AVEN Chat Room (Link to Chat Room Inside)

Nugan

The Evil Cashew

To be honest since i put up the sticky alot more poeple have been using it... but i dunno if a third one would...

~Cashew

Most experts I've asked (we have a few RL friends who are into this sort of thing) have suggested we just wipe it.... it's just figuring out what I want to keep... part of my hoarding problem extends to my computer. :P

Yeah, I'm the same. I try and wipe my computer once every six months, though, because I download a lot of crap onto it. So what I do is keep everything I want to save in one place, or at least as much as I can, and stick all the new stuff on a CD or DVD every time I wipe the hard drive. That way I've got an archive of all my stuff which I can just copy back onto my hard disk once I've cleared it. That's probably a good habit to get into.

• 3 months later...
After messing around with the chats a little, I realized that the registration system might confuse some people. (It confused me at first, because I had just been logging in with a name I already had registered from our boards.)

I think you have figured it out. :o)

Seattle Newbie

What? A chat room full of decent people having intelligent (and maybe not so intelligent.. cmon gotta be a little goofy no?;) conversations? Can it be true? Yep, I'm SO up for a chat room:-D Evenings work best for me although I can pop in from time to time to see if anyone's in there:)

MetalMentality

Hm... How often are there people in the chatroom? Just thought I'd ask before I spend too much time waiting around and seeing if anyone joins.

The Evil Cashew

To be honest not alot of avenites visit the chat room. Myself, Nugan, vagus are hte ones who are in there the most often. Ochriton shows up sometimes too

vagus(screen name sapphire assassin) are not in the aven room but role playing in the other rooms (cuz thats what the site was made for)

if someone is on the aven room when i am on i usually pm them.

sorry i can;t tell you when we are in most often... nugan and i mostly at night. ( we are EST time) Vagus's computer is currently broken so hasn;t been online in weeks.

~Cashew

Maybe we could agree one evening a week to start the ball rolling and flag it up on the notice board......now winter is setting in we might get a few more people looking for homely pursuits to while away the long evenings. How about a few volunteers to sit in the chat room on the assigned evening as a welcome party, we could agree time slots to avoid going stir crazy talking to the walls.

• 3 weeks later...
The Evil Cashew

saiya you know very well there wre 12 of us there later!

sheesh

poeple DO go there guys! don't give up!

~Cashew

Lady Heartilly

You'd think on a message board with over 5,000 people, there'd be enough people on at the same time to go in a chat room together . . .

I must protest to a chat room. That will only lead to irrational thinking and behavior. People will try to respond so quickly without giving much of what they truly want to say any thought.

As it is with the forum, it will be about who can make a name for themself. How is a newbie going to feel with constant flow of lines of people trying to explain deep subjects? The forums here are for everyone, not for a lucky few. It wouldn't be that way if there was a chatroom. Something you might know may benefit someone else. This is reading material, to help others and to help expand the mind, not entertain. There is a reason for the AIM, Yahoo!, and IRC messenger buttons.

I have nothing against chatrooms, except how much they suck. Seriously, you could make one but my logical sense says it wouldn't be a good idea, especially for this kind of website. This is not a secluded town with needs of a city. It's more like a small town, open to tourists and people moving in to it, who don't need anything more than a Super-Walmart, a Home Depot, and a 711 gas-station. Even then we don't need a gas station because we all ride horses. Not to mention we have a Sheriffs office, so authority is taken care of, but we shouldn't need training for an on-call swat team. There are no brothels here and we like to keep the drinking down to a minimum - no alcohol after 11pm. I personally think we're fine with just one library but if you all vote for construction of an arcade, I see there will have to be a gaming commision to look after the play, make sure it's not foul, and all is go. It's an idea that sounds good at first but the competition and the quickness of the game-play will drive you nuts!

Yeah, Austin, SGM is right. Some of the people here are friends and like to have a place to chat more efficiently than they could on the message boards. That's why the chat room was made, and people like it. If you don't, then don't use it.

--El Peix

I should point out that AVEN chats are mostly for fun discussions, much like what goes on in JFF; very rambling and seldom on-topic, so it's not like we're discussing some huge important issue that doesn't get shared with the board 'cause we're doing it in chat. We just use chat to have fun.

The Evil Cashew

Austin: you don't liek it. don;t use it.

also, for the record the chat room is NOT solely a chatroom for asexuals. Dykal is an online role playing forum created by Nugan. His chat room is for free form role playing (no rules) BUT he created a seperate room you can go to if your from aven. (its the OOC:Asexuality_Aven room ) keepign this in mind.. there is very little serious discussion going on. but it does happen.

Chat rooms can and have has serious discussion Austin. Chat rooms are for talking.. just like in IM's (do you not ever have serious discussions on im's? I do all the time) but your talking to more than one person at once which is just as interesting if not more. Its like having a discussion face to face with a person. Are you telling me i shouldn't ever have a discussion face to face with somene cuz i will say things in the heat of the moment? thats ridiculous.

Relax and have some fun will you? not everything about aven is "serious discussion".

Everyone come check out the chatroom! most poeple are in there in the evenings. especially on weekends. things ARE slow cuz of school and such but i know i am a regular in there and so is Metalmentality (Xydian) and of course Nugan. You don't have to role play, you can watch or just chat with the poeple. And don't be afraid. IT IS FUN!

~Cashew

I understand if I don't like it not to use it, I already said I had no problem with that. But for the whole of the community, which was what I was getting at, I would see it as something that might become a bigger problem than anything else. Hey, I'm all for it, it would just be interesting to see what happens, and compare to what I've said. :lol:

The Evil Cashew

Problem? it hasn;t been a problem yet. THe only problem there is is getting enough of us in there at once.

and i have used lots of chat rooms before and have never had problems

~Cashew

I just wanted to say... we have had a chat room for the German subforum of AVEN almost since the board started in January and among some members it received more popularity and sometimes even immediacy in wordly support than the board was able to supply. So, I hope you get to set it up with more people soon :-) About the registration problem - this has also become a problem eg. in the case that trolls are scared away in the chat system but still stalking around in the board and vice versa: Our technical administrator found a download to be installed directly on the board compatible with the phpbb system, so that each member of the board would immediately be a member of the chat. If you feel that could be great for you too, I could ask him for the appropriate download link.

To get it running we first made a jour fixe once the week and a very penetrant label on the head of the forum. But soon people met each evening at a special time, which was then announced for new members to find us there and join the party :-)

I wish you much luck :-)

The Evil Cashew
Our technical administrator found a download to be installed directly on the board compatible with the phpbb system, so that each member of the board would immediately be a member of the chat. If you feel that could be great for you too, I could ask him for the appropriate download link.

you have to understand the chat is on another site UNOFFILATED with aven is all aspects! its a role playing website with its own msg board. if you sign up that that msg board then you get automatic membership to the chat and vice versa. so even that it would be cool that if your signed up on aven u can sign up to the chat.. its impossible cuz they are 2 seperate things.

but thanks anyways! :wink:

~Cashew

To get it running we first made a jour fixe once the week and a very penetrant label on the head of the forum. But soon people met each evening at a special time, which was then announced for new members to find us there and join the party :-)

The problem with that is that on this forum there are a lot of members from very different time zones. I myself often find myself chatting on IM programs very late at night simply because that is the time when many members are home. This does make arranging a specific time for many members to chat a wee bit difficult.

--El Peix

Archived