Hello - new

Emily

I don't think you need to get too far away from using terms and words to define yourself (I stay away from the word lable, reminds me of a grocery store or scientist's shelf) and I sure don't mind defining my sexuality. It's not the first thing on the list I would say about myself (tho' I probably will stick it pretty close to the top next time some guy hits on me "Hi, I'm Cijay, I'm asexual and not looking for a relationship, glad to meet you." LOL) but it is part of who I am. Any time you volunteer a "term" for who you are, it's best that it be relevant to the situation. I'm not going to put that I'm epileptic on a job application or penpal ad but I'd mention it at a new dentist's or doctor's office because it's something they may need to know. So, I don't use asexuality to define myself but if the need comes up in a conversation, I'm ready to use it.

VivreEstEsperer

Hi Emily! Welcome to AVEN! I hope you enjoy it here!

Kate

Hi Emily

Welcome to AVEN

I'm 32 but it was only last year, having found AVEN that I accepted myself as being asexual. It was a long journey to get here having fended off boyfriends in the past (because I was scared of them making a move sexually towards me!) before having a relationship with another woman but never quite accepting myself as a lesbian. I remember being really emotional when I first found the site because for the first time in my life I'd managed to find other people that I could really relate to.

AVEN is a fab community - Glad you found us all. Enjoy!!

Archived