40's

Yeah, I also noticed how differently people aged. Although I didn't notice any correlation with size. Some smaller people looked rather old, as well as some taller people. And I think I have been holding up pretty well. :P 

• Like 1

I went to my 5 year reunion, in which a surprising amount of stuff had happened for people. For one thing, I had joined the Marine Corps and weighed nearly 100 lbs (45 kgs) less. :D

I would go to another, but going across the country for it is the problem. My high school is actually one of the best private schools in the country and top 10 for New Jersey. I still connect with several of my friends from school through Facebook. I helped one of them get through how she had no idea the status of her uncle for over a month after Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico. One of my uncles just got power back just over a week ago... 

I do understand that my case is an exception to most other people. My wife, sister, and her wife would never go to a reunion. 

• Like 3
On 4/11/2018 at 1:20 PM, newgirl said:

Would you go to a high school reunion?

I went to the 100th anniversary of my high school. It was 18 years after I graduated, so it was reunion-ish. It was not bad. The best part was singing in the reunion choir!

• Like 3
SweetAndSassy

I have missed a good conversation here.  I have not been to my high school reunions because, sad to say but I feel like I peaked in high school.  I have accomplished a lot academically, but I live in a city where it is tough to find a job as a professional.  Plus I know many of you can relate to not relating to those who have children.  I am happy with my choices, but many people out there will judge you, or worse, pity you when you tell them you do not have children.  

But on to a more happy subject, I would like to welcome @Aellae to the forum.  Sorry for the late welcome.  I understand what you said in your post about sex.  I have never found it off-putting, but I just don't see myself doing the deed with anyone.  Anyway, feel free to speak up whenever you need to.

• Like 2
iyamwhatiyam

I have no interest in a high school reunion personally. For one thing, I still talk independently to the people I liked back then. Then, of course, there's the factor wherein it's depressing to see how much we are all struggling. My 20-year reunion was booked to be held at a pizza parlor. We were all in our late 30s and most of us still couldn't afford much more than a pesto slice! No, thanks. 😊

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anybody own a  class A,B or C  motorhome and travel around the USA?

• Like 1
BobRossRules
20 hours ago, newgirl said:

Does anybody own a  class A,B or C  motorhome and travel around the USA?

Not me.  I did have an Airstream at one point. I lived in it for about a month when I moved to Maine.  Ended up selling it.  It would be kinda cool traveling around the states...as long as someone else is driving.:D

• Like 3

Hmm, I wonder if you could fly around the states?

That would be interesting!

Landing in all the small airports in America.

Or at the very least the airports with less traffic.

• Like 2
Just now, argar said:

Hmm, I wonder if you could fly around the states?

That would be interesting!

Landing in all the small airports in America.

Or at the very least the airports with less traffic.

Like in a small private plane?

There are people that do it, but I expect it's expensive.

There was a writer named James Fallows, who was doing it and writing articles for The Atlantic magazine a while back.

• Like 2

Cool!

Too bad flying  a balloon is so impractical.

And I would imagine Blimps would be equally expensive.

• Like 2
AtlanteanStar

I'm almost 41. Hi. I'm a hetero romantic -asexual woman. I am happy to be here. I feel alone in the sexual world. 

• Like 5

Welcome to AVEN.

Yeah, I know how that goes.

• Like 2
Skycaptain

@AtlanteanStar, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 :cake::cake:

• Like 2
On 09/05/2018 at 11:24 PM, OldNews said:

Welcome, @AtlanteanStar! I know about "feeling alone" all too well (although it is a bit different for an aro like me)....

You mean, looking at all the dust in your apartment and feeling the need to do some cleaning, and, and, and, and -> sure, next week.

• Like 3

I just learned my company has an LGBTAI+ group called Jasper (mining and petroluem company and this rock can be many colors).  They had a table with information set up yesterday and today and I stopped.  I asked if A was asexual or ally and they said asexual, but ally is becoming more the norm.  I said I prefer asexual and then came out to 2 of the gay guys involved with the group and mentioned the AVEN website.  I think the one guy even made a note of the website on his phone.  They were receptive to asexuality and I'm inspired to get more involved.  I'm still not sure about my immediate coworkers knowing I'm ace though.  They aren't a particularly progressive bunch.  

• Like 6
ExquisiteMystery

I hope it's ok to post here,  I'm about a year shy of the technical age group.

I don't know if anyone else is in this boat, but I remember actively and intentionally deciding to come out as "bisexual" (pan didn't exist yet) as part of the late 90's activism movement. To really make it clear how everyday/common/related  queer people were to the status quo. Which seems to have made it easier for the laws to change. I'm having a bit of a time now, being almost definitely Ace, and probably Aro. I feel like despite having kind of settled into my life's patterns, I'm no longer who I thought I was. And I don't have the energy for real activism anymore.

I'm not upset about it, more like undecided and a bit apprehensive. I am hoping to meet some more people who are out as ace/demi in an adult way. If you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate them. Otherwise, Hello.

• Like 2
Skycaptain

@Miss A, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

Don't worry about ages, those numbers are more hints as to the topics of conversation 

@GeoAmy  kudos to your company for having an open and supportive diversity group 

• Like 2
ExquisiteMystery
15 hours ago, GeoAmy said:

They were receptive to asexuality and I'm inspired to get more involved.  I'm still not sure about my immediate coworkers knowing I'm ace though.  They aren't a particularly progressive bunch.  

I am in a similar situation. My company outwardly and benefits-wise was LGB friendly, before it was mandated. The local individuals seem a bit sketchy, though. I've seen people be so overtly/loudly gay, that no one bothered them. But with quieter people (like me), it just feels less safe.

Plus other than one guy who very randomly announced he "doesn't like genitals, not even (his) own", most conversations follow the southern standard. So, I've generally opted no, so far. But it is kind of exciting, so it would  be nice to be able to share...

• Like 2
BobRossRules
On 5/17/2018 at 9:26 PM, GeoAmy said:

I just learned my company has an LGBTAI+ group called Jasper (mining and petroluem company and this rock can be many colors).  They had a table with information set up yesterday and today and I stopped.  I asked if A was asexual or ally and they said asexual, but ally is becoming more the norm.  I said I prefer asexual and then came out to 2 of the gay guys involved with the group and mentioned the AVEN website.  I think the one guy even made a note of the website on his phone.  They were receptive to asexuality and I'm inspired to get more involved.  I'm still not sure about my immediate coworkers knowing I'm ace though.  They aren't a particularly progressive bunch.  

That's nice to hear!  I wish that was the case elsewhere, but I think it's improving.:) 

@Miss A Welcome to AVEN!! 🍰  All ages are welcome.   "Doesn't like genitals" :lol: That's a good one!  I lived in Chattanooga Tennessee while in college and some of graduate school.  I can relate to the southern standard of conversation.   

• Like 2
ExquisiteMystery
2 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

I can relate to the southern standard of conversation.   

None of my family was born here, so we've all had various degrees of culture shock.

I've often thought there is a baseline level of conformity pressure that seems very gang/mob like, and seems unusual compared to the rest of America. Plus a bit more towards potential violence than social ostracism as a penalty.

Anyway, glad you know what I'm saying. 😀

• Like 3
BobRossRules

I lived there in the late 80s to late 90s, so I'm not sure how much has changed since then.  It was a culture shock moving there from California.  I didn't like the racism, and I didn't like how I was treated when brining my guide dog in public places.  I never experienced so much trouble as I did when living in the south, but that was a long time ago.  I'd like to think that things have changed for the better.  I'll be visiting New Orleans in October, so it will be cool so visit the southern culture again.  Hopefully, folks well be more educated about guide and service dogs.       

• Like 2

Yay!

Someone else talking about my idea of flying around to small town airports.

His idea is better and starts at the 15:00 minute mark.

The whole episode is great though.

https://youtu.be/T1-k7VYwsHg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm new to learning things about myself since 2015.  I am now 45, but a lot of things started changing for me a few years ago.  I see everything so different now.  I am now a pagan and learning more and more about my true self after all these years.  It's been a really horrible life, but now I am making changes in tons of areas and feel I am awake again.  I feel like I died in 1994 (the happiest I ever was - went downhill from there).  Some days I feel like it's still 1994 and I am just waking from a really long ass nap.  I am tired of being depressed and all that went with my life these past decades.  I'm ready to live now.  I get a lot of things these days.  I guess I was in the dark and denial for so long.  I want to live after spending the last 35 years wanting to die.  Call it a midlife crisis or whatever, but I am actually happy-ish these days!  I am enlightened and aware.  I am ready to accept myself and be me.  This was something I never could before.

Welcome to AVEN.

I'm glad you are made positive changes in your in your life.

I hope you keep the positive train going. Lol

There are some really cool and interesting people on the site.

Have a beautiful day.

• Like 2

i feel weird & old that i am just now finding identifiers of who i could be.

i have never felt comfortable with/in my own body.

i often feel alone.

i am very introverted.

i dont like talking on the phone to anyone, including family.

& my heart surgery just heightened all of these feelings.

i feel alone....

• Like 3

Being  single, introvert  and asexual over 40 , it's a lonely life if you don't have a balance in your life.  I don't care what anybody say,a person needs some type of emotional  communication with  another person via in person,text,  email, phone or email. 

I almost lost my right eye last week ( high eye pressure). Yes , I'm glad my  parents and 2 sibling are here but I wish I had friends too for supports

• Like 3
BobRossRules

Oh my gosh, @newgirl.  I hope you make a full recovery!  @Flamered I hope you recovered from your heart surgery.  I too hate talking on the phone.  I prefer email, text, or PMs.

@gothicowlz Welcome!!!  Here's to new beginnings....and a happy life!

@Flamered and @newgirl  Sometimes the loneliness gets to me too.  My dogs and cats help with that.  

• Like 1