Do you crave deep emotional connections?

FabulousEnding

FabulousEnding

Not just romantic but with people in general? I find my deadening sex drive has caused me to forget sex exists and crave deep emotional and mature connections with many people. I appreciate a strong sense of community. Are you similar or the same?

I've always been that way. I crave the deep emotional connection, although I only really want it with one person. I want the relationship & all that entails... I just don't necessarily want the sexual part. :redface:

Of course I crave deep, emotional connections! Obviously, that's what I look for in a romantic partner (someone with whom I can have that connection), but I also love being able to truly open up and bare my absolute self around my close friends. In fact, I'm beginning to notice the line between strong platonic attractions and romantic attractions is blurring more finely in my head as time goes on.

My goal for this year is to let down the fortress around my heart, and make myself more open to those deep connections that I desire. Hopefully it works, because as great as solitude/privacy is, even extreme introverts like some company/intimacy.

I crave deep emotional connections. Deep emotional connections help with romantic attraction for me (the more connected we are, the more the romantic attraction is). It's what made it hard to enjoy intimacy like cuddling ("I don't really know you, why do you want to hold me?").

Absolutely! But it's weird... I have this craving for a non-sexual heterosexual emotional relationship. I definitely get crushes on men--and I definitely have a type that I am most likely to "go" for (tall, smart, funny, and well-dressed). But my crushes are almost always more emotional than sexual. Okay... they are ALWAYS more emotional than sexual. For example... I always talk about being in love with Conan O'Brien (notice: tall, funny, smart and well-dressed... while on air, anyway) or my lifelong love affair with Billy Joel (okay, not tall, but smart and funny). But in the end never think about them in sexual terms. And in real-life I get my crushes, too... and once again, what I am craving is an emotional connection. I do want someone to share my life with, and I find a strong emotional connection to a man to be fulfilling. I have female friends, and I cherish their friendships. But when I crave a "connection", its usually with a male. If sex is not a part of the picture, I have no clue why the gender would matter... but it does. One of those mysteries of sexuality, I suppose! LOL

I always crave emotional intimacy, especially when I'm at college and don't get to see my twin sister or my close friends on a regular basis. I primarily look for it in close friendship though, which have been appallingly hard to come by while I'm at college because of how much of a one track mind I am when it comes to my work and I don't have my sis to manage my social life :lol:

I tend to desire more of an individual connection; I enjoy the feeling of mutual trust and understanding people on a deeper level than they let on in public. I'm okay with group connections, but they leave me too prone to the "alone in an empty room" phenomenon when I'm not close with someone on an individual level within a group.

Of course I crave deep emotional connections.

But sadly, many men and most women don't seem to want to let go of the sort of inner mean-spiritedness which I find so off-putting. :(

I enjoy the feeling of mutual trust and understanding people on a deeper level than they let on in public. I'm okay with group connections, but they leave me too prone to the "alone in an empty room" phenomenon when I'm not close with someone on an individual level within a group.

Yes, I'm similar. There is some stuff I'd like to discuss, or at least sound off about, but I can think of precious few people I want to share it with. I deal with a lot of group connections, but I really don't particularly want to talk to people about what I really feel like deep down (and that includes this forum) as life has shown me that a lot of people I could expect to trust, in fact, couldn't. Plus since I'm a natural introvert, I'll struggle to make "small talk" with people, though once I find a common interest or an audience for my ranting, there's no stopping me then.

Yes ALWAYS. I always hold on to my friends tightly *sometimes a little too much*. In the end they always end up moving away or just disappear. The biggest reason that they do that is because they all get married and have kids. In fact I find myself almost friendless again recently because my best friend of 11 years moved several hours away from me and lives with her boyfriend and his son.

I just wish one person would stick around you know? The biggest reason I cry now and then is because of the loneliness I have to go through when I don't have someone around that I have a truly deep connection with. Thank goodness my mother is still around but one day I'll loose her and I'll just be lost, She is like my best friend too.

CombustibleAlgae

I've never been in a relationship, but I do crave emotional bonds with people. Unfortunately I've only ever really developed one friendship that was close to the bond I desire, however that ended five years ago. For me the desire for an emotional bond comes in waves, sometimes I can go a year without wanting one and sometimes I can go for weeks wishing I had one. Sadly, I'm in the latter situation right now.

I've never been in a relationship, but I do crave emotional bonds with people. Unfortunately I've only ever really developed one friendship that was close to the bond I desire, however that ended five years ago. For me the desire for an emotional bond comes in waves, sometimes I can go a year without wanting one and sometimes I can go for weeks wishing I had one. Sadly, I'm in the latter situation right now.

It's the same for me. My friend of 11 years was very close to being part of that bond I needed but she started drifting away a few years before she left. We went from hanging out for weeks on end to talking on the phone for hours every day to barely talking at all. She then started skipping holidays we usually spent together. Like my birthday, Christmas, etc. Boys and dating became more important. u.u

But yes there are times i want to be left alone, and I get annoyed if I'm disturbed. I usually draw during those times, or just cry to let my emotions out so I can feel happy and renewed again.

marquisronove

When it comes to social relationships, it is most important to me that they are interested in similar artistic, intellectual and philosophical topics as I am and can discuss them. This is probably why my best friends are a teacher and a university professor.

Emotional aspects are secondary, though completely misunderstanding people's feelings and vice versa isn't nice either. Optimally they are talking to me for the same reasons that I am talking to them, though.

Michelleashley77

Yes crave them with a lot of ppl but having them not so much... Definitely lonely :/ you can message me!! :)

Nice thread. I won't use the word "crave" - but I would like to try this again. It's more complicated than it seems but with the right attitude I believe it's possible.

Liked your comment, Woodworker (I'm a woodworker, too BTW). My spiritual path tells me that as long as I feel like something *has* to happen the peace I know won't stay.

Acegal, your avatar image made me smile!

Does seem that in the culture I live in (US) people shy away from strong connection outside of primary relationships which is unfortunate.

I absolutely crave deep emotional connection, with both my friends and my relationships.

It's very important to me, especially in my relationships, to have that close emotional bond. Without it I could not have a relationship with that person.

I am not a very sociable person, so I prefer interacting with a person at a time, maybe even with a small group, but that's it. Right now I don't crave for deep emotional connections, as I am in a rather apathetic mood, but I usally do. That's what I want more than anything with a partner, to feel that kind of love which breakes my bones. As for friendships, I might have that kind of bond with two friends, one of whom lives awfully far from me, unfortunately.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have an intellectual connection with someone; it would be a great an enriching experience, but I'm afraid I'm not intellectualy capable of such thing.

I crave a deep, emotional connection with my bf, and for the most part, we do have that. It's better that way.

A lot of the posts above are describing exactly the way I feel too. I have no more than 5 close friends that I see at varying frequencies between a few days and a couple of years. They are all either married or in long term relationships, so I'm a regular third wheel, although it never seems to be a problem as I often get to spend time chatting with my original friend while the other gets on with their own thing.

The main problem that I've come to realise recently, is that I can get quite jealous if I find out one of my close friends is off doing something I'd also like to do, but without me and I didn't know about it. I don't say or do anything about this, but I guess it can be compared to the jealousy between some partners, as the deep emotional connection is on a similar level, from my perspective anyway. Looking back, I've always had this problem with family as well, and I for some friends in the past, this level of friendship was too much and they drifted away. I'm careful not to be too full on with my friendships these days, as I don't want to lose some amazing friends I still have. What I really need is a two way emotional connection with someone who I can get a little more intimate than is acceptable with a friend whose in their own relationship. Whether that ever happens is anybodies guess, but I can keep dreaming.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

Yes I crave it from people. I think most people do in some ways. Humans are social creatures and desire connection with others. I don't however think I need an emotional connection because I fulfill that need before I realize I have it. I have always had deep friendships throughout my life.

I have very few friends but those friends I have, I love so very much. I'm not a hugely social person and some of my friends are so I tend to not go to every met up they have and I think for the most part, they understand.

I do hate dating through. I prefer a relationship when they get to that comfortable phase, where you can be silent without feeling the need to talk or that you can be doing your own thing in different parts of the house and be perfectly happy. I know when I told a few people that, I got some weird look. Apparently the very beginning of the relationship is the best part and people hate it when it gets to the comfortable phase.

Archived