really care about their race.

I think multiculturalism is good, I'm very mixed myself so who am I to judge.

Disclaimer: Please don't be offended by the following. I'm not eloquent with words.

Race does not matter to me.

That being said, I have to revert to general stereotypes that are, in my region mostly true. Here, people of different races tend to make friends with people of their own race. They all tend to act very similarly. Therefore, the majority of the people of certain races act in a way I find rude and offensive, and I'd NEVER want to date a person like that (regardless of race).

So pretty much, if I had to judge solely by skin colour, there would be nothing to judge. But if I had to judge by personality and behaviour, I would end up avoiding certain races.

Gosh, that sounds SOOOOO bad. Oh well, I don't mind if I'm flamed.

I'm attracted to the familiar. So while I have no problem with dating someone of a different race, and certainly wouldn't turn down a date based on that, I'm much more likely to be drawn to someone of my own race.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to like people with either Really pale and white skin, or a medium-dark tan. I like either black or dark brunette hair.

But I would say my preference for these characteristics have nothing to do with race, or racism.

The reason these traits are attractive to me, is that there are to people in my life who I love beyond all reason who have those different sets of traits. I find anyone else attractive based on their resemblance to these two people.

You know, I tend to think mixed-race people are the most attractive (and I'm not just saying that to be democratic :wink: ). I'm trying to decide if I'd be more likely to date someone outside my race (I'm white), since the majority of my friends seem to be other races. But hey, it hasn't come up... :roll:

I find other races far more interesting. A different cultural background gives you interesting conversations. I always find myself intrigued and want to know more about that person. Where is the fun in talking to someone just the same as you? You always know what they are going to say. This said however you still need a certain amount of common ground. In terms of beauty I find all races have their own unique beauty. But generally I find South Asian women the most attractive.

(Pretending that I'm interested in dating) It depends on the individual...even just for looks. I'm not attracted to most black people, but I still find some attractive. I find a lot of asians attractive, but not all. A lot of white people look bland to me, but not all...this is all superficial, mind. Just which physical features I like. If I found someone I liked, race and looks wouldn't matter.

But aside from that, bannanas are what I really like 8)

(Maybe I should check out bannnanas too)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived