For 30-somethings and those around that age

test account

6 minutes ago, Tenebrae said:

I miss Toronto. 

Come back?

1 hour ago, Tenebrae said:

But hanging out while both on the phone is the height of socialization especially if you're texting each other

We're not around anyone else that we know, so there's little need to text.

8 hours ago, Tenebrae said:

I work in a library. Lots of "normal" types there. Thank God interactions are like 5 mins....

I both miss and do not miss that. xD

1 hour ago, Tenebrae said:

But hanging out while both on the phone is the height of socialization especially if you're texting each other

But it's oh so more fun to throw your friend's phone against a wall if they're just sitting there on their phone. :D

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Cimmerian said:

I both miss and do not miss that. xD

But it's oh so more fun to throw your friend's phone against a wall if they're just sitting there on their phone. :D

Apparently that's mean and is not allowed. Not that I've done it....

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Cimmerian said:

Haha, my friend just looked at me like a kicked puppy and said sorry. ^_^

Can I please have your fiend??? 

MY cell phone addicted news junkie thinks that its height of cruelty to say no cell phones at the dinner table, or driving..... (bloody pokemon.....) or you know visiting his bloody mama..... that he doesn't see regularly cuz she's a snow bird.. 

Ahh... sorry..  got a little ranty there. 

• Like 1

One of my city's most interesting (and certainly the largest :D ) historical attractions is the fortification complex known as Festung Posen built in the 19th century when the city was under the Prussian rule. The parts of the compex that are open to the public often have a guided tour option available, and the main event meant to popularise the place and its history is called Festung Posen Days. The 5th edition is taking place this weekend.

I took this opportunity to visit one of the sites and wanted to share some pictures with you. This particular infantry shelter was actually built at the start of the 20th century, but it saw greatest activity during the Cold War era. The place was open to public 2 or 3 years ago and it hosts expositions highlighting various periods of its history. The association that takes care of the site have uploaded lots of photos that can be viewed on its Facebook page (3 photos of the WWI themed exposition can be found here )On this particular occassion the event at the shelter was themed around WW1 (with the slogan "1917- All quiet on the Western Front). You could see re-enactors in uniforms (including nurses), a mock trench and, of course, the expositions inside the shelter with elements of period weaponry, etc.

I snapped a few photos too.

Spoiler

Zdjcie0019.jpg

Spoiler

Zdjcie0007.jpg

Spoiler

Zdjcie0021.jpg

Spoiler

Zdjcie0020.jpg

By the way, how can I hide several photos under a single spoiler?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

By the way, how can I hide several photos under a single spoiler?

Hah. You've got the opposite problem to me. Just write [ Spoiler ] (No spaces) and then post your photos in succession, then [ / spoiler ]

Really cool pics. That seems really well preserved, like going back in time.

IntellectualAsexual

Do any other 30 something females on here wish they could be teenagers again? I am 33 and a lady, I think, and I had my young life stolen away by other people, so I want to relive it if possible. Is there anyone else like that on here?

Kinda do. 

More stereotypical stuff.  Like  going to movies and parties , you know things you see in the movies. Actually hanging out with friends in places that... aren't coffee shops..  and hanging with people not related to me... 

I started my part time job when I was 15 and then it was pretty much Tim Hortons and school for the next forever years. 

I was around 20 when I actually got a friend who was not related to me.. it was so cool. 

Mostly i I wish I wasn't claustrophobic and able to do big group things. 

Elftober Country
11 hours ago, IntellectualAsexual said:

Do any other 30 something females on here wish they could be teenagers again?

I've been feeling this way recently, perhaps not a teenager, maybe go back to my early twenties. I feel like I've lost the ability to have fun somewhere along the way. I used to be so much fun :huh: It's probably nothing to do with age though, it's more likely me being a bit rubbish and suffering from a lack of confidence :( 

• Like 1
sparklingstars

I really wish that I could use a time machine to go back to college or grad school.  With the skills that I've gained in my 30's I could be a lot more successful in my 20's!

Isn't that basically the essence of a midlife crisis? Suddenly realizing aaallllll the things you "missed out on" and wanting to relive that time?

I reached my peak at about 23. Been watching everything falling apart ever since.

• Like 1
Elftober Country
1 minute ago, Homer said:

Isn't that basically the essence of a midlife crisis? Suddenly realizing aaallllll the things you "missed out on" and wanting to relive that time?

I regret reading this, how do I erase it from my memory and slip back into a state of denial :o

*presses [rewind] button on @October Country's mind*

Also, "goulash cannons" are awesome!

• Like 3

I feel like I missed out on a good early 20s period of my life, and my late 20s were a consequence of a mix of bad luck and mediocre choices. I never had a chance to be hopeful when I was young. My 30s have been much better.

IntellectualAsexual

I missed out on my teenagehood, and that ruined the rest of my adult life.

9 hours ago, sparklingstars said:

I really wish that I could use a time machine to go back to college or grad school.  With the skills that I've gained in my 30's I could be a lot more successful in my 20's!

Same here. If today me was in college, I would have been a hell of a lot more successful. I would have at least made a better choice of major after biology didn't work out. 

• Like 1

I don't know if I would've made drastically different educational choices. A lot of the problem is I never had a strong conviction in what I wanted to do. I still don't. @SaturnOOOthinks I should've gone into sanitation policy. :P

• Like 3

I guess I made the right choice career-wise, even though it involves dealing with people while I'm not exactly a people person. This is helpful though, I don't feel as bad as I probably would (or should) when I screw up every now and then :D

I had no plan for my life to begin with and I still don't (other than getting this life thing done without causing too much damage), so I can't really complain

• Like 1
Elftober Country
2 hours ago, Snao Çoñé said:

I feel like I missed out on a good early 20s period of my life, and my late 20s were a consequence of a mix of bad luck and mediocre choices. I never had a chance to be hopeful when I was young. My 30s have been much better.

I'm really the opposite to this. I didn't completely settle on a career until I was around 28 and I kind of fell into it :huh:

I ended up going to uni as a part-time, mature student and I sort-of ended up with my degree and career by accident, rather than some sort of well thought out plan. Since then I've taken life a little too seriously and, as a consequence, I've had a lot less fun. When I was a directionless 20-year old I spent most of my time hanging out with friends and travelling. Looking back, it was a pretty great time in my life. Now my life seems very mundane. I'm still at a loss as to how I ended up in my current circumstances...

I now really regret my career choices, despite doing "ok" I have so much regret about not going to art college when I was 17 as I'd planned. I wonder what my life would have been like with a little more career guidance and encouragement :( 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snao Çoñé said:

I don't know if I would've made drastically different educational choices. A lot of the problem is I never had a strong conviction in what I wanted to do. I still don't. @SaturnOOOthinks I should've gone into sanitation policy. :P

:lol::lol::lol:

Why not? It's one way to use your strengths. 

My greatest regret right now is not buying a popcorn maker.

Seriously though I have thoughts on regrets, but I need to go find popcorn first.

I have no strengths. Just bar tricks to show off just enough to make people think I have strengths. :mellow:

1 hour ago, October Country said:

I ended up going to uni as a part-time, mature student and I sort-of ended up with my degree and career by accident, rather than some sort of well thought out plan.

Pretty much how I've lived my entire life, lol. Especially my first degree. A major depressive episode basically made my entire late teens/ early 20s a fog, so I have a lot of regrets during that time. I definitely "ended up with" that degree, and I still don't feel any sense of ownership over it. Or anything else I may have experienced or achieved during that period, for that matter.

I will say I can't manage to regret my ultimate choice of career, though. I did go through a period of self doubt, especially because my profession is also tied up in a lot of sexism and historical expectations that really shouldn't still be relevant. I definitely had some darker moments when I wondered if "they" were right: that I took the wrong path for an educated, intelligent woman. Luckily that period of my life passed quickly and I think was more of a reflection of my general mood and sense of directionlessness. But in the end, nursing was something I actively chose for myself (I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a well thought out plan, lol, but once the idea struck me, I was dogged in pursuing it.) It was one of the only major life decisions I've made where I really felt I claimed 100% agency in making it, so that's precious to me.

26 minutes ago, Snao Çoñé said:

I have no strengths. Just bar tricks to show off just enough to make people think I have strengths. :mellow:

I don't think that's true, but I know that feel.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, October Country said:

I now really regret my career choices, despite doing "ok" I have so much regret about not going to art college when I was 17 as I'd planned. I wonder what my life would have been like with a little more career guidance and encouragement :( 

Do you create any art on the side, as a hobby or more? I never really wanted to go to art college myself [though I considered it and still consider taking a few courses or workshops on occasion] but I decided to do art after previous 12-21 years of aiming in a completely different career direction, and have so far gone the 'self-taught' route... internet, books, studying and absorbing and applying as much as I can from what I observe. It's not easy... but... I guess I'm just saying it's possible to change course or add on something that you miss/regret not going for. 

1 hour ago, Snao Çoñé said:

You seem like you have a great deal of personal strength, character strength and friendship strength [or whatever words better represent these which I'm too tired to think of atm]... These strengths are not bar tricks or unimportant.  :]

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, grayRabbit said:

You seem like you have a great deal of personal strength, character strength and friendship strength [or whatever words better represent these which I'm too tired to think of atm]... These strengths are not bar tricks or unimportant.  :]

Aw, thanks. <3 I guess I just feel they're not the type that transfers to a lot of areas of life. I hate career-type socializing (i.e. networking) and I don't want to be the social glue of my extended family. I thrive better in online environments, so you all get to see the best of me here. :) Still doesn't really help with the whole finding a passion in life thing, unless AVEN counts as my passion. :P

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, Snao Çoñé said:

Aw, thanks. <3 I guess I just feel they're not the type that transfers to a lot of areas of life. I hate career-type socializing (i.e. networking) and I don't want to be the social glue of my extended family. I thrive better in online environments, so you all get to see the best of me here. :) Still doesn't really help with the whole finding a passion in life thing, unless AVEN counts as my passion. :P

They may not touch every area of life but they're pretty large, important areas of life. :)  I am right there with ya on networking... makes me shudder.  The best of you is awesome. And I think AVEN can easily count as a worthwhile passion... you're part of making people who come here more comfortable with themselves and feeling included and not alone. That's huge for a lot of people. ;) 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Snao Çoñé said:

Still doesn't really help with the whole finding a passion in life thing, unless AVEN counts as my passion. :P

Agreed. I keep looking for something that I'd actually enjoy doing for work, and anything I'm genuinely interested is almost impossible to get into. My preferences are too artsy for my own sanity.

• Like 2