Colours Of Asexuality

Anthony Fineran

Anthony Fineran

I believe the colours of asexuality to be white, black, magenta, and green.

So the colours of pansexuality would be red, yellow, cyan, and blue.

There is no real science behind this.

If you mean the flag, it's this one.

aflag2.png

Basically it goes like this: black = asexuals, grey = demisexuals and grey-aces, white = sexuals and purple = the community around us, our community.

From this thread.

Anthony Fineran

Not a reply, more like unprecedented research.

A more accurate asexuality flag might be four stripes of white, black, magenta, and green.

Purple includes blue as well as magenta, and so is half-sexual.

Green is the opposite of magenta - if black and magenta stand for 'sexual disinterest in males', white and green might stand for 'sexual disinterest in females'.

The Great WTF

Color me confused. Where do your ideas about what the colors represent come from, exactly?

Mix purple and blue and you get indigo. Mix purple and red and you get magenta. And green is the opposite of red, FYI. Basically, I think the colors of the flag make sense (though I don't get why purple was chosen to represent community instead of blue).

Anthony Fineran

I think the assignation of the colours comes mostly from my intuition. I don't know how meaning could be extracted from them otherwise..

Ace, I think the opposite of red is cyan.

Ace, purple has always been the colour of the AVEN community boards, that's why it got stuck in everyone's heads. So... that's why purple! lol

Jillianimal

Not a reply, more like unprecedented research.

A more accurate asexuality flag might be four stripes of white, black, magenta, and green.

Purple includes blue as well as magenta, and so is half-sexual.

Green is the opposite of magenta - if black and magenta stand for 'sexual disinterest in males', white and green might stand for 'sexual disinterest in females'.

What?......Where is any of this coming from?

That is not what either of those colors on the flag represent.

black = lack of experiencing sexual attraction (as in, to everyone)

purple = community

I don't understand how why or how you think someone's sex is being or should be represented here. Not too mention it erases intersex people.

Anthony Fineran

I think science could be used to corroborate these findings, but until then intuition will serve as a conduit for possible unconscious knowledge.

I do not agree that black can symbolize lack of sexual attraction to anyone, because there is equally little sexual attraction in black's opposite, the colour white, which is possibly why white has been adopted as a colour of purity and innocence.

The adoption of the meaning of 'community' to purple does seem to me slightly arbitrary. To me the community would be signified by the combination of all four colours, white black magenta green, all together.

Despite what anyone may say, I believe gender remains important to questions of sexuality. As for the intersexes, that would simply mean a combination or blending of the colours already available in the white black magenta green model. However, grey to me seems a rather unhelpful colour.

The Great WTF

Unless you can give me some coroborative evidence to back your colors, I find them just as arbitrary as the purple our community chose for itself. What seems intuitive to you seems completely counter-intuitive to me, especially the need to assign specific attractions or lack of attractions to certain colors. Lack of attraction is lack of attraction and I am not comfortable breaking it down into distinctions based on gender. The only distinction I need is those personified in the current colors, black for asexuality, white for our sexual allies, and grey for demis, greys, and others who fall into the grey area between the two sexualities. Yes, purple is arbitrary, but it was arbitrarily chosen by the community it represents.

I'm curious as to how much thought for color symbolism was put into the pride colors of other communities.

This is the only post that Anthony has made, and the only post they've commented in. So, welcome to AVEN I guess but assuming you aren't trying to mess with us (Loki'd) it may be an idea to become a part of the community before declaring the flag we designed and elected a bunch of hoey. You could be a part of the community from other boards or Tumblr but don't remember seeing something like this there either.

In any case, welcome. Hi.

And the colours in the flag have a history from before the flag was created, were already being used to represent what they mean in the flag across many parts of the community. They were just, well, formally codified into flag form.

This is the only post that Anthony has made, and the only post they've commented in. So, welcome to AVEN I guess but assuming you aren't trying to mess with us (Loki'd) it may be an idea to become a part of the community before declaring the flag we designed and elected a bunch of hoey. You could be a part of the community from other boards or Tumblr but don't remember seeing something like this there either.

In any case, welcome. Hi.

And the colours in the flag have a history from before the flag was created, were already being used to represent what they mean in the flag across many parts of the community. They were just, well, formally codified into flag form.

Anthony Fineran

I think it's those with predominantly earth colours who find ascribing meanings for colours an entirely arbitrary affair. Colours describing gender came from King Wen via Connie Achilles - it is related to the 'i ching'. if you are interested, king wen stated that black symbolized 'mother', white 'father', cyan 'eldest daughter', red 'eldest son', etc. I find it as conceivable for colours to describe gender as i find them valid placeholders for emotion, personality type, sexuality, and the laws, elements and cycles of nature.

I do not believe the flag to be hooey - merely inaccurate in terms of describing asexuality qua asexuality. For me to show alliance with sexuals in a flag would result in another rainbow flag, except with white and black included as well.

I think it's those with predominantly earth colours who find ascribing meanings for colours an entirely arbitrary affair. Colours describing gender came from King Wen via Connie Achilles - it is related to the 'i ching'. if you are interested, king wen stated that black symbolized 'mother', white 'father', cyan 'eldest daughter', red 'eldest son', etc. I find it as conceivable for colours to describe gender as i find them valid placeholders for emotion, personality type, sexuality, and the laws, elements and cycles of nature.

I do not believe the flag to be hooey - merely inaccurate in terms of describing asexuality qua asexuality. For me to show alliance with sexuals in a flag would result in another rainbow flag, except with white and black included as well.

Do you mean this? http://www.yijing.nl/i_ching/trigrams/tri-hex-colors.htm

I'm confused, if you could give us some links or better explanations it might be better. I never heard of King Wen, personally. I think that since this is our flag (not AVEN's but asexuality's) it makes sense to choose the colours the way we did. Do you know how it was chosen? Even the whole graphic was voted on, it's quite interesting. I think bristrek has the whole history, right? :)

Anthony Fineran

Yes, that's the site that started a lot of good work for me.

This is my page of my colour theory, in case you're interested:

http://www.molimop.org/colourtheory.html

There is some logic there as well as grasping from my nous. It does change a lot, though, which suggests some lack of objectivity.

The current flag seems meaningful in its own way. I'm just concerned that not recognizing green and magenta (rather than purple) is to misrepresent the simplicity and range of the true concept of asexuality.

The colors of our flag are beautiful and gentle on the eye.

To me, they represent the support of this community, the gentleness here. We are so fortunate.

I don't see much, but I know the difference between visual chaos and visual order.

The first is ugly, the second is beautiful.

I voted for this flag for those reasons, primarily.

I voted for this flag because it defines a particular, something that makes us what we are.

It does not mix us up, it gives to each his or her place.

These colors are beautiful.

You realize colours are highly cultural and change all the time, right? The western perception of white is associated with purity, cleanliness and innocence. The eastern perception of white is associated with death. In fact, about 50-60 years ago the colour for baby boys and girls were pink and blue, respectively.

Purple was a highly arbitrary choice for the AVEN community. Making this choice now, based on your intuition, does not necessarily mean it will be intuitive to everyone else. If you really wanted the opposite of purple (as it is the somewhat official colour of the AVEN community), yellow should represent sexuals (complementary colours). I'm also not entirely sure why the distinction of "sexual disinterest" of either sex is made, nor why you feel it is important to incorporate into the flag. If one is male and has a sexual interest in men, would they not identify as homosexual, therefore identify with the LGBT flag anyhow? Just a thought.

Anthony Fineran

I'm not sure if colours can not inhabit absolute meaning.

I think white is sexual disinterest in females because it is to me the colour of receptivity and transcendence of the ego required to manifest desire. black is sexual disinterest in males because it is the colour of ambition, which can preclude relationships. green is sexual disinterest in females because it is the colour of criticism, which is post-sexual and divides rather than unites. magenta is sexual disinterest in males because it is the colour of amusement, which is the pre-sexual bond of touch.

I'm just concerned that not recognizing green and magenta (rather than purple) is to misrepresent the simplicity and range of the true concept of asexuality.

I'm curious... how does your concern manifest? Are you anxious about this? Do you feel that other people don't properly understand colors the way you do? You say this is based on your intuition and I believe that, but you must realize by now that not everyone shares your intuition... why do you think that is?

Wait a minute. First you say white is sexual disinterest in females, then you go on to say that green is sexual disinterest in females. Seriously, WTH?

Anthony Fineran

SkulleryMaid - to be true, my concern for the asexual flag ranks about joint 1000th out of 1000 concerns. Perhaps to the extent that logic is integrated into my intuition could represent the degree that the colour attributions are not arbitrary. my closest claim to logic is how the binary of the eight trigrams (000, 001, 010, 100, etc) can be converted into the eight facial expressions and the eight primary colours, just through rudimentary awareness of the graphical representation of colour wavelengths and of the combination of all the possible permutations of facial expression (which is graphically expressed through alterations to a circle).

while i will hold all presented opinions to be valid, without the backup of the logic i may have accrued, i will attribute the external colour attribution to wanderings into illogical fancy or to personal preference. any logic presented will serve to augment the position of each colour attributor.

AceOfClubs - the difference in the female as focus of white sexual disinterest in females and the female as focus of green sexual disinterest in females is so far my sketchy understanding that the back is turned in the green female and the white female is facing forwards. the same applies to the male who is the focus of black-based sexual disinterest in males, whose back is turned as compared to the forward-facing stance of the magenta sexual disinterest in males male. confusing? certainly. my research continues..

I'm not sure if colours can not inhabit absolute meaning.

I think white is sexual disinterest in females because it is to me the colour of receptivity and transcendence of the ego required to manifest desire. black is sexual disinterest in males because it is the colour of ambition, which can preclude relationships. green is sexual disinterest in females because it is the colour of criticism, which is post-sexual and divides rather than unites. magenta is sexual disinterest in males because it is the colour of amusement, which is the pre-sexual bond of touch.

Here's what's wrong with this:

1) You're assigning gender stereotypes for how men and women based on behavior

2) If you want to be given credence in this community, you need to ditch this idea that there are only two rigid genders

3) Just because some Chinese Emperor arbitrarily assigned colors to genders doesn't mean that has any validity

4) Sorry, but you don't know better than everyone else. Honestly, this sounds as credible as tarot card reading.

5) None of this follows. Magenta is the color of amusement? Okay, maybe in one culture - but definitely not in thousands of others. Also, why? And even then... how would that relate to sexual disinterest in males? They wouldn't even engage in any "pre-sexual[ity]" and if they did, it certainly wouldn't be defining of asexuality in any way.

Anthony Fineran

1) perhaps 'archetype' is a preferable word

2) i have not considered 'gender blending' to be of importance to my research as of yet.

3) king wen is offended

4) colour semantics is a field that is inviting increasing codification & utility for practical applications

5) The way magenta as binary (101) is translated into emotional expression - it is a laughing face, a tickled face. it has found some kind of amusement. now i associate magenta with extroversion rather than feeling. still, analogically it is an asexual colour. it requires just a little lateral thinking to make that leap. the only base logic required for all this is:

1) the term 'asexuality' is a true concept with linguistic meaning

2) a true concept with meaning can be described in terms of one of the abstract corollaries to language, eg colour

therefore 1+2=

3) asexuality can be described in colour