What defines a sexual fantasy?

DesJ

This may seem like an odd question, but I feel like "sexual fantasy" is another term that everyone seems to understand without defining, a bit like "sexual attraction". Is it just a fantasy that involves sex? Or is it a fantasy that arouses you sexually, regardless of the content? And do they necessarily involve you, the fantasizer? I ask as a person trying to understand minds other than my own. I have lots of fantasies, but they come in two flavours: 85% involve me as a self-created character and often involve sex as part of the (complicated, elaborate) story, but never with the intent or result of arousing me and, as I've realized recently, only as a metaphor for need and dominance and a variety of other things. The other 15% are basically slash fiction, which I do find arousing, but don't involve even an avatar of myself and don't really come naturally to my mind. I'm just wondering if "sexual fantasy" has been meaning something completely different from what I experience all this time.

Quill Pen Gentleman

It probably means that, whether or not you are experiencing sexual attraction, it is in general a fabrication of the mind that involves either you and someone else or two other people engaging in a sexual act. I don't think it has much to do with sexual attraction, unless you want to have sex with ther person you are imagining.

I'd say it could be any fantasy with an element of sex or sexuality in it, either about sex or designed to arouse you. If you're sexually into bondage, you could have fantasies about bondage which do not have any sex in them, and it'd still be a sex fantasy if you find the fantasy sexually arousing, IMO. Some may disagree, i dunno. but i would say it makes no difference if you, the fantasizer, are in the fantasy or not. a guy could fantasize about 2 women having sex and that would certainly still be a sexual fantasy.

This is a very interesting question. I have a very overactive imagination and a great love for rp and make believe in general. My fantasies have also sometimes included sexual scenes as a part of an ongoing mental story. Sometimes (though rarely) these stories involve me or my alter-ego in the given fantasy, although usually they involve other characters. However, I've never done this for the purpose of becoming aroused nor do they tend to have that effect on me. Thus, despite occasional sexual content I've never really considered these to be sexual fantasies.

I would personally consider sexual fantasies to be those fantasies with the intent or effect of arousing the one fantasizing, whether or not direct sex is involved. Without that intent or effect, I woudn't really consider it to be a sexual fantasy.

Possible TMI.

Interestingly, before I realized I was asexual I used to try and force sexual fantasies while masturbating. I would imagine people, always fantasy people made up in my own head rather than real people, with traits that I found aesthetically apealling and incorporate those things that were "supposed" to be sexy or sexual. I never found it to really make any difference in my enjoyment and ususally I would lose the fantasy part way through anyway.

If sexual fantasy is used in the context of masturbation, do sexuals have issues losing the fantasy part way through?

If sexual fantasy is used in the context of masturbation, do sexuals have issues losing the fantasy part way through?

Seconded. No matter how arousing a fantasy is to begin with it never does more than, let's say inspire me, to masturbate, never actually playing a part in the experience.

For me it´s both - a fantasy which involves sex and arouses me sexually. And my sex. fantasies involves me, Eric and...you don ´t have to know details. :lol:

I don´t know if sexuals have this problem but I don´t (I´m gray-A).

Archived