the strength of sexual attraction

an1malclawz

an1malclawz

I know sexual attraction has to be pretty much strong to be a sexual but do all sexuals sexual attraction the same strength or is some stronger or weaker then others? and is there a certain strength you need to be at to be a sexual?

It depends what your opinion of sexual attraction is.

It also depends on a persons libido. Everybody is an individual and they feel different things to certain extents. Obviously males are prone to have a higher desire to have sex because of the hormone testosterone. To have the desire to be intimate with another person means you are sexual I don't think it matters how strongly you feel that desire.

[...]

To have the desire to be intimate with another person means you are sexual I don't think it matters how strongly you feel that desire.

It also depends on how you define "intimacy." Even though I don't feel sexual attraction, I love affection, but both of those things can be counted when defining intimacy.

But that's probably just me rambling. I'll go back to my corner now. :P

OP, I'd agree with Sapphie that, if someone feel that sexual attraction, then they're probably sexual. I've also come to the understanding that the strengths of those desires vary between individuals.

Not all sexuals feel a very strong sexual attraction, and I think there's no precise border where you can draw the line between sexual and asexual. I would rather say a sexual person is someone who, regardless of how much sexual attraction they feel, wants to integrate sex in a love relationship because he/she feels it's important. Remember that there are asexuals who do feel sexual attraction, but actually don't want to have sex, whatever the reason :P

Remember that there are asexuals who do feel sexual attraction, but actually don't want to have sex, whatever the reason :P

No, there aren't, because if you experience sexual attraction then that's against the definition of asexuality. I think you were referring to demisexuality or grey-a. THEN someone can experience sexual attraction. If someone experiences sexual attraction frequently but doesn't want to have sex, that isn't asexuality.

Remember that there are asexuals who do feel sexual attraction, but actually don't want to have sex, whatever the reason :P

No, there aren't, because if you experience sexual attraction then that's against the definition of asexuality. I think you were referring to demisexuality or grey-a. THEN someone can experience sexual attraction. If someone experiences sexual attraction frequently but doesn't want to have sex, that isn't asexuality.

Sorry, you're right. I naively incorporated them in the "asexual" category - should've mentioned that.

I don't believe that is necessarily correct. In the comment i wrote earlier i reffered to intimacy. Which to my belief, means romanticism that then leads to/or involves sexual intercourse. If a person who views themselves as asexual is attracted to the physical appearance of another person, and feels that they are sexually attracted to them because of a feeling in their body or the person they like makes them react at moments it doesn't simply categorize them as sexual. If they have no desire to actually be involved in the physical act of sex itself why wouldn't they be asexual? I think that is quite narrow minded considering some asexuals have a libido yet they do not desire sex. It is a natural human reaction to feel a certain way, but that should not define whether they are truly asexual or not.

If an asexual is with a partner and they felt a strong type of attraction it doesn't mean that they're automatically sexual. I really don't agree with you, if so then anybody who has a libido must not be any form of an asexual.

I don't believe that is necessarily correct. In the comment i wrote earlier i reffered to intimacy. Which to my belief, means romanticism that then leads to/or involves sexual intercourse. If a person who views themselves as asexual is attracted to the physical appearance of another person, and feels that they are sexually attracted to them because of a feeling in their body or the person they like makes them react at moments it doesn't simply categorize them as sexual. If they have no desire to actually be involved in the physical act of sex itself why wouldn't they be asexual? I think that is quite narrow minded considering some asexuals have a libido yet they do not desire sex. It is a natural human reaction to feel a certain way, but that should not define whether they are truly asexual or not.

If an asexual is with a partner and they felt a strong type of attraction it doesn't mean that they're automatically sexual. I really don't agree with you, if so then anybody who has a libido must not be any form of an asexual.

There are asexuals who have an active libido -- they feel physical urges in their body -- but those urges are not connected with another person. They are not sexually attracted to another person. Children can feel those urges; children masturbate. Not all asexuals have active libidos. Some sexuals have depressed libidos and aren't interested in sex. But the difference between sexuals and asexuals isn't libido, since they both may either feel sexual urges or they may not because of low hormones. The difference is sexual attraction to others. Asexuals, by definition, are not sexually attracted to others.

an1malclawz

Not all sexuals feel a very strong sexual attraction, and I think there's no precise border where you can draw the line between sexual and asexual. I would rather say a sexual person is someone who, regardless of how much sexual attraction they feel, wants to integrate sex in a love relationship because he/she feels it's important. Remember that there are asexuals who do feel sexual attraction, but actually don't want to have sex, whatever the reason :P

hmmm I thought sexual attraction has to be strong for it to be considered sexual attraction

For me personally I really never judged looks.. personality and female that was my only real needs but My partner who is asexual is a man.. a women stuck in a mans body

evanescence

Not true. The definition of asexual is very clear: someone who doesn't feel sexual attraction. What's trickier for a lot of us (including me) is defining sexual attraction.

E.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm kind of on the same page as jennifer.

For me I never felt sexually attracted to anyone based on looks alone, I had to get to know a person and build trust and be attracted to them in other ways before that sexual attraction came into play. And well, I didn't get that far very often.

Because of that I have felt alienated (as many asexuals do) when others talk about sexual attraction. There have been countless occasions of my friends checking guys out and expecting me to do the same that is just awkward. So in that way, I can relate to asexuals, though I can certainly feel sexual attraction for someone I have grown close to.

EDIT: oh hey, I just finally looked up this demisexual word I've been seeing around, and that's me?

Archived