Japanese "Lap Pillow"

Carsonspire

This Reuters article is partly outrageous and partly frightening. It is about exactly what the title of this thread indicates--Japanese manufacturers have apparently created a pillow in the shape of a female lap to "provide comfort" to single men.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&...japan_pillow_dc

quietbraggadocio

Hey, so long as they don't use it for more than a pillow, I'm fine with it. Personally I'd imagine the belly of a large fat man to be much softer, but I don't think that would have as good an appeal. (except for maybe the Buddists.)

Yeah, I saw them on the BBC News site. It was disturbing. It's like some seriel killer's dream. And hysterically funny.

Cate

From a country where you can buy used schoolgirl underwear in vending machines, it really doesn't surprise me that much!

If it's just used as a comfortable pillow, fine.

And if it's used as something more? Well, I don't really see what's wrong with that either.

I can think of plenty of sex toys readily available in Europe/America/etc. which are far more disturbing than this.

My guess is it's just a pillow, but what gets me about it is that it doesn't look comfortable. It looks like a neck cramp waiting to happen.

And uh....used schoolgirl underwear in vending machines?

Cate

Princess Brat

Well since they already had "boyfriend arm pillow" I guess it was expected. I wouldn't want either though. They look odd and not very comfy :roll:

Live R Perfect

How the hell does that substitute for any kind of 'company'?!

"I'll just lie down and rest my weary head on these DISEMBODIED LEGS. Its SUCH a comfort having HALF A WOMAN here, especially one made of FOAM."

:lol: Those crazy Japanese product designers :roll:

'Not too sure about the concept of sleeping with anatomically INcorrect, um ... S/O placebos, or whatever they are supposed to be.

They aren't warm, they aren't alive, and they don't care.

What's the point?

Feather pillows can be molded however you wish and will more or less stay the way you shape them. They don't actually produce their own heat, but once they get warm they are very cuddly.

I sleep with several, and usually form them into a draft-proof structure that completely surrounds me. (Picture a giant bird's nest!)

-Greybird

"I think this may be good for single men, but it could cause trouble for someone who is married," said Shingo Shibata, a 27-year-old company employee browsing at a toy store which sells the pillow.

:shock: I can just imagine the scene: "Bobby, have you been cuddling with that set of disembodied legs again?" :lol: But oh my...I would love to be one of those men who posed for that picture!

How about getting a teddy bear or stuffed animal? Cheaper and easier to cover. You can always say, "It's for my niece/cousin/friend's kids...etc."

Feather pillows can be molded however you wish and will more or less stay the way you shape them. They don't actually produce their own heat, but once they get warm they are very cuddly.

I sleep with several, and usually form them into a draft-proof structure that completely surrounds me. (Picture a giant bird's nest!)

I do the same thing! And I sleep with a couple of teddy bears named Hugbert and Toby. (I'm not ashamed! Shaddup!) Greybird, you and I have a lot of domestic similarities. I think of you when I'm walking around, gently placing my hands on surfaces looking for my glasses. :lol:

Cate

I'll often walk around blind as hell if I don't need to read or watch anything. I believe Greybird does, as well. It's kind of nice to have the world in soft, blurry colours.

Cate

I do the same thing! And I sleep with a couple of teddy bears named Hugbert and Toby. (I'm not ashamed! Shaddup!) Greybird, you and I have a lot of domestic similarities. I think of you when I'm walking around, gently placing my hands on surfaces looking for my glasses. :lol:

Cate

OMG! I can SOOO picture it! :lol:

*imagines the Magoo sisters*

And I'm the same as you .. I make no apologies about sleeping curled up in a ball of pillows. Sleep is serious business and I don't have time to waste tossing around and dodging drafts down my neck. "Whatever works" is my philosophy. If I happen to look like an insecure, emotionally screwed-up 4 year-old when I'm asleep I don't care, because, when I wake up, I will be a well-rested, competent professional. (Well ... that's the plan, anyway! :wink: )

-Greybird

Wow, you guys put your glasses down?!

Yeah, but only reluctantly or when I want to see something up close. This is becoming more of a problem month by month. The few times I slept with them on they got bent and I ended up with a weird mark on the side of my nose. OW!

My bifocals don't work right any more. (It's THEIR fault! NOT my vision getting worse! No WAY!! NOT NOT NOT!!!)

I probably need trifocals, but that ain't gonna happen for a loooong time. I still have my pride! .... if I can find where I laid it down ....

-Greybird

Fuzzy blankets are so nice. Okay, enough of that. My mother wanted to know what the thump sound from upstairs was. It was me, falling out of my chair cackling. What a useless... Wait, people are buying these. My respect for humanity is gone like a good sock in the dryer.

Archived