2. 2. Do you define as transgender?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
  3. 3. Do you define as genderqueer?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
  4. 4. Do you feel strongly male or female?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

This poll is closed to new votes

emmarainbow

We all know there's a lot of discussion about gender here on AVEN, so I thought we'd have a simple poll to get some happy statistics - I'd love to see how many trans people there are, especially since I'm being quite critical or my own gender atm.

Any comments or queries? Love to hear them! :D

mort paradis

i think this is one of the best gender polls i've seen, i'm rather impressed ^_^

Male, tho I don't feel strongly about it. Feeling strong sounds kinda weird to me, but I can see how people would feel that way.

I'm Female to Male pre-op/non-op transgendered.

Cool poll btw Emma :D

This is a well put together poll. -I'm a transace. MTF vectorred. -I feel like a mixture of male and female inside -but definitely more female than male.

And I wonder how many asexual transpeople there are in the UK? ('cos that's where I'm from)

I know loads of people who ID as trans in London, -but so far I've not met anybody from London who's both trans and ace. -I used to exchange e-mails with somebody from the midlands who was non-op, identified as pangendered and asexual, -but haven't yet met them in person.

In London most of the transpeople I've met ID as either straight, gay, bisexual or queer. I ID as genderqueer to a certain extent but I'm not into participating in 'play parties' like most of the genderqueers on the London trans scene seem to want to do.

Another thing I've noticed as well. It seems that there are more people who identify as genderqueer, who have transitioned, or partially transitioned in a male to female direction than in a female to male direction.

I've always wondered whether there are people who ID as neutrois who identify as genderqueer as well? -or whether that's a separate thing entirely?

I find all this stuff interesting. Most of the transwomen I've met usually had miniscule sex drives pre-hormones and pre-op -partly due to not relating to having the wrong body.

When I was transitioning, at the time I told my therapist (a guy called Russell Reid)that I had zero sex drive, and asked him if this was 'normal' for a transwoman. He said that he's seen quite a lot of case where the person just wasn't interested in sex before the hormones and op. He said that 'usually the person will develop a sexuality after the op -but in quite a few cases it just fails to materialise'.

Ten years and counting I guess I'm just one of those cases.

While I've been pre, and post op I've dated people I've found aesthetically attractive, funny, cute, sweet, or intellectually stimulating, be they bio-males, bio-females, transwomen, or, more recently a non-op transman, -but no lust has materialised -and every time I've had sex I've felt as though they've got what they've wanted -while I've felt quite indifferent to having sex. -As though I was just 'going through the motions' for the sake of cultural convention -and nothing more. -I feel like I've exhausted the possibilities now, and I don't think anything will change -because left to my own devices I just don't think about sex at all -and I don't look at people in that way. I've set foot in the door of a sex club (that quite a few of my more sexually inclined trans friends regularly go to) but even surrounded by people shagging and beating each other's asses black and blue, nothing turns me on. -People might be pretty or handsome, but if they're horny I just find it intimidating -and I shy away 'cos I don't want to get involved because the prospect of sex is just too much for me to deal with.

The best relationships I've had have always been the ones where there has been the least pressure upon me to have sex. One relationship lasted nearly five years and we only tried having sex maybe three or four times. She had a very low libido and didn't seem to care too much that I wasn't interested in sex. Eventually we broke up, and alas I was thrust back into the world of horny people again. Aaarghhhh! ...That was until I found AVEN.

Because of what my therapist doctor told me when I was pre-op about the possibility of a sexuality 'materialising over time' I was open minded about the idea that it might have happened, -only it didn't. All the time I've recognised internally that I was ace -but I've remained open minded, and has different scenarios have presented themselves they've only served to reinforce what I've known all along.

I'd be interested to know if there are any transwomen out there who've had a similar experience to me -being trans and ace. -I'd like to know when they made the conclusion they were ace, and whether they ended up putting themselves through all the stuff I've put myself through.

Plus I'd really like to know other ace transpeople's stories, whether they're male to female, female to male, or genderqueer.

-In fact I'd like to know anybody who's gender variant and asexual's stories just so we can compare notes, -regardless of whether they're trans, intersex, neutrois, or any other gender orientation.

-I've done quite a few posts on the subject of my own gender variance, -which should be easily browsable to using the 'browse user's posts' thing, if anybody is interested in more of my story.

Nico-Nico Friendo

I don't really know what my gender is at this point, so I didn't answer.

I'm a girl, but not a girly-girl by any means.

Aimeendfire

female..but not strongly so.

there used to be a time when I desperately wished to be male.

CrazyCatLover

I'm female, but I don't see myself as having any gender. Occasionally, I have a strong feeling of being a woman or a strong feeling of being a man. Interestingly, I seem to have the strongest female identification in situations where I have to demonstrate confidence, competence, and strength (which are traditionally male characteristics). What I find especially interesting is that I am much more successful at showing these traits when I feel like a women that when I lack gender identity or feel like a man.

Physically female, non-physically androgynous... AKA: feel neither feminine nor masculine, but have all the female parts.

heatdissipation

Strongly female, not trans or genderqueer.

emmarainbow

Thank you everyone! :) There are a hell of a lot of trans people on aven aren't there...

Awesomes! ^.^

(Not that cis people aren't lovely too, o'course!)

emmarainbow
Neutrois male, so neither male nor female but on the male side. The results don't really surprise me.

I just thought that the trans members of the forum were noisier... turns out there are just a lot of them! :)

Look like a girly girl but don't feel like one (or act like one). 8) Agreed, nice poll.

I'm tech. female. As a kid, I played rough and was basically a tomboy, then at 10 or so was bi, then 13 asexual, then in denial of all of the above. I identify with both genders and switch roles often-although I'm mostly in-between. I don't know all of the terminology yet..

I'm a girl, but someimtes (ALL the time) I dress in "boy clothes, but not BOY clothes. Just small t-shirts and skinny jeans. I hate dressing all prissy and revealing all that skin and loking glamorous, plus my body is not flattering, all "flat abs and toned arms, betch". Wish it were, though.

Umi_No_Tenshi

I'm physically female and if I had to I would check off the female box on a survey or whatever, but I would love to be neuter of gender. I do consider myself queergender. I'm really interested in the Native American idea of Two Spirit even though I'm a lily white caucasian. Sometimes I feel strongly female because that's how I was raised and other times I just feel fluid, neither male or female. When I was younger I would wish that I was a boy but I never really developed any masculine traits.

Nongendered. Neutrois. Just me. No genders!

I have harsh, heart wretching criticism of both the masculine and feminine philosophies. No mercy anywhere.

• 1 month later...
Elliott Ford

I'm FtM. And kinda also genderless.

I feel extremely strongly NOT-FEMALE and want to look like and be treated as male. Most of the time, i also FEEL male - just not always and not always strongly. I'm kinda fluid along the male spectrum, if that makes sense.

My "full" sex and gender identity at the moment is probly something like this:

an Asexual Polyamorous Hetero-Queer Transgendered Genderfluid Genderless FtM Transexual Man

:) :cake: :)

please delete this account

it is indeed a very thourough poll :) :cake:

i feel a bit like solo-san and Jordan.

If labels were to be used then i'd probably be described as something like:

an asexual andro-genderless/third gender queeromantic. Maybe some would describe me as androgynous, i don't know....

As it happens, i feel it's much more important for people to get to know me - so that's what i identify as, i'm just me. Gender has always been a bit strange to me, i've never paid much attention to it because to me it's not important when knowing people. Actually, i used to always assume that words like heterosexual meant something like 'attracted to opposite sex irrespective of gender'... i used to think that for the all of them, but apparently not :/ so i guess i'm just queer.

I can sometimes seem really flippant when presented with a long list of adjectives like that, i don't mean to, but i'm very often just alienated by it because i just see people the vast majority of the time and sometimes just get frustrated :|. *meh*

However, i do understand transgender. I do understand the concept of being x in body y (oversimlified, i know), but i don't always understand its relevence when knowing people :/, because to me they're just people.

heatdissipation
Male, no, no, no.

Do I get a cookie?

-hands cookie :P

I'm tech. female. As a kid, I played rough and was basically a tomboy, then at 10 or so was bi, then 13 asexual, then in denial of all of the above. I identify with both genders and switch roles often-although I'm mostly in-between. I don't know all of the terminology yet..

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but how can someone realize they're bi(sexual, I assume) at 10? I didn't even realize sex applied to me at that age. (Not that it does now, but that's different. :P)

...My "full" sex and gender identity at the moment is probly something like this:

an Asexual Polyamorous Hetero-Queer Transgendered Genderfluid Genderless FtM Transexual Man

What's "Hetero-Queer"?

-hands out :cake: to make up for all the questions

Sorry, but......

Gender != Sex

If you're going to ask "What is your gender," you should be listing gender identities - Man, Woman, etc. "Male" and "female" refer to sex.

Also, when you ask if we define as transgender, what do you mean? Are we technically transgender, or do we identify as it? Because, technically, I am transgender, but I'd rather just call myself a guy, or nothing at all, and be done with it. I don't really consider being transgender as part of my gender identity. *shrug*

Good poll otherwise. I'm glad you gave different questions to transgender and genderqueer...

endplusone
Sorry, but......

Gender != Sex

If you're going to ask "What is your gender," you should be listing gender identities - Man, Woman, etc. "Male" and "female" refer to sex.

Good poll otherwise. I'm glad you gave different questions to transgender and genderqueer...

Arguably, they're interrelated. It's a bit more complex.

Female, though I don't always feel it. I only feel it in terms of physical appearance and when I'm around certain other people. I don't feel strongly gendered in the way in which I think of myself. Not transgendered, and I don't identify as genderqueer though I suppose my opinions and interests regarding gender theory would be considered as such.

Elliott Ford
it is indeed a very thourough poll :) :cake:

i feel a bit like solo-san and Jordan.

If labels were to be used then i'd probably be described as something like:

an asexual andro-genderless/third gender queeromantic. Maybe some would describe me as androgynous, i don't know....

As it happens, i feel it's much more important for people to get to know me - so that's what i identify as, i'm just me. Gender has always been a bit strange to me, i've never paid much attention to it because to me it's not important when knowing people. Actually, i used to always assume that words like heterosexual meant something like 'attracted to opposite sex irrespective of gender'... i used to think that for the all of them, but apparently not :/ so i guess i'm just queer.

I can sometimes seem really flippant when presented with a long list of adjectives like that, i don't mean to, but i'm very often just alienated by it because i just see people the vast majority of the time and sometimes just get frustrated :|. *meh*

However, i do understand transgender. I do understand the concept of being x in body y (oversimlified, i know), but i don't always understand its relevence when knowing people :/, because to me they're just people.

I'm really flippant with the labels thing. i would never present someone in real life with all of that :) (though having said that, i'm out as trans, queer and ace...).

I am just a person, just me . but some people need to know that i'm a transexual before they'll treat me properly :( *wishes the sentences "I'm a boy" and "Please call me "he"" actually worked rather than just provoking people into asking me all about trans-ness just because i (currently) look like a girl*

I like being able to categorise stuff. And that includes me. But i don't really "fit" any neat-and-tidy boxes so i end up admitting here that i'm in several. I guess that makes me Queer, as a sexual, romantic and gender orientation/expression. But i can't be satisfied with that and neither can anyone i'm talking to about this kind of thing. So i just use whichever labels seem most relevant. For example, very few people outside of AVEN know that i'm "transgendered", even fewer that i'm "genderless".

Also, i think a lot of people who define as "heterosexual" "homosexual" etc haven't considered trans and genderqueer people and are expecting to be attracted to someone with the appropriate sex AND gender. I know people who are attracted to sex regardless of gender and others attracted to gender regardless of sex, it can go both ways.

...My "full" sex and gender identity at the moment is probly something like this:

What's "Hetero-Queer"?

"Hetero-Queer" is a word i picked up somewhere on the internet (not all of my vocabulary is internet based, honest!). I'm using it to describe me here (for the first time ever) because i'm predominately heteroromantic. I like female people, regardless of physical sex. BUT i'm not completely heteroromantic, i'm attracted to non-binary people of any sex and also to transmen. And even a few cismen. I don't want to expressedly exclude any kind of person on the basis of sex or gender but i also don't want to say that i truly could be in a relationship with anyone regardless of gender.

I usually just define as Queer. But, for the most part, i'm straight. And very happy that my beautiful partner does not find this strange despite being genderless hirself. I love hir so sie sees no problem in being an exception to my "usual" preferences :D

please delete this account

Something i came across, but i didn't want to make a seperate board for it or anything, so not sure how related it is :s :

http://www.nouse.co.uk/2009/05/26/welfare-...nt-ugm-motions/

i don't think there's any point ranting back (it could just make things worse?) but it still made of *headdesk* -oh well :/

Archived