Ace Feelings on ASMR

Crystal7

ASMR  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy watching ASMR videos?

• Heck Yes!
    • Yes
    • They're fine
    • No
    • Heck No
    • What is an ASMR video?

This poll is closed to new votes

Never seen, but this is a legitimate way to boost my post count :P

I ticked "no" because I don't enjoy them. It's not that I dislike them, it's just that they don't do anything for me and there's nothing particularly enjoyable to them.

Whatever floats your boat :)

cosmosredshift7

I enjoy asmr, but i started out as a skeptic because my mom, who is also ace, IS OBSESSED WITH IT. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it's relaxing and helps me..get tired I guess, which is good since i have insomnia and trouble getting to and staying asleep. it's a background noise that i focus on while trying to sleep, instead of overthinking about things.

also, like, some people may not like asmr, but the editing/effects in this video is/are awesome

I've experienced ASMR on occasion, but didn't know what the word for it was until recently. I'll listen to some every now and then, but I've never attached any sexual component to them, though I can see how some people would. I prefer no talking, as I actually find the ones with someone whispering extremely annoying. 

I have an auditory sensitivity, but I enjoy ASMR anyway.  Sounds that I can control don't usually set me off.

A lot of these things make me super uncomfortable, and i get sort of creeped out by some of them. I didn’t make it far when i tried to watch it. 

I absolutely loved asmr until it became a circus in my room and mind rather than the peaceful environment it was initially.

It's almost as if there are great spirits with nothing to hide and jaded others who want to thwart thier efforts all under the guise that is righteouness or some sht like that.

Anywho. You want the strawman argument? Cause I caught every single straw there is, almost.

No Cherry Picking.

ASMR

Kelthepurplequeen

I’m autistic. Most ASMR vids make my skin crawl.

All the ones I've watched were super annoying and cringy. Especially those that involve whispering, like, can't you just speak normally?

I quite personally hate ASMR.

Makes me very uncomfortable and makes me nauseous.

Why in the world would I want someone to loudly whisper in my ears and pop their lips and other stuff? I'd rather listen to Queen.

Kelthepurplequeen
12 hours ago, Ytterbium said:

All the ones I've watched were super annoying and cringy. Especially those that involve whispering, like, can't you just speak normally?

It’s not the whispering I have a problem with. It’s when people scrape things together or smack their food.

Like buddy, were you born in a barn? Chew with your mouth closed.

• 1 month later...

I really don’t like it, it feels creepy and invasive. Like in a horror movie where something creeps behind you and whisper threats or something. It doesn’t sound like loving and kind whispers either. I’ve never really understood why so many people like it, it’s just not my thing. 

Anthracite_Impreza

I absolutely DESPISE it, it freaks me the fuck out. If you listen to that near me be prepared to lose your phone, computer or equivalent.

I used to think it had something to do with asthma because Piggy in Lord of the Flies pronounced asthma "asmar" which could be shortened to "asmr". What? I'm old and find most contemporary culture unworthy of attention so don't judge me! 😈

• 1 month later...
The Terrible Travis
On 2/11/2019 at 11:20 PM, Crystal7 said:

i had to stop after a few seconds, that shit's creepy af 

Dreamsexual

CelesteAdAstra

I love it since many years! I'm extremely thankful towards ASMR and my favourite creators, since the videos changed my life for the better. Among other things, they helped me overcome my insomnia, constant pent-up tension and anxiety. They even gave me the ability to trust people back - before, I didn't even dare to let myself relax with any person near, no matter if physically present or only in a video. That changed over time, and now I can't even imagine falling asleep without ASMR :)

Dreamsexual
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:23 AM, CelesteAdAstra said:

I love it since many years! I'm extremely thankful towards ASMR and my favourite creators, since the videos changed my life for the better. Among other things, they helped me overcome my insomnia, constant pent-up tension and anxiety. They even gave me the ability to trust people back - before, I didn't even dare to let myself relax with any person near, no matter if physically present or only in a video. That changed over time, and now I can't even imagine falling asleep without ASMR :)

Celyn: The Lutening
On 4/16/2019 at 2:53 AM, Elivy said:

It doesn’t sound like loving and kind whispers either.

If someone made loving, kind whisper ASMR videos where they say supportive, encouraging things I might reconsider. 

CelesteAdAstra

@Dreamsexual my favourites will have to be Ephemeral Rift and Gentle Whispering, closely followed by MassageASMR, WhispersRed and SeafoamKitten.

Who are yours?

Custard Cream
4 minutes ago, Celyn said:

If someone made loving, kind whisper ASMR videos where they say supportive, encouraging things I might reconsider. 

I did find one like that once, although it was voice-only, which I prefer to video.  I was listening to some whispery yandere role-play at the time (yeah I know, but sometimes I like that stuff) and clicked on the wrong thing. It was far too sweet and nice for my mood at the time. When I actually wanted sweet and nice, I couldn't find it again. Typical.

Dreamsexual
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:10 AM, CelesteAdAstra said:

@Dreamsexual my favourites will have to be Ephemeral Rift and Gentle Whispering, closely followed by MassageASMR, WhispersRed and SeafoamKitten.

Who are yours?

CelesteAdAstra

@Celyn when thinking about supportive ASMRtists, this lesser known one immediately comes to my mind:

• 3 weeks later...

I don't watch much ASMR, only stuff that my subbed youtubers happen to release.

I'm Really ticklish and asmr gets Sooo close to physically tickling me sometimes that it can be hard to watch without cringing because it tickles. =P

Celyn: The Lutening
5 hours ago, StarNinja said:

I'm Really ticklish and asmr gets Sooo close to physically tickling me sometimes that it can be hard to watch without cringing because it tickles

I have synaesthesia and certain sounds that come in through my right ear will literally tickle/prickle my back, so that's one factor in why I hate it. 

• 2 months later...

I don't really get the appeal of ASMR, personally.

• 1 month later...

I've control over my nervous system (still 35 Years behind schedule but working on it) so this makes ASMR stuff pointless for me.

Whatever the effect people notice, it doesn't seem to be happening to me. Though I am glad it seems to help so many people. For me, tapping is a mildly annoying sound. Whispering is generally directly annoying, some of the examples of whispering ASMR are full of what I consider disgusting mouth sounds. I find it actively unpleasant. The scraping on the purple notebook, in the above video, I would consider a pleasant sound, but my impression is that if you experience the effect of ASMR, it is supposed to be more than that. 

Archived