40's

PeterPanForever

Welcome to the new people!!!   :)

Thank you for opening up Helena, self-disclosure is a wonderful thing but requires so much courage! Yet, we all learn from it   :)   

• Like 3
PeterPanForever

Oh yeah, and don't be afraid to join in the discussions on the JFF threads as they are often times busy and fun, especially Random, Confessions Corner, and What Are You Thinking. 

• Like 2

Welcome Florenna! We'll have to find something we can reclassify as "cake" for you to enjoy. :)

• Like 1

Welcome Helena_Handbasket! I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that. I think you might find some common ground around here. I hope you get some benefit from these conversations -- they can be rather therapeutic when they hit home....

• Like 4
9 hours ago, OldNews said:

Welcome Florenna! We'll have to find something we can reclassify as "cake" for you to enjoy. :)

Thank you :) And I'm happy to have virtual cake, no need to reclassify ;)

Thanks for Skycaptain & Peterson515 too!

And Helena_Handbasket, I don't really feel my age either, like you I'm not sure how is it supposed to feel anyway... ;) But I definitely don't feel "old" (or look it, I've been told) in any way.

• Like 6
straightouttamordor

I'm 49 and holding. Doesn't bother me, the big pending Five-O. Wiser, whackier and easier for me to feel content. Class reunions are entertaining. No one says " WTF" now. They say,  "Who the fornication ? " was/ is that ?  Some even play along when they don't have a clue who they were speaking with, then add some alcohol to the mix. ⚠

• Like 1
straightouttamordor
6 minutes ago, Ƒaraday said:

Welcome aboard @Helena_Handbasket!! Here's some yummy cake!:cake::D

@prib23 I've never attended any of my class reunions.  I was never popular in school, and the thought of attending one would be very awkward.   

Why not Faraday ? Your attractive lady. And your funny. It would be their loss. 🐒

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, prib23 said:

Why not Faraday ? Your attractive lady. And your funny. It would be their loss. 🐒

Aw shucks, thanks!:redface:  

In HS I was shy, struggled socially, and was bullied for being a nerd.  I didn't fit into any of the clicks.  HS just wasn't my time.  I came into my own quite a bit later.:D  Although I'm still a nerd, I'm comfortable with it and embrace it.    

• Like 4

The common theme of older aces not feeling or looking their age gets me wondering........

.......could marriage and having kids accelerate the aging process?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Muledeer said:

The common theme of older aces not feeling or looking their age gets me wondering........

I thought the same thing!  I actually posted it somewhere a long time ago.  So many Aces relate that they feel and look younger.  Although I was married, I had no kids.  I can't imagine the stress that sounds raising children, not to mention the financial burden!!  Of course, most say children are a blessing and can't imagine their life without them.  I can't begin to relate.  My dogs and cats are a handful!  I feel younger, but I'm pretty immature.:P    

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

I look about 10-12 years younger than I am and I always tell people it's because I'm not married and no kids!  I think there could be something to that.  Of course I also don't smoke and rarely drink.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, GeoAmy said:

I look about 10-12 years younger than I am and I always tell people it's because I'm not married and no kids!  I think there could be something to that.  Of course I also don't smoke and rarely drink.

I don't smoke or drink either, and I've never used drugs.  I try to eat healthy as well.  Hopefully that will contribute to my longevity!  

• Like 5

Well,  I certainly think that I'm responsible for my parents grey hair 

*was not a model child :ph34r:*

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Well, I have 2 kids and I'm usually taken for much younger than my age ;)  So no...

But I'm sure marriage certainly can accelerate the aging process, with the wrong person that is... As does working full-time all your life... (I've seen it around me...)

And while I don't smoke, I also love to drink in moderation, I think that's essential in keeping one young (it is for me at least)! ;)  

(Yeah, I know my views are pretty unconventional, but by this age you learn to make up your own mind about stuff! Or you should...) 

• Like 3
PeterPanForever

Yesterday in class we were supposed to introduce ourselves to the person next to us and say a little something and I told the person next to me that I was a 43 year old nontraditional student, and with a really quizzical look they got right up in my face to get a closer look and then called me a liar and said "Whatever...." This kinda made me feel good about myself, but I also was wearing my beanie and without my beanie my bald head has forty written all over it. As for how I feel, I feel about 75, so whatever back at ya....

• Like 4

happy new year, I still consider turning 40 the great escape from learning who I am, to knowing and acknowledging who I am and what I am going to do about it. My romantic peak hasn't happen yet because I don't know what it is, still trying to understand what it is.  Turning points it just a change in perception, of what you thought you knew.  Sometimes the challenging and sometimes they are wonderful surprises.  Finding what I needed, not necessarily the label, but the information behind it is a good surprise. I just wish I knew more people who share my experiences, totally agree glad my 30's are the rearview mirror so I can start a fresh new decade.

• Like 3

48 puts me solidly in this category.  New here.  Long time hetero-conforming & identifying as broken and incomplete.  Maybe 4 years since I started to realize it wasn't me, it was the category I was trying to fit myself into.  And - I just found out I Don't have a cancer.  So turning point, yes.  I. Am. Sufficient.

• Like 5

Welcome to all the new folk!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ooka said:

48 puts me solidly in this category.  New here.  Long time hetero-conforming & identifying as broken and incomplete.  Maybe 4 years since I started to realize it wasn't me, it was the category I was trying to fit myself into.  And - I just found out I Don't have a cancer.  So turning point, yes.  I. Am. Sufficient.

Welcome ooka! I can sympathize with being without a suitable identity for a long time. I was in a similar situation. There are lots of great folks and good ideas floating around here, so please enjoy. Congrats on being cancer-free!

• Like 1
PeterPanForever

Shhhhhhhhhh, I am supposed to be sleeping right now   :ph34r:   I promised myself that I would be in bed by midnight on the weekdays until kingdom come, 1am on the weekends. I'm not supposed to be here right now....    :ph34r:

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Peterson515 said:

Shhhhhhhhhh, I am supposed to be sleeping right now   :ph34r:   I promised myself that I would be in bed by midnight on the weekdays until kingdom come, 1am on the weekends. I'm not supposed to be here right now....    :ph34r:

Midnight is the best time of the day...

• Like 2

Hi, I'm new,  I'm 43 and I'm finding my 40's to be an absolute revelation!! I've spent much of my life struggling with depression,  low self esteem and low confidence. I have overcome quite a lot of that over the past 10 years and it's like I am only now learning who I actually am. Learning that I'm highly sensitive, an introvert and now learning that I'm asexual. It's like I've spent years struggling with a jigsaw, stressing over it and feeling it will never fit. Now it's like pieces are fitting and it brings a calmness and confidence I never thought possible. Onwards with the journey....

• Like 9
PeterPanForever

Hi Emily! It sounds like you are in a very good place right now!   :)   

My general thoughts for the day are as follows:

1) I think that I need to start acting my age. I am so immature and this is beginning to get on my nerves. If I am getting on my own nerves I can only imagine what I am doing to the nerves of others. 

2) I seem to be going in the wrong direction regarding depression, low self-esteem, and low confidence. I remember being much more confident and having higher self-esteem in my twenties. I also remember being very disturbed, and often times melancholy, and so I am not sure if I am more, or less, depressed these days. 

3) It really helps me to spend time in actual meditation each day, and to go to the gym. The meditation helps me to continuously center my mind on love (agape love) and this steers it away from the tragedy of the ego, and the gym helps me to feel less lazy and immobile. If I do these two things then I feel light enough to keep my head above water. 

I think that's all that is on my mind right now. 

• Like 4
straightouttamordor

I have about 3 more months before my forties will be in the rearview mirror. Don't know how I'm supposed to feel about it ?  Fifty used to sound like antiquity when I was twenty.

• Like 2