*gasps AVEN air happily*

VivreEstEsperer

VivreEstEsperer

*happily breathes in AVEN fumes after not being there in nine days* *gasp, gasp* ....who left the burner on when they were cooking cake?

Nine days is too long... sigh. Now that it's winter break though I should have much more time for AVEN! Woohoo! So much happens in nine days that I miss... think maybe I should boycott school :)

HAPPY CHRISMAHANUKKAHWANZA! or however my hallmate put it - merry christmas, happy hanukkah and happy kwanza put into one.

I remember last year we had a long Hanukkah thread...wonder if I can still find it....Hanukkah has been much less eventful this year since I've been stuck at school instead of celebrating at home...but I've lit the candles at least 6 out of 8 days, anyway. Happy Hanukkah to all!

*dives into stack of AVEN posts and tries not to get ahead of herself* I missed y'all!

Kate

The Evil Cashew

God i wish i could say i was on my winter break. i got 3 more exams to go! i would love to boycott school.. ok there are 2 of us any others?

i wish i had exam exemptions

~Cashew

VivreEstEsperer

I finished my last exam today....will you be done at the end of the week? I leave Friday...gave myself a couple days to pack.... *blanches at thought of approaching room* I swear, there are THINGS burried on my desk, I don't even want to know what...it's the leaning tower of Kate's desk!

VivreEstEsperer

Four hours and thirty four posts later, having gone through ten pages of new posts, I come up for air :) .... I love these intense all-immersion AVENing sessions...although I'd love it more if I actually was able to go to AVEN a few times a week and do less at a time instead of once every week or two and do marathon sessions... but since break is soon I shall have more time for AVEN soon! *cheers*

Metaleaf dan Blorie

Hey, more students! I'm afraid I've disappeared for the last while too. I went for four days with six hours of sleep for a little while there . . . :?

What kind of exams've kept you folks away?

Me, I don't have exams per se . . . I'm in the last semester of an art school, so I've been making a demo reel. I've finally got a decent build of it together, and am I ever relieved! It still seems like I've got a lot of work to do, and there's a lot of stress . . . but it's nice to have it done-ish.

And I've had three people/companies ASK for it so far so: WOOHOO! I'm gonna be employed straight outta school!

So, *cough*, yeah, I've been away. :roll:

Cashew, good luck with all your tests. :) If I hadn't already finished my last exam Monday, I'd boycot with you.

I've been kept away from AVEN because of my Art History final. I'm so happy it's over. *grateful sigh* All those names, dates, periods, Roman Emperors, and titles of works very nearly made me go out of my mind. Not to mention the comparison essays of two works. The test was Mon. and I'm still recovering. *lol*I'm very happy that this was the last Art History class I need for my major.

Metaleaf dan Blorie, are you an Art Film major? I saw that you mentioned a reel and so I wondered...

VivreEstEsperer, welcome back. :) Wow, for hours of post pages. I'm impressed. And be wary of what kind of fumes those are, ok. ;)I think someone left on a gas stove somewhere.

I have three more exams (i'm in high school) to take. I already made it past the first two, but those were my easy classes. I still have physics, geometry, and new testament exams--I'm terrified about the first two :cry:

Sob, sob. :cry:

How lucky are you, I have exams in january, so it's only part time feast and part time study. No way I can avoid that...

Oh, except if...

MMhh... :?

I've still got a Wuthering Heights test (I HATE that book), Algebra 2, and Biology. And I was gone for way longer than 9 nine days and it sucked. I can't wait til school is out and I can come back full-time!

I love AVEN

Metaleaf dan Blorie

Tawa: I'm actually studying art for video games. Employers like to see what you can do before they hire you, so usually students or other people wanting to get into the industry'll put together a short demo with their best work on it.

And I sympathize with your Art History woes! I've gone through several hellish Music History exams. Studying consisted of memorizing the textbook because I . . . didn't actually get to hear the pieces I was studying until very close to the exams . . . ack, why am I complaining? I did fine.

So yeah, try spelling Mendelssohn ten times. (I might have spelled it wrong here . . .)

. . . printing . . . CD . . . labels . . .

And I've had three people/companies ASK for it so far so: WOOHOO! I'm gonna be employed straight outta school!

*is mucho impressed* Fantastic! Gotta hear how they like your stuff.

Sorry, can't resist: Mendelssohn is famous for reviving the music of which older composer, and which specific piece did he use to do this ?

Tawa: I'm actually studying art for video games. Employers like to see what you can do before they hire you, so usually students or other people wanting to get into the industry'll put together a short demo with their best work on it..

Oh, yeah. You mentioned that in an earlier thread. I forgot. :oops:

Very neat.

And I sympathize with your Art History woes!
Thank you. It went fine. I got a ''B'' in the class.
So yeah, try spelling Mendelssohn ten times.

Nope. Can't do it.

The worst thing I had to memorize was "Apotheosis of Antonius Pius and Faustina". Yes. That's a title. :shock:

Metaleaf dan Blorie
Sorry, can't resist: Mendelssohn is famous for reviving the music of which older composer, and which specific piece did he use to do this ?

. . . Bach. St. Matthew's Passion.

You took the same exam, didn't you? :lol: That was one of the questions they loved asking.

The worst thing I had to memorize was "Apotheosis of Antonius Pius and Faustina". Yes. That's a title.

Yeek. That's . . . amazing. So, uh, what does apotheosis mean?

Incidentally: Portfolio show tomorrow! Graaoahghggghaaah! If there were a smiley that exploded, it would go here!

I've still got a Wuthering Heights test (I HATE that book), Algebra 2, and Biology. And I was gone for way longer than 9 nine days and it sucked. I can't wait til school is out and I can come back full-time!

I love AVEN

Alex, if I could have had the privilege of teaching you about Wuthering Heights, believe me, your opinion of the book would be higher. Try reading it again after a few years have gone by. I had a professor of 19th century literature and American Romanticism tell me why she doesn't teach Moby Dick, and I concur with her that some novels need to wait until after the reader's been alive a while to be meaningful.

And I just wanted to say that I wouldn't test you on the content of the novel. I'd give you a paper, no more than seven pages, to write about it over the course of a couple of weeks. An essay is better than a simple quiz on content any day.

*is mucho impressed* Fantastic! Gotta hear how they like your stuff.

Mendelssohn is famous for reviving the music of Mozart. He believed himself to be Mozart's spirit reborn, I think.

I can't answer the second part of the question.

The pieces of his I know are:

Academic Festival Overture (based on a drinking song, I'm told), Violin Concerto in E Minor, and his series of String Symphonies, which he composed when he was a teenager.

What does 'apotheosis' mean?

It means, in the piece, that Emperor Antonius Pius and his wife Faustinia (of Rome), were exhalted to divine rank once they died and went to heaven.

*Shrug* I didn't know exactly what it meant before I looked it up just now, either. :oops:

Mindlife, I want you as my teacher. :)

VivreEstEsperer

I had Soc exams and...speech..and something else *seems so far away now*

Now I am home..woohoo...cold and snowy Maine. Although it was 50 degrees today. That made me happy. Cus it was 5 a few days ago.

Hope everyone's finals went well.

Archived