Dear Abby mentioned AVEN today

Kelly

http://www.montereyherald.com/lifestyle/ci_24103842/dear-abby-condolences-better-late-than-never

Abigail Van Buren Dear Abby
POSTED: 09/16/2013 12:08:24 AM PDT

Dear Abby: I am an asexual college student with a question about dating. When should I tell someone that I'm asexual? I'm not really "out" — mostly because I don't feel the need to talk about it — but I'm not ashamed of it, either. What do you think? — New England "ACE"

Dear Ace: I see no reason to announce it at a first meeting because it's nobody's business. The time to tell someone you are asexual is after you have gotten to know the person well enough to be comfortable sharing information.

In case you don't realize it, you are not the only asexual person out there. Because there's so much emphasis on sex and sexual orientation in our society, it might help you to know that an organization exists which enables asexuals to connect with each other. It's the Asexual Visibility and Education Network (AVEN), and you can find it on the Internet at asexuality.org.

• Like 8

http://www.montereyherald.com/lifestyle/ci_24103842/dear-abby-condolences-better-late-than-never

Abigail Van Buren Dear Abby
POSTED: 09/16/2013 12:08:24 AM PDT

Dear Abby: I am an asexual college student with a question about dating. When should I tell someone that I'm asexual? I'm not really "out" — mostly because I don't feel the need to talk about it — but I'm not ashamed of it, either. What do you think? — New England "ACE"

Dear Ace: I see no reason to announce it at a first meeting because it's nobody's business. The time to tell someone you are asexual is after you have gotten to know the person well enough to be comfortable sharing information.

In case you don't realize it, you are not the only asexual person out there. Because there's so much emphasis on sex and sexual orientation in our society, it might help you to know that an organization exists which enables asexuals to connect with each other. It's the Asexual Visibility and Education Network (AVEN), and you can find it on the Internet at asexuality.org.

Thanks for pointing this out!

I really liked the advice she gave in the column - not judgmental, accepting and sensitive. I thought it was great that she mentioned that sexual orientation is "nobody's business" and then referred the person to AVEN so that they could get even more answers and information.

• Like 2

Wow that's awesome. Neutral, helpful, and I agree with others who felt it was respectful.

Not the first time, hopefully not the last time. :)

sound_the_bugle

Not the first time, hopefully not the last time. :)

yeah, I was going to point out that Dear Abby has mentioned asexuality before. I posted a link here somewhere about other times she's done so.

It's very rare that she gives judgmental advice. About the only negative viewpoint she seems to have that she's willing to express is on polyamory - she's not a fan. But other than that, she's very, very good at all of this.