Ace Feelings on ASMR

Crystal7

ASMR  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy watching ASMR videos?

• Heck Yes!
    • Yes
    • They're fine
    • No
    • Heck No
    • What is an ASMR video?

This poll is closed to new votes

How do you feel about ASMR as an asexual? Thanks for participating! 

I am enjoy it but I don’t think it’s a sexual thing and most people that I know that like it don’t either even people that aren’t asexual 

I agree Ajdla, there is nothing inherently sexual in ASMR, although ASMRists rarely add sexual elements intentionally as an element of a particular video. 

Sage Raven Domino

Whether I get aroused by an ASMR video depends on the genre and on how heavily the artist is beautified :blush: (I agree that they don't mean to seduce the audience. though). If I don't, then I sometimes get to experience the ASMR effect itself :D

I just think they're incredibly annoying to the point of making me angry and uncomfortable

I've enjoyed ASMR for years, and my experience is you don't run into many sexual ASMR videos unless you go searching for them. Most seem to be incredibly PG. 

Didn’t vote as a non ace but I find them very relaxing. I don’t experience asmr but the videos put me to sleep. I’ve never seen any that were at all sexual.

RoseGoesToYale

I think I experience ASMR, but it has absolutely nothing to do with anything auditory whatsoever. It happens whenever someone plays with my hair, or I run a pencil lightly over my neck, or when getting a back rub. Or maybe I'm describing a different sensation? I have no clue...

9 minutes ago, iff said:

What is asmr?

2 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

I think I experience ASMR, but it has absolutely nothing to do with anything auditory whatsoever. It happens whenever someone plays with my hair, or I run a pencil lightly over my neck, or when getting a back rub. Or maybe I'm describing a different sensation? I have no clue...

Yes, you can get ASMR from those things too. I do as well. 

I don't really watch them, I listen to them most of the time. For me, ASMR is all about sound; I don't get visual ASMR.

I think the reason some people think ASMR is somehow sexual is that... well, you are watching a video that creates a specific physical response for some people.  It's not a sexual thing, but it does fall into the category of "physical pleasures".

I find the soft sounds cozy, similar to hearing the rain fall at night. I don't find it inherently sexual in any way. *shrugs* I guess anyone can try to make anything sexual, but for me - it's sort of just calming. 

The great thing about youtube is if it's something you find creepy or cringey or just don't like or whatever, you don't have to watch it. :D 

:huh: ASMR? (watches clips that explain it)

Oh, that. I've only come across one Youtuber who briefly mentioned it, in order to spoof on it and who tried speaking in a softer voice for one of their videos. Oh, and they briefly showed their puzzled and surprised reaction to another Youtuber tapping their nails by a microphone.

But, other than that, most Youtubers' videos I've seen don't have them using ASMR at all. I don't know how I feel about it. I guess, from seeing the ASMR clips that you gave, I think I can understand how others might like it; but, I don't personally feel anything about it.

I also find certain types of ASMR really soothing to listen to when I have a migraine (not tapping ASMR though!).

Celyn: The Lutening

Had no idea what it was so I watched the explanatory video @Crystal7 posted (thanks for that) and...

I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE THAT. I do get a strong physical response, but one that is deeply unpleasant. I suspect that's ASD sensory issues at work, so I accept that neurotypicals could enjoy it. 

The only time I get that shivery pleasurable feeling is listening to or playing piano music, and occasionally from other music too (Conor's voice from Nothing But Thieves does it to me).

Sage Raven Domino
26 minutes ago, Ajdla said:

Technically speaking though, while you like them or not, ‘the shivers’ are ASMR. 

Shivers can come from ASMR, frisson or misophonia; those are very different reactions.

Celyn: The Lutening
5 minutes ago, Sage Raven Domino said:

Shivers can come from ASMR, frisson or misophonia; those are very different reactions.

Wait I was under the impression that ASMR = frisson, what's the difference?

Sage Raven Domino
15 minutes ago, Celyn said:

Wait I was under the impression that ASMR = frisson, what's the difference?

Thanks for prompting me to look once more for scientific analysis of ASMR!

According to a new article, ASMR 'might be reasonably regarded as a type of frisson' despite being triggered by non-musical stimuli. It's still different from misophonia; however,

in a large-scale study of misophonia, Rouw and Erfanian (2017) found that 49 percent of listeners who experience misophonia are also prone to experience ASMR.

It looks like I fell victim to cognitive bias:

We need only explain why many of those who experience ASMR insist that it is qualitatively different from frisson. Misattribution theory provides a plausible explanation. In general, stimuli are cognitively more salient than responses; moreover, responses tend to be attributed to the stimuli. In the seminal work on misattribution, young men were induced to experience mild vertigo, but in the presence of a beautiful woman the men misconstrued their response as enfatuation for the woman (Dutton & Aron, 1974). Said another way, people are generally more attentive to sights and sounds, and less attentive to internal affective states. Two contrasting stimuli might evoke similar experiences, but the perceptual contrast holds greater psychological weight. Consequently, it makes sense that ASMR fans might focus on the differences that distinguish ASMR stimuli from the sorts of stimuli commonly described in the frisson literature.

I like ASMR, I always listen to a bit before I go to bed. I generally prefer no talking but sometimes a bit of whispering is nice. It's nice.

Archived