Do you get asked out a lot?

Jewelsandcrowns

Jewelsandcrowns

Hi 8)

So what do you do when someone asks you out??

I'm at a trade exhibition this week and we talk to a lot of people in our industry and I always get asked for lunch and dinner and to shows and stuff by stangers. Just get asked "so what you're doing this evening?"

Yesterday I said I was busy to this guy who then said "how about tomorrow?" I said no, then he asked "boyfriend? will he mind?" then I said "yes" (i don't have a boyfriend but to get rid of him I said did). So last night I found a good excuse.

So what do you do??

prettyeyes

I get a lot of people flirting with me or asking if I'm single but hardly ever does someone actually want to make plans with me like that.

People don't tend to ask me out - I think I give off an ace vibe. But once I was asked out by this guy when my friends dragged me out to a club (never again!) this guy asked me out, and I told him that he didn't want to go out with me becuase I would never have sex with him. He ran away v-e-r-y- quickly!!

In my 20's and 30's,I wouldn't let men ask me out but now that i'm 40 years old,I love men asking me out.

the_unstable

I don't really get asked out. I think that's partly because I'm hardly in public and the rest of it is because I have a green, red, and blue mohawk and several piercings. It scares people. I probably give off some kind of vibe, too...That would explain why I was never asked out back in high school when I looked normal.

If I were to get asked out a lot, I'd just say I have a boyfriend (or girlfriend!).

asexual cake

People don't tend to ask me out - I think I give off an ace vibe. But once I was asked out by this guy when my friends dragged me out to a club (never again!) this guy asked me out, and I told him that he didn't want to go out with me becuase I would never have sex with him. He ran away v-e-r-y- quickly!!

I think this might be a recognizable trend. One of my friends once told me that I gave off a feeling of "If you are attracted to me/approach me, I will castrate you," which I found both uproariously funny and most probably true.

I've never actually been asked out, though, and - as someone who doesn't really talk to people (or talk a lot, generally) and dressing in boring, ill-fitting clothes with minimal attention paid to other parts of my appearance - I don't really expect it to happen.

P is for...

I think this might be a recognizable trend.

add me to that trend. i've been told the exact same thing for most of my life, using that exact word--a "vibe". every relationship i have ever been in has been with someone i got to know rather well before it turned into anything else; i can count on one hand (and still have fingers left over) the number of strangers who have expressed an interest in going out with me.

once again, before coming to AVEN, i thought that was just me. and once again i'm relieved to find it's not.

phantomwriter

I've come up with a plan to say that I have a boyfriend, and if the guy still doesn't go away, talk incessently about said fake-boyfriend. I have a best friend who is a guy, so I just start talking about him and how great he is.

The problem is, I usually get asked out by friends who know that I do not have a boyfriend, so I just try to let them down easy, while also being firm that I do not like them like that.

My problem is that I have a girl-next-door personality mixed with a one-of-the-guys personality. I like to joke around and tease my guy friends, but I can also be really sweet/nurturing, etc. But that's only with my friends. With guys I don't know I tend to give off a "talk to me and I'll castrate you" vibe.

pawprint prettysure

No one has ever asked me out, so... no, I don't get asked out a lot :P

If someone actually did ask me out, I'd probably first laugh at them and then be like "you kiddin', right?".

Guest Viinasu

i always politely tell them off until they finally get the hint and go away.... i don't go out too much, so it's not a huge problem, but i need a better strategy anyway.... i hate being hit on..... XD

Tabula Rasa

I have never been asked out, and frankly I'm surprised that there are others who have never been asked out!

I thought it was just me... hmm.

I need to get out more. :lol:

I've never been asked out, chalk that up to the societal stigma that women should not ask a man to go out and my general introversion and distaste for 99% of what's considered social for people my age (bars/clubs etc)

women dont have the balls to ask out men, so its easy, i just stand still and do nothing and they flirt and just give up, haha

greycockatiel

women dont have the balls to ask out men, so its easy, i just stand still and do nothing and they flirt and just give up, haha

It's not so much that we don't have the balls to ask them out, it's more of that we were taught not to ask guys out. My parents taught me that if a guy doesn't ask you out it's because he doesn't like you enough and asking them out would be degrading on your part.

Anyhow, I'm a pretty bubbly person who enjoys hugs so I get asked out a bit (especially since entering college). I just smile and tell them that I have a boyfriend (lie). I found that this is the best way to get them off your back if you aren't interested and aren't very close to them. Some of my other gal friends try to go with the 'i'm a lesbian, don't bother me' but that just seems to get a lot of guys more interested.

I have never been asked out, and frankly I'm surprised that there are others who have never been asked out!

Why do you have the quadratic formula as your signature? Just wondering. ^-^ Every time I see it my mind breaks out into the song we learned in school to memorize it.

Anyways! I've only been asked out a couple of times, but I've been flirted with a bunch (or so I've been told. I'm kind of oblivious to that. ^-^;), mostly from guys at gaming conventions or the like.

Oh my god. In high school, I wasn't necessarily formally asked out a lot but a lot of people expressed interest in me. I can't see why. Even now, a lot of my friends who I thought were just friends were disappointed and said they missed their chance with me when I asked our mutual friend out. It throws me for a loop.

There was one kid in high school who sent me notes and bought me a couple things... before it got out of hand, I told the person delivering the notes to relay to him that I'm not interested and I didn't want him spending money on me. I found out what it was and he never talked to me after that... it was really unfortunate. I've never told anybody I was dating somebody because I wasn't. Generally I was able to avoid my admirers. I was told by a friend (WHO USED TO HAVE A CRUSH ON ME TOO) that they're intimidated by me so they don't approach me. And she asked them, too. Again, I don't see why these people think these things about me.

Tabula Rasa

Why do you have the quadratic formula as your signature? Just wondering. ^-^ Every time I see it my mind breaks out into the song we learned in school to memorize it.

'cause I'm a mathoholic. ^_^

'cause I'm a mathoholic. ^_^

Cool. ^-^ I hate math for school, but I love interesting things in math. ^-^; I just hate being forced to learn it at the pace of everyone else.

Moderately.

I'm bi-romantic, but I mostly get asked out by guys because according to my lesbian friend, I look and act too "straight." I didn't know that straight people looked or acted the same way but anyways.

Are you talking about the song that goes like "negative b, negative b, plus or minus square root, plus or minus square root..."? Haha, it's summer break and I'm still trying to recover from the trauma of getting a 49 on the algebraic expression test...

I don't really, but then again i'm really oblivious when someone asks me out. Apparently my boyfriend was giving me hints, really obvious ones, and i still didn't notice until he had to bluntly ask me out, and i laughed at him >____>;

I also give off the "i don't need anyone" vibe. I was told this recently by my friend since he asked "why i don't seem to be interested in anyone" Which can be intimidating for people, and they don't know how to make out how i think apparently. It was interesting, and i was slightly flattered. :ph34r:

What do I do when someone asks me out? Well, I am yet to be interested in people in a romantic or sexual way, so that means I'll eventually turn down all requests. However, devilish as I am, I take great delight in "fooling around" with people, only on an occasional basis of course. It's great fun to be playful every now and then :D I've concsiously turned down somewhere around 10 to 20 girls or so and a handful of gay gyus too lol. In my small and limited experience there is a clear distinction between a confident woman and a shy one: the first one sure as hell isn't afraid to try her luck while the shy one just keeps looking to the ground, blushing and smiling and so forth. But I guess that's common knowledge anyways.

It would be intriguing to know someday that what exactly is the vibe that people assume that they read. Afterall, one would expect that aromantic people are somewhat boring or dull - or maybe that's just my misguided assumption.

Are you talking about the song that goes like "negative b, negative b, plus or minus square root, plus or minus square root..."? Haha, it's summer break and I'm still trying to recover from the trauma of getting a 49 on the algebraic expression test...

Nope. Our school's is to the tune of Pop Goes the Weasel It's "Negative B plus or minus the square root, of B squared, minus four A~ C, all over 2A."

The best antidote for being asked out is to get older lol.....I was asked out sometimes when i was younger though. :)

That said, I was (to my surprise) asked out at work about a month back. I was kept talking in the canteen (they actually closed and re-opened it), but I would not give my number details out, as I really need to know someone, what their true personality is like, etc. The person came in the office later, so I ducked under my desk.

After a while, someone asked the guy next to me, why exactly is Fluffy under her desk I heard him dryly reply, “If it was anyone else I would be worried, but it's Fluffy and you know what she is like.” I then popped my head above the desk in time to see them both roll their eyes towards the heavens………….. tee hee :)

asexual cake

Nope. Our school's is to the tune of Pop Goes the Weasel It's "Negative B plus or minus the square root, of B squared, minus four A~ C, all over 2A."

We used that same song! And my class (I was in a "Gifted and Talented" program for middle school, and now I'm in a math/science magnet program, which is irrelevant) was just a bunch of easily exciteable nerds, so we sang it a lot.

Moderately.

I'm bi-romantic, but I mostly gets asked out by guys because according to my lesbian friend, I look and act too "straight." I didn't know that straight people looked or acted the same way but anyways.

Maybe it's just that you don't act gay? Like, you conform (more?) to the conventions of femininity, like having longer hair and wearing more fitted clothes or... something?

I say this because I've been mistaken for a lesbian several times because I don't act very 'feminine' and wear men's clothes, don't use make-up, and never do anything with my hair. So.

I think this might be a recognizable trend.

add me to that trend. i've been told the exact same thing for most of my life, using that exact word--a "vibe". every relationship i have ever been in has been with someone i got to know rather well before it turned into anything else; i can count on one hand (and still have fingers left over) the number of strangers who have expressed an interest in going out with me.

once again, before coming to AVEN, i thought that was just me. and once again i'm relieved to find it's not.

Me four, although I'm not sure if that's because I tend to be pretty out (and when I wasn't, I was fairly withdrawn in general) about being asexual. I also tend to retreat behind professionality or formality when I'm dealing with people I don't know and often take a while to warm up to new people, so I don't know if that might be a factor.

We used that same song! And my class (I was in a "Gifted and Talented" program for middle school, and now I'm in a math/science magnet program, which is irrelevant) was just a bunch of easily exciteable nerds, so we sang it a lot.

We never had a "gifted and talented" program. In any of the schools! Yay for small towns. x-x All of us smart kids pretty much rebelled and never did our homework because we already knew and understood what was supposedly being taught to us, and the teachers knew it too... We pretty much got free reign though, so that was okay, I guess...

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

*singing* X EQUALS OPPOSITE B PLUS OR MINUS SQUARE ROOT OF B-SQUARED MINUS 4 A C! ALL OVER 2 A!!!

I am weird enough to randomly burst out with that whenever I feel like it. This is probably why (until my current girlfriend) I was never asked out by anyone except creepers or desperate boys who would fuck anything with 2 X chromosomes. I also gave off...well, not an "ace" vibe, but an "I have no use for other humans" vibe that only creepers could ignore.

zoidberger

And now, what with being in a long-term relationship and happily engaged, obviously I'd just tell anyone the truth: "Sorry, I'm taken!"

Damn right! :wub: :P

I don't think I've been asked out or gone on a formal date, that I can recall.

Are you kidding me? Me getting asked out?

When pigs fly

Archived