Yay, I made my own binder!

sindi

I got frustrated of not finding tops that would make me flat enough, so I decided to sew something myself XD I'm definitely not good at sewing things, I've neverm sewn one single cloth fpr myself successfully (I've tried though), and even now I made a couple of FAIL binders to start with :blush:

Then I remembered one fabric that I had in my closet which is very strong and doesn't stretch at all. Then I simply sew a slice of it inside a random old top (not a sport one, just a simple one) and made it tie-able at the back :) And it WORKS! ^_^ ^_^ The only problem is that it's a little difficult to tie by yourself, but I guess that practice makes a pro or something...

Well, this one was just kind of an experiment, but it shows that in the future I could make better ones, and that it's actually very easy! If I with my zero sewing skills could make it, surely anyone else could do the same :lol: :lol:

Wow, good job, lindi. I wear a do-it-yorself binder too and I'm thinking of making a new one real soon so I'd appreciate any more tips you share.

My own creation is made of stretchy material so I hook it up in the front and then manage to turn it around so that the buttons are on the back. But in your case you'll have to learn to tie it yourself, I guess.

Amputation Defenestration

Ooooh do you have pictures? Of the binder, I mean. You're giving me ideas! ;]

Ooooh do you have pictures? Of the binder, I mean. You're giving me ideas! ;]

Oh, I don't think I'll take pictures of this one, 'cause it's really ugly XD The top that I used has some spots by a chlorine accident... 'cause I wasn't sure if I will succeed, I used that ruined top... :blush: But now that I've test-used it (this whole evening) and it seems to work fine, I think I'll make a better version soon and that one will probably tolerate some daylight :lol: Anyway, it's like as simple as it can be, so there's not much to learn about it ;)

Wow, good job, lindi. I wear a do-it-yorself binder too and I'm thinking of making a new one real soon so I'd appreciate any more tips you share.

My own creation is made of stretchy material so I hook it up in the front and then manage to turn it around so that the buttons are on the back. But in your case you'll have to learn to tie it yourself, I guess.

Thanks! :) Hmm... I didn't think about the option that you could probably tie it at the front and then turn it around, I'll need to see if that would work on my top too!! (I manage to tie it myself, but it's a little difficult... ) The problem with knots seems to be, though, that they loosen a little bit with time... so probably I should use a different (less slippery) material for the tieing laces when I make the next one (now I just used thin slices of that same fabric)... Buttons are probably the best option of them all, I was just too lazy to sew all the button-holes :lol: :lol:

Condemned Valour

It sounds like you used a similar method to the garments that are/were used to restrain womens' waists (Corsets these days, though I'm certain there was another term for them in the past. Stomachers?). You just slipped it up the ways a bit.

Just be careful that you don't tie it too tightly-- take a comfortable breath before you tie it off. Doing so will minimize the negative side-effects of binding.

what kind of fabric did you use?

I don't know what to call it... :blink: I just randomly bought it some time ago for some totally different purpose (that I never carried out). The weave looks a little similar to jeans (it goes diagonally... ), but the whole thing is thinner & "finer" (consists of thinner strings) than jeans and a little bit shiny :wacko: Even if it's thinner than jeans, it's still quite thick, and absolutely not stretchy. Downside: it's a little slippery (but not that badly). :blink:

It sounds like you used a similar method to the garments that are/were used to restrain womens' waists (Corsets these days, though I'm certain there was another term for them in the past. Stomachers?). You just slipped it up the ways a bit.

Yes, that's exactly what I did :) And 'cause it's sewn inside a regular top (with shoulder straps, obviously) it doesn't fall down and become a "stomacher" instead :lol: :lol:

Archived