For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

3 hours ago, AndrewT said:

This place exists it's called North East England, although our summers only last 3 days :P

3 days of summer 😂

I loathe rainy days. It's depressing and more of a wanting-to-stay-home-reading-while-drinking-coffee-&- not-going-outside.

5 hours ago, Mulan said:

3 days of summer 😂

I loathe rainy days. It's depressing and more of a wanting-to-stay-home-reading-while-drinking-coffee-&- not-going-outside.

It doesn't rain all the time, but there's always the chance of rain 😉

It briefly rained on me on my way to work this morning, but then it cleared up as soon as I got inside. (It was ridiculously light rain, so I really shouldn't complain.)

Skycaptain

Rain is one thing, in our neck of the woods humidity has been the biggest gripe. I don't like sweating continuously when it's barely 20°c

• Like 3

I've got 9 pots of various plants growing on my front porch, which is under cover, so I have water them. As I was going to bed last night I noticed it was raining, so I moved all the pots out onto the lawn. It must have looked quite odd to a passer-by. And will look odd this morning with lots distributed at random on the lawn. But rain really is the best way to water them and they will have had a good drink.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

I've got 9 pots of various plants growing on my front porch, which is under cover, so I have water them. As I was going to bed last night I noticed it was raining, so I moved all the pots out onto the lawn. It must have looked quite odd to a passer-by. And will look odd this morning with lots distributed at random on the lawn. But rain really is the best way to water them and they will have had a good drink.

I've done that, too. I liked not having to lug several gallons of water, back and forth, on rainy days.

:) There might be a trick to it. What I did, later on, was try to put some of them on the edges of the front porch steps; that way, it didn't look as strange or odd, but as though I were doing some nice, fancy landscaping design. ;) With the ones that wouldn't fit on the steps, I'd just put them along the side of the house, behind bushes, out of sight from passersby. And in the backyard, where neighbors wouldn't see much, I'd just group them all together, so that it'd be easier to move them back into the greenhouse, if I wanted. ...Nice front yard; not-so-nice backyard. :D

But, I eventually figured that no one was probably paying attention, anyway, because they were too busy driving fast.

• Like 2
kmacdonald
On 6/4/2018 at 1:16 AM, Spotastic said:

I'm 35 and in July I start school for Business Analytics. I'll finally be using my GI Bill from the military to go to school for something that I can do from home due to my back and knees disability. I have a path to go down, but I'm still at the beginning of the road. I like to tell people who wonder what they can do at their age that Stan Lee didn't come up with Spider Man until he was 40.

Congrats! I really like your way of thinking of things--that you're still at the beginning. I want to think of things like that too but I think it can be difficult to keep that mindset. I just went back to school for a career change and am looking into applying to a PhD program, which will take another 6-8 years and that makes me nervous since I'm over 30 and feel like I should be finished with school already. But that's just society's message so I try to ignore that thought as much as possible.

I actually did not know that about Stan Lee though and it's pretty inspirational. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, kmacdonald said:

I just went back to school for a career change and am looking into applying to a PhD program, which will take another 6-8 years and that makes me nervous since I'm over 30 and feel like I should be finished with school already.

No way, why should live have to go like that? Just because a critical mass of people have their priorities ranked in a certain way doesn't mean you need to as well. I also think that those who return to school a bit later have the added benefit of all their personal and professional experiences to that point. It gives you a whole different perspective on what you're learning, vs. someone who has mostly just gone straight through from one degree to the next. I don't think there's anything wrong with either, but I am of the opinion that some age and experience is an asset, if anything. 

• Like 3
Hick Wizard
14 hours ago, SaturnOOO said:

No way, why should live have to go like that? Just because a critical mass of people have their priorities ranked in a certain way doesn't mean you need to as well. I also think that those who return to school a bit later have the added benefit of all their personal and professional experiences to that point. It gives you a whole different perspective on what you're learning, vs. someone who has mostly just gone straight through from one degree to the next. I don't think there's anything wrong with either, but I am of the opinion that some age and experience is an asset, if anything. 

I agree with you in that, I just recently finished a year long course for a trade and I think I had an easier time adjusting to it than the kids just out of high school.

rachelpenguin
On 6/4/2018 at 7:16 AM, Spotastic said:

I like to tell people who wonder what they can do at their age that Stan Lee didn't come up with Spider Man until he was 40.

I needed this. Thank you 🙂

• Like 2

The dude who made KFC didn't start the restaurant until he was, like, 65. People can reinvent themselves all the time. It always takes work and there is different adversity to fight at different stages of life, but dreams can always come true.

Dreams do come true! I can and will own a dog one day!

• Like 2
njosnavelin

There has been too much time to pass to write  everything.

Most importantly my Turkish studies have continued. As I have stated before it doesn’t die. My thoughts are never far from Turkish. I am obressed. Improvements are being made speaking, writing, and listening.  I have deactivated the account that was helping me connect with people in Turkey. There was too many people reaching out to me that I could physically handle. I have a great core of people who have been tremendous. The demand for an English speaker is so high in Turkey it has made me consider to open a small class in Turkey or an online course.

2001 A Space Odyssey is being played on big screen. It isn’t my favorite movie in the world but I felt like it is important to see. I have only seen it once in full and about three other failed attempts. Trying to figure out what the movie is about is the largest enigma in film history.

The bike has clippless pedals. I need bike shoes in order to ride it. I have put off making this switch for years. The power and control I am able to achieve now out is astonishing. The difference is night a day. I am still in a transitional phase with the shoes. I am still adjusting how to handle shoes when I go some place other than work and home.  These  cleats aren’t meant to be walking around. A set of shoes has to be in my bag. That takes up valuable space.

In about 10 days a friend and I are going on a bike tour for seven days. I have been working on gathering items up for it.  I am stressed out about it.  I have to bring a lot of my own food for a week. It is like camping, but burning tons of calories. I am a thin guy I need replenish them.

20 minutes of yoga a day is still in my life. My one excuse to come home and blast Nine Inch Nails or Tool in my face. Of course running during the weekends. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Puck said:

Dreams do come true! I can and will own a dog one day!

Don't kid yourself, that dog is gonna own you!

Gretel agrees. She is in her Pride collar and went to the pet shop first thing in the morning and got treats. She is very happy about this.

2wd8488.jpg

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, SaturnOOO said:

Gretel agrees. She is in her Pride collar and went to the pet shop first thing in the morning and got treats. She is very happy about this.

2wd8488.jpg

For realz, I went to bed last night feeling very sad for no reason, and when I saw this pic so soon after waking up this morning I knew it was going to be better today. :wub:

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

For realz, I went to bed last night feeling very sad for no reason, and when I saw this pic so soon after waking up this morning I knew it was going to be better today. :wub:

Dogs are somehow naturally excellent at this. I hope it actually did end up being a better day!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SaturnOOO said:

Dogs are somehow naturally excellent at this. I hope it actually did end up being a better day!

I got to see more dogs, so yes. :D Yesterday was Digger's 12th birthday. He's an old dog but a happy one.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, SaturnOOO said:

2wd8488.jpg

I can’t with that picture. It’s the cutest thing that has ever happened.

I feel like her eyes are informing me that everything is going to be ok. :wub:

• Like 3

Sweet grey Digger. I sent him a birthday hug (and then a belly rub cause that's the good stuff!)

1 minute ago, Puck said:

I feel like her eyes are informing me that everything is going to be ok. :wub:

A treat could be waiting around any corner! You never know! Keeping your eyes and nose peeled for them makes for the good life. :P 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, SaturnOOO said:

A treat could be waiting around any corner! You never know! Keeping your eyes and nose peeled for them makes for the good life. :P 

We should all for sure be living our lives as if we are dogs and treats can be around any corner :lol: Amazing life plan!

• Like 3

Dogs are the best. I have a client who has the sweetest miniature golden doodle. Every time I stop by, he brings her out so I can see her. She's equally as happy to see me. She does this adorable two-legged bunny hop. Cutest thing ever.

• Like 1

@Puck I see that tagging someone in your signature doesn't result in a notification. :lol:

I agree, of course, though the best thing about dogs is that everyone feels that theirs is the most magnificent beast to ever grace the planet, AND THEY ARE ALL RIGHT!! :wub:

• Like 1

That is the quickest I've seen anyone mention their name in Puck's signature. How long did it take @Homer to find his?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SaturnOOO said:

@Puck I see that tagging someone in your signature doesn't result in a notification. :lol:

I agree, of course, though the best thing about dogs is that everyone feels that theirs is the most magnificent beast to ever grace the planet, AND THEY ARE ALL RIGHT!! :wub:

Wow! You are totally the fastest to date! And I agree, ever dog is SO the most magnificent beast!

21 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

That is the quickest I've seen anyone mention their name in Puck's signature. How long did it take @Homer to find his?

Homer never found his :( After a month I just stopped counting... I figured he had signatures turned off :P

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Puck said:

Wow! You are totally the fastest to date! And I agree, ever dog is SO the most magnificent beast!

Homer never found his :( After a month I just stopped counting... I figured he had signatures turned off :P

Haha, is this a thing? Interesting... Just lucky I guess! Spending time at my computer procrastinating on a project instead of on my phone like usual, and I follow this thread!

10 hours ago, SaturnOOO said:

Haha, is this a thing? Interesting... Just lucky I guess! Spending time at my computer procrastinating on a project instead of on my phone like usual, and I follow this thread!

It is just something silly I do :lol: It started as me just writing something about Snao to be funny and see if she would notice and then I started doing more people! I always put how many days have gone by but sometimes I’m slow to remember to change... but it’s fun to see if folks notice!

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

How long did it take @Homer to find his?

Yup, I have them turned off. What did I miss?

Good morning :D

On 6/6/2018 at 5:56 PM, AndrewT said:

This place exists it's called North East England, although our summers only last 3 days :P

I'm going to seriously have to write that down somewhere... I'm not opposed to living in England for a while. :P Or at least for three or four months a year.

2 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

:o A Signature-Puck game! That's awesome. I'm too excited by the prospect of watching the future editions of this game. xD

3 hours ago, Cimmerian said:

I'm going to seriously have to write that down somewhere... I'm not opposed to living in England for a while. :P Or at least for three or four months a year.

highs today of 18 degrees c and it may not rain 😛

Guest community6seasons

Hello everyone. Thought I would join my age-appropriate thread. I am 32, but in my mind I feel I am 16 or thereabouts. I feel I will never grow up and undertake responsibilities like getting married and having kids. The whole thing scares me. Anyone feel the same?