Why Do..

MistyMoor

Why do so many Sexuals consider sex to be love and vice versa when it's just a physical animalistic act? :huh:

To me sex is not love, well of course I would think this way since I'm an Asexual but even if I wasn't I still wouldn't equal sex as a means of expressing love- I mean I don't think so anyway!

Do you think this love = sex notion was purposely implemented into our society by the male species in order to make females feel guilty for not enjoying it?

Thoughts?

Hahaha, I bet most guys would say that it was made up by women, not men.

Evolutionary theory suggests that its so parents stick around and take care of their kids.

Anyway, here's the thing. Sexuals don't think sex equals love, or love equals sex. That's a simplistic equation that cuts out the important part of what's going on. Rather, sex is an expression of love in certain circumstances. Its hard to explain to someone who doesn't feel it, but its this incredibly overwhelming physical sensation of love and sexual passion all rolled together, for which there is not outlet other than sex. It's like when you're really hungry... sure, you could exercise and that'd kill your appetite for 30 minutes, but its not the same as eating, not as satisfying, and the hunger is going to come right back.

Um, no. I don't think it's something implemented by men to make women feel guilty. Saying it like that kinda implies that no woman honestly enjoys sex and that's just silly.

As for why sex = love... well, for one thing orgasms release a hormone called Oxytocin which acts as a sort of bonding chemical. The same hormone is also released in large amounts after childbirth and during breastfeeding.

So that would kinda explain the closeness, or love, that is felt when a couple engages in sex *shrug*

The Great WTF

Evolutionary theory suggests that its so parents stick around and take care of their kids.

Anyway, here's the thing. Sexuals don't think sex equals love, or love equals sex. That's a simplistic equation that cuts out the important part of what's going on. Rather, sex is an expression of love in certain circumstances. Its hard to explain to someone who doesn't feel it, but its this incredibly overwhelming physical sensation of love and sexual passion all rolled together, for which there is not outlet other than sex. It's like when you're really hungry... sure, you could exercise and that'd kill your appetite for 30 minutes, but its not the same as eating, not as satisfying, and the hunger is going to come right back.

Thank you. I could never have explained it that well. (I blame my asexuality and the fact that my pet sexual is still snoring and drooling on my leg...)

I'd also like to add that there is sometimes a chemical reaction in the human brain that causes people who have sex to become infatuated with each other, so, no, it is most certainly not something implemented by society. Sex is most definitely not always about love, as well. For example, I am in a relationship with a sexual and I chose to have sex with him because I enjoy giving him that pleasure. It is also a wonderful way to treat my headaches and insomnia.

I guess I don't understand because I don't feel it so you're right about that! Thank you for trying to explain it to me the nonetheless! It truly is hard for me to grasp :blink:

Um, no. I don't think it's something implemented by men to make women feel guilty. Saying it like that kinda implies that no woman honestly enjoys sex and that's just silly.

As for why sex = love... well, for one thing orgasms release a hormone called Oxytocin which acts as a sort of bonding chemical. The same hormone is also released in large amounts after childbirth and during breastfeeding.

So that would kinda explain the closeness, or love, that is felt when a couple engages in sex *shrug*

While I do understand that not all females are asexuals or have a hatred for sex, however, I would bet that there are probably more females who either hate sex or identify as Asexual than men do. I wonder if there has ever been a study? Men seem so much more sex crazed to me it's hard to think otherwise! :P

The Great WTF

While I do understand that not all females are asexuals or have a hatred for sex, however, I would bet that there are probably more females who either hate sex or identify as Asexual than men do. I wonder if there has ever been a study? Men seem so much more sex crazed to me it's hard to think otherwise! :P

There ARE more asexual women than men as far the AVEN polls go, but I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers were wrong. Men are often under more pressure to appear sexual to their peers and thus won't be as willing to admit to asexuality or to go looking for answers. And I know a LOT of women that are just as sex-crazed as men are, though they tend to be quieter about it.

The Great WTF

On the subject of women and sex (Warning: author is very, very sexual.)

*adds to favorites list* I'll have to use this next time I have a debate about women and sexuality with my boys. Thank you.

Archived