6:00 a.m., 1 hour to sleepy time.

quietbraggadocio

quietbraggadocio

I've been working since midnight, not on a paper, or studing for a test, or project; I'm working as in working a job. I'm getting paid min wage ($5.15 an hour) for the easiest job I've ever even heard of. I sit at a computer and read web comics. If someone has a problem I help them out, count heads every half hour, and clean up stuff. Thats it, easy.

The catch is I'm working from 12:00 midnight to 7:00 a.m. for the next five straight nights. I'm doing fine, but I'm very happy to know that there is a bed waiting for me at the end of it. At least I get a cool hat.

I can identify. I have a job where I work from 10pm-6am four nights a week. That allows me to read and write, AVEN, watch DVDs, etc. AND I don't have to be around anyone else. It's brilliant. It also pays crap and has no benefits so, after three years of being lazy as hell, I'm looking for a new job. *sigh*

How long do you have the graveyard shift? Is it a permanent position or are you just filling in for someone?

Cate

quietbraggadocio

A few people quit this job before me (wonder why) and they were asking for immediate employment. This is actually my first night, but I'm glad to see its as simple as it seems. If I work it over the spring term I can get these hours again too, but most opt for better times.

Its funny you you said 'graveyard shift', thats what they were calling it all through the training. The hours are a bit extreme, even for me, but the 35 hours a week is nice. Normally I go to bed around 4:00 a.m., I'll just have to start sleeping in the afternoons.

Right. It took me two weeks to get accustomed to it, and I'm a natural night-owl. It was more an adjustment to doing errands when everyone else was sleeping. However, it's nice doing the grocery shopping at 6.30 in the morning--I have the store to myself. I sleep from about 9am-8pm and find a sleep mask very helpful.

Cate

• 2 weeks later...
VivreEstEsperer

do you work at the school computer lab?

i do, and that's the EXACT starting wage I made, to the penny. Weird. now i think it's 5.75 cus I've worked here for like almost every semester ive been here and im a junior. a lot of people here have had computer lab supervising jobs.

Kate

Live R Perfect

Sounds similar to my job, except that I do have other stuff to be getting on with most of the time. But that doesn't stop me slacking off! :lol: I'm going to get a hell of a shock when I have to get a REAL job....

Sounds like a good job to me. I'm a creature of the night. On non-holidays I'd go to sleep between 01:00 and 03:30 and on holidays I'd switch sleeping patterns altogether. : )

quietbraggadocio

Its crazy, I've been running on vampire hours. I go to sleep when the sun is just coming up, and wake up after its down. The other day I had to go out during the day for classes, it was horrible. I hadn't seen the sun in days, I was walking around in sunglasses, even indoors where natural sunlight came in. It was just like walking to and fro during the night, except there was now this distant burning blinding ball flooding everything around me. I like the night, I am now truly nocturnal.

My sleep pattern snapped. It basicly said, "Wtf! You want to sleep when? Screw this, I quit! Do whatever the hell you want consciousness." I'll lay down for 15 minutes, any time at all now, and fall asleep. And also I'll yawn all the time, even after I've had a good nine hours of sleep, and I'm never tired, even after staying up for classes.

The only bad part is that when I'm not working I'm still up at those hours. This town is dull during the day, between 7pm to 9am (soon to be during winter break too mind you), the boredom is going to drive me nuts. I was arguing with a friend about this, a vampire couldn't exist in this town, its actually too boring! Feeding takes what, an hour, two at tops? That leaves another good seven or eight hours! What would he do? Go for a walk? Go loitering at Walmart? That dosen't seem very 'mysterious undead' to me.

Silly Green Monkey

Yeah, vampires usually like to hang out at a club or something. We've got one or two of those, but they close when the bars do. Could always become a computer game vampire, play games all through the night....

I intend to get some sewing done over the break. Finally get my cloak assembled.

Wow. A vampire with a cool hat. Man, you have it all!

*LonePiper wants quietbraggadocio's hat*

Archived