What's your attitude toward sex?

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Poll: Repulsed, Indifferent, or Sex-Positive?  

1. 1. Select the option that best describes your attitude toward sex.

• Sex-positive
    • Indifferent
    • Repulsed
    • Don't know/never thought about it

This poll is closed to new votes

I hate to mince words, but I don't think that's the right definition of sex-positive. I thought it was more like (from Wikipedia):

Sex-positive, a term that's coming into cultural awareness, isn't a dippy love-child celebration of orgone – it's a simple yet radical affirmation that we each grow our own passions on a different medium, that instead of having two or three or even half a dozen sexual orientations, we should be thinking in terms of millions. "Sex-positive" respects each of our unique sexual profiles, even as we acknowledge that some of us have been damaged by a culture that tries to eradicate sexual difference and possibility.

I do consider myself sex-positive, even though I'm somewhat repulsed by sex when it comes to sex that would be happening to me.

So, if "sex-positive" isn't the right word, what is? Seriously. Is there a better term than "sex-positive" for an asexual who is willing to have sex or interested in it despite the lack of attraction?

Maybe for these purposes, "interested" would be the right term?

Indifferent as long as I'm not involved. I've tried it and found I not only don't care if I never do it again I'd prefer not to.

Sex-positive but slightly indifferent as well.

I can't explain it.

I picked "sex-positive", "indifferent", and "repulsed" because I don't think sex is bad, but if I ever think about personally doing it, or if I think about the details, I get really grossed out. Yuck.

Indifferent.

No problem with sex at all, so long as I'm not involved in it.

*nods* Same with me. I'm indifferent, and don't mind if others are doing it, so long as it doesn't involve me.

I voted sex-positive, but... I don't think that term applies to me being interested/ok with having sex - it's more of an attitude towards sex & sexuality in general for me.

• 4 weeks later...
Dame du Lac
I hate to mince words, but I don't think that's the right definition of sex-positive. I thought it was more like (from Wikipedia):

Sex-positive, a term that's coming into cultural awareness, isn't a dippy love-child celebration of orgone – it's a simple yet radical affirmation that we each grow our own passions on a different medium, that instead of having two or three or even half a dozen sexual orientations, we should be thinking in terms of millions. "Sex-positive" respects each of our unique sexual profiles, even as we acknowledge that some of us have been damaged by a culture that tries to eradicate sexual difference and possibility.

I do consider myself sex-positive, even though I'm somewhat repulsed by sex when it comes to sex that would be happening to me.

So, if "sex-positive" isn't the right word, what is? Seriously. Is there a better term than "sex-positive" for an asexual who is willing to have sex or interested in it despite the lack of attraction?

Maybe for these purposes, "interested" would be the right term?

Or maybe "sexually responsive" if you're talking about people's personal attitudes towards themselves having sex rather than how they feel about others being involved in sexual activity or about sex as a biological/cultural etc phenomen? I come into this category either way.

I consider myself indifferent, with an ever so slight residual repulsion from my younger days. But I've evolved into indifferent for the most part.

• 5 weeks later...

If people aren't asexual I think they should be free to express their sexualities in whatever way they see fit. I think religions are a bit silly when they equate sex with sin. If it's between two consenting adults and they want to have sex and enjoy it there's no 'sin' involved. I think that if sexual people weren't made to feel so guilty about sex by the religions and moralists, they wouldn't feel so opressed, and as a consequence there wouldn't be so many sexual predators, rapists etc. stalking the world (and upsetting us aces when they hit on us)

In that respect I'm positive about sex. I'm positive about sex being good for people who want it.

I'm indifferent to the things that turn sexual people on, and I'd prefer not to have sex. I'm female and I don't like penetrative sex with bio men at all. -and I've only tried having sex that way once. -I've had other kinds of sex with queers and lesbians -but I was indifferent to it. I found it boring. I never craved it or thought about it or fantasised about it when left to my own devices.

-It's easier for me to be celibate when I don't have any sexual desire of my own.

So:

sex-positive with regard to other people ie sexual people having sex

indifferent about it in terms of not desiring it and having no fantasies about it

a bit repulsed by penetrative sex. I don't want any body parts stuck inside me!

Archived