For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

rachelpenguin

Earlier this year I asked my dad to drive me to Ikea in Wembley “for fun” one rainy Saturday lunchtime. There was a match at Wembley Stadium that afternoon. And a road traffic collision on the A406 (North Circular Road). And it was my dad’s birthday. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Skelemon said:

This is one of the only times I like having to wear glasses - I'm so blind that I can't even see that I have a face :P

I'm that blind, too. My vision can't be corrected to better than 20/50 in one eye and 20/60 in the other.

• Like 1

The last time I went on a retail tourism trip was in 1997 to Grand Forks, ND. All I needed to cross the border by car was a letter from my parents authorizing my friend's parents to take me across the border. 

The next time I went to the US at all was in 2005, and things had changed a lot, especially with air travel... 

I do actually go Ikea for fun sometimes, though to be fair it is on my way home from work.

I convinced my brother and his gf to go dresser shopping at Ikea 15 minutes before it closed when I and the gf were drunk. It was great fun. 

I've been to IKEA more in the last year than I've been my entire life. My gaming friend and his brother practically have a residency there and on occasion I have to drive them because their purchases won't fit in their vehicle. The last time I visited, I actually bought something myself.  

4 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

I hate going to their shops, though.

Do you go through their shops sober?

6 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

Do you go through their shops sober?

Sadly, I usually have to drive. So yes, I am quite sober. I've heard (because you posted it) that you have been through somewhat less than sober. It improves the experience, does it?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

Sadly, I usually have to drive. So yes, I am quite sober. I've heard (because you posted it) that you have been through somewhat less than sober. It improves the experience, does it?

*googles Ikea Utrecht*

• Like 2

You have to drive to IKEA. Most of their stores are so big you feel like driving around inside as well 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, sea-lemon said:

Well that's my holiday sorted :P

To hang out at the Ikea store, or to watch the gerommel in de winkel between an English retiree and a Canadian spinster?

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

To hang out at the Ikea store, or to watch the gerommel in de winkel between an English retiree and a Canadian spinster?

I'm going with both :P

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

We could hold any re-match in a stationery shop - the thriller in manilla

• Like 1
Squirrel Combat

Man, I'm about a year away from being part of this age bracket 😮

• Like 1
Guest DesertWells
1 hour ago, Squirrel Combat said:

Man, I'm about a year away from being part of this age bracket 😮

Technically, as a squirrel, you’re approximately 140 years old, so you’ll need to start your own topic.

Squirrel Combat
56 minutes ago, DesertWells said:

Technically, as a squirrel, you’re approximately 140 years old, so you’ll need to start your own topic.

Hold my bag of nuts.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

We could hold any re-match in a stationery shop - the thriller in manilla

That seems like a less practical option, unless sea-lemon also likes stationery shopping. (I mean, who doesn't?)

• Like 2
rachelpenguin
1 hour ago, Snao Cone said:

That seems like a less practical option, unless sea-lemon also likes stationery shopping. (I mean, who doesn't?)

Stationery shopping is the best! I’d hoped I’d’ve grown out of it by my thirties; alas, I have not. I recently discovered Kikki K which I would basically describe as Paperchase for grown-ups. 

• Like 2
bluedragonwings

So a general aging question. How many of you feel your personality has changed since your, lets say, late teens? I recently asked people I knew back in high school what they thought my personality was like at the time, it was both very different and very similar to how I thought they would answer but different than I felt at the time.

@bluedragonwings I used to not care about politics at all, I was a devout Catholic, I was influenced by a lot of my dad's hatred for people and things, and I was a bit of a selfish asshole at times. I've changed a lot since my teenage years. I'm still fairly mellow and only speak to a select few people in-person, but what you get when someone gets me talking has changed drastically.

• Like 1

@bluedragonwings My self-confidence took a big hit after a year of severe bullying. I was afraid to do or say anything that might get me made fun of. Nowadays, I just don't care. If people thing I'm weird because I wear silly graphic tees or enjoy playing board games, so be it. 

• Like 3
happykitten62

Hi everyone, how do you deal with loneliness? Being in my 30s, most of my old friends are married and have families, and it is just not possible to spend as much time with them. I am the only ace I know in my social circle, and I am the only one that is still single. Being an introvert (and non-religious so that means it is not possible for me to meet people through churches or religious activities), it is quite difficult for me to meet new people. My job has left me with little to no free time, so I also do not have the time to meet people. Pretty much everyone new I've met so far are from work, the majority of whom are the same age as my parents and also are married with families. Besides, I am just not comfortable with becoming very close friends with a coworker - I would not confide in a coworker if I need to talk. On some days, I find it very difficult to come home to an empty house without anyone to talk to, especially when I've had a terrible day or when I get super anxious/scared/worried about something...how do all of you deal with that?

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, LVG said:

@bluedragonwings My self-confidence took a big hit after a year of severe bullying. I was afraid to do or say anything that might get me made fun of. Nowadays, I just don't care. If people thing I'm weird because I wear silly graphic tees or enjoy playing board games, so be it. 

I relate to this a lot, although I would say to an extreme. In my late teens I was dealing with an out of control anxiety disorder and I was completely obsessed with always being in control and saying, doing and being the "right" things. So much so that I would say I had no personality at all other than "please tell me what will make you like me". Which, is awful and obviously didn't make me very popular 😂

Now, many years and therapy later, I would say that my personality has changed because I'm actually developing a personality for myself and discovering what I actually like, want and need. Oh, and I definitely care much less about what people think of me.

6 hours ago, bluedragonwings said:

So a general aging question. How many of you feel your personality has changed since your, lets say, late teens? I recently asked people I knew back in high school what they thought my personality was like at the time, it was both very different and very similar to how I thought they would answer but different than I felt at the time.

I don't think my personality has changed a whole lot, to be honest, but how it's filtered through all my experience and beliefs and [mental illness] and finally expressed has changed big time.

• Like 2