Proposed San Antonio ordinace

That asexual guy

All I can say is that it is encouraging that San Antonio would include us. I'm never suprised by the bigotry of the conservative establishment, the folks who call themselves Christians but ignore the essential Christian value of compasion.

The Great WTF

I'm used to over-zealous fundies grasping at straws, but this is hilarious by even their standards. I love how there's not even a link to a copy of the ordinance in question, just bitching about details in it that they're not even citing. From what I can tell from other sources, the ordinance isn't even that "radical", just the norm compared to what a lot of other places have with the inclusion of asexual (which is a huge bonus.)

The part that depresses me is that Texas is so backwards sometimes that it might not pass because of people like this.

Edit: For what it's worth, after six articles and with several more tabs open, I haven't found a decent copy of the ordinance, but none of the articles mention asexuality. I'm wondering where crossmap got their information.

Edit Part 2: Found this copy of the proposed ordinance. It's probably not the most recent revision (dated August 7, 2013) but it does actually mention asexuality.

• Like 1
sound_the_bugle

On the third page, it does list "heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, or asexual"

I totally approve of this ordinance.

What i can't figure out is how it discrimates against anyone. At all. Or how it threatens anyone. Sometimes people really frustrate me. The whole article that this thing started about comes somewhere between making me angry and amused, and I'm not sure where it falls.

Wait...it discriminates against Christians for its inclusion of asexuality? What? Do they think there's no such thing as an asexual Christian?

:huh:

Can someone please, please tell me where he got his dictionary?

Yes, I know that most dictionaries don't include asexuality in their definition of sexual orientation, but all of the ones I looked up include 'bisexuality.'

It breaks my brain when people make arguments and then try to back them up with obviously false 'proof.'

I'm an asexual Christian. That said, I find this article offensive on just about every level. The casual hatred and bigotry is something that, it breaks my heart to say, no longer surprises me from the conservative edge of things, but good grief, if you're going to act like you're arguing an issue with any degree of intelligence or logical thought, at least pretend you've done your research first. The only reference given anywhere in the article is "The Wikipedia," for crying out loud. This is just sad. And there are far too many people who will actually take it completely seriously, which is even worse.

• Like 2

Asexuality and bisexuality are not usually included in the definition of sexual orientation. The Wikipedia cites that there is even disagreement among gender experts as to whether asexuality is a disorder or is true sexual orientation.

hahahaha. As Breetanya said, bisexuality is included in even the most basic definitions of sexual orientation. Also, gender experts disagree whether asexuality is a sexual orientation or a disorder? In which case, we have nothing to worry about. Gender identity and sexual orientation are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS, so experts on gender can never make an expertly analysis of our sexual orientation. oh dear dear. The misinformation and complete confusion on the subject of sexual orientation is saddening.

That being said, nothing new under the horizon. Bigotted people use misinformation to support their bigotted, LBGT-phobic rants, while hiding behind their religion to justify their behavior. Who knew?

• Like 1
red_brick_dream

It's hilarious, in a tragic sort of way, that fundamentalist Christians feel discriminated against when the government stops discriminating against others on their behalf. What but ignorance or malice could motivate such breathtaking inanity?

I find that article too ridiculous to even be offended by it. Also, *gasp*! I'm a Christian who dares be asexual and even... gender-variant! I don't quite get the point about the bathrooms. Is the author complaining because bathrooms will all be neutral or because bathrooms will be safer and thus more used by trans* and non-binary people?

The ordinance itself seems great, with one exception being that age-based discrimination is defined as only happening to those 40 years of age or older. -_-