Ace Feelings on ASMR

Crystal7

ASMR  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy watching ASMR videos?

• Heck Yes!
    • Yes
    • They're fine
    • No
    • Heck No
    • What is an ASMR video?

This poll is closed to new votes

I enjoy ASMR, and have others have echoed...its extremely rare to find sexual ASMR, and if you find an ASMR that's trying to be sexual it's usually pretty obvious so you can turn it off right away :P

The goal of it is to create a kind of pleasant, tingling sensation up your spine that most people call "tingles". From what I've seen, some people can experience a very pleasant sensation from it, some people hate the sensation, and some people can't feel anything at all. I consider myself one of the lucky ones who does experience pleasant sensations from ASMR. It can be extremely relaxing and also works for clearing my head and putting me to sleep. There are a lot of different types of ASMR, some I absolutely hate and find grating, and some that do nothing for me. But I have a few types that I like and usually listen to if I've been overthinking and need to clear my head, or sometimes just as background noise if I'm reading a book. I discovered it my senior year of college and I'd sometimes listen to it while studying to make the experience less horrifically boring :D

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really watch ASMR videos, but there's this annoying fucking advertisement that keeps playing when I use my phone and it feels like ASMR because it's just someone whispering or giggling or saying sweet things in Japanese in a breathy voice and it's fucking annoying when I'm listening to rock or metal and suddenly have this girl whispering sweet nothings into my eardrums.

So.. heck no? I guess. Because I stay away from them and any exposure I have to them is weird and unnerving. 

Well, thank you I guess, for bringing this to my attention otherwise I would never discover something so outlandish. :blink:

On 9/21/2019 at 8:26 AM, WanderingKate said:

... I have a few types that I like and usually listen to if I've been overthinking and need to clear my head, or sometimes just as background noise if I'm reading a book. 

Kate, can you please, send me some links? I want to see if I be able to grasp what am reading while listening this "music"... ;)

I don't get anything out of it.  Just comes off as kinda weird to me.

My partner likes it, though.

Autistic so.....

Watches first video, gets 8 seconds in, no, no NOPE. Still hate it. XD The microphone brushing or tapping nails are just nails on a chalkboard to me. Soap flaking etc. I might enjoy in a gif or video with music rather then grating sounds. Voice is better (15 seconds in) and then people make sexual undertones jokes about it... Skip about 23 seconds if you watch to see the talk show. #mild second hand embarrassment and sexual undertones.

Next video, way better, it's softer, gentler for the most part and not focused on sexual undertones.

And they started talking about people who have negative reactions. XD Yep, ASMR is like stepping into a minefield. Some is okay and then you get hit with the negative as they switch to something else and back and forth, back and forth. You want them to do one thing and stick to it, lots of different things not so much. So for me the main person shown is nice to listen to but when they start showing lots of different people with a mixture of soft and 'crisp sounds' it's an audio minefield of conflicting responses.

-

Watched a sock machine video once that was really long and soothing, I think it was this one, and one of the commenters (tedmacat) said "That was like ASMR for my knitter's soul, I was transfixed the entire time."

So basically, ASMR in general yes but grating noises or tapping noises no, I get a strong negative reaction and just want to cringe away from it. The silent version of ASMR aka silent visual stimming gifs etc. I can enjoy, mesmerizing with non of the audio issues. <3 For a sexual take, gifs that are more sensual then sexual I can appreciate without getting squicked.

On 2/15/2019 at 12:06 PM, rebellious hellion said:

also, like, some people may not like asmr, but the editing/effects in this video is/are awesome

It's basically just in that edge between okay and cringe for me and then they started tapping and I started skipping and yeah they're doing lots of different things which is the audio minefield part I don't like. As for the effects, I'm skipping but I see what you mean, they does look good at it. :)

On 5/19/2019 at 8:34 PM, CelesteAdAstra said:

@Celyn when thinking about supportive ASMRtists, this lesser known one immediately comes to my mind:

... I saw the tapping start position and thought 'Nope' tried and the first 5 minutes have actually been okay?? o.o They're tapping and even running they're nails along the scales (I typically can't stand scratchy noises) and yet they're doing it gently and mostly using the pads of their fingers rather then they're nails for tapping so it's okay, weird... I really like their hand motions and voice. <3 Also the gender and positivity stuff. <3

On 9/19/2019 at 5:14 AM, HonoraryJedi said:

Whispering is generally directly annoying, some of the examples of whispering ASMR are full of what I consider disgusting mouth sounds. I find it actively unpleasant.

That reminds me, a lot of whispering ASMR people seem to 'trying too hard' and are so focused on the 'tingles' and viewer, which I don't like, where as the two people in the videos I liked seemed more focused on soothing and calming and were speaking to a more general audience.

It might be people coming across as too focused on me personally making me uncomfortable, according to the second video it's common for people to prefer being the centre of the ASMR person's world with a front on perspective, no thanks. On of the things I liked about the last one is they weren't focused on me while also being focused on making people in general feel safe. Well they were and weren't focused on the viewer... they weren't looking at you front on which I liked. From a sexual perspective: I'm Autistic, Grey?Aro/Anego (Autochoris) Ace so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ all of the above are a potential reason here. XD

Anyway, I'm going to go 'They're fine' for voting because some of them are okay. If anything it seems to be more an issue of 'does the audio squick you or not?' then a sexual thing. As mentioned, I can enjoy the non audio version of it.

ASMR I actually like:

Nope. I hate hate hate auditory ASMR and can get no nice tingly feelings from any other stuff. I find those oddly satisfying -Youtube videos relaxing, but that's it. And I also like how some things feel - just a few weeks ago when I drove my friend to buy a house plant I found this plant with the softest leaves, like velvet, and she practically had to drag me away when I got stuck just tickling the leaves. Again, no tingly feelings, just made me feel relaxed and peaceful.

Auditory ASMR though? Hate it. So. Much. The first time I even heard of ASMR was when I had trouble sleeping and my helpful friend suggested ASMR and linked me one of her favourite videos. So there I was, lying in bed, eyes closed, and pressed play. Instant regret. And no, I could not sleep for ages after that. I've always been quite sensitive to sounds. While nice sounds make me feel nothing, many sounds make me feel chills and goosebumps and just overall disgusted "fuck no." It's a very strong, physical repulsion. For example in the video above? When you can hear their mouths? Hate it. In primary school when we had super fan tasks of drawing a thing, and the sounds of a dozen pencils? My personal hell. Sounds of someone eating, breathing, any wet or mushy sounds, whispers, et cetera - eww. Eww eww eww. No.

WanderingKate
On 10/4/2019 at 6:51 PM, uniQChick said:

Kate, can you please, send me some links? I want to see if I be able to grasp what am reading while listening this "music"... ;)

Of course! I definitely don't know if you'd like the kind I do because ASMR is so varied and what triggers work for some people, others hate. But if you want any recommendations of what I listen to feel free to message me...that goes for anyone :)

I like some auditory ASMR but it's a hit or miss.

I love electronic music focusing on the sound effects so I get the same satisfaction from ASMR.

On 10/6/2019 at 10:20 PM, Saphoune said:

I like some auditory ASMR but it's a hit or miss.

I love electronic music focusing on the sound effects so I get the same satisfaction from ASMR.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw78haWbe05M9xAm7fyF4A

would recommend this 

Mysterywriter221

I hate ASMR videos. To be they're either the worst part of someone chewing or nails on a chalkboard. 

Fraggle Underdark

Going off the definitions I've found of ASMR I actually get it sometimes, mostly for tests where someone is asking me questions that take little thought. Like tests of hearing or random easy surveys. And I love it then. Not at all sexual but very nice.

But I hate all the ASMR videos I've seen, they're like heat-seeking missiles for grossing me out. Lip smacking and nail tapping...I'm intensely grossed out. I feel like if someone made a video just for me I could get ASMR from it. I actually experienced it when my family went to see Stomp, this play with choreographed use of brooms, closing trash cans as music, etc. But seems like other people get ASMR from the exact things that bother me.

• 4 months later...

@Crystal7

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived