What's your attitude toward sex?

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Poll: Repulsed, Indifferent, or Sex-Positive?  

1. 1. Select the option that best describes your attitude toward sex.

• Sex-positive
    • Indifferent
    • Repulsed
    • Don't know/never thought about it

This poll is closed to new votes

I was explaining asexuality to one of my professors today and I realized I don't know the proportions of how many asexuals are indifferent, or repulsed or sex-positive. So I thought I'd poll AVEN.

Sex-positive (AVENish definition): willing to have sex/interested in having sex despite the lack of attraction

Indifferent: not particularly interested in sex, but not disgusted

Repulsed: disgusted by the idea of sex in general or of engaging in sexual behavior

I'm repulsed. Very repulsed, actually, and should probably work on that.

According to Wikipedia, this is the definition of sex-positive: "Sex-positive, a term that's coming into cultural awareness, isn't a dippy love-child celebration of orgone – it's a simple yet radical affirmation that we each grow our own passions on a different medium, that instead of having two or three or even half a dozen sexual orientations, we should be thinking in terms of millions. 'Sex-positive' respects each of our unique sexual profiles, even as we acknowledge that some of us have been damaged by a culture that tries to eradicate sexual difference and possibility." But I didn't know what other word to use for the first option. Suggestions?

I'm oddly very interested in sex (and the sex lives of fictional characters XD), but have noooo desire or interest to actually have sex. So I guess I'm somewhere in between sex-positive and indifferent.

I hate to mince words, but I don't think that's the right definition of sex-positive. I thought it was more like (from Wikipedia):

Sex-positive, a term that's coming into cultural awareness, isn't a dippy love-child celebration of orgone – it's a simple yet radical affirmation that we each grow our own passions on a different medium, that instead of having two or three or even half a dozen sexual orientations, we should be thinking in terms of millions. "Sex-positive" respects each of our unique sexual profiles, even as we acknowledge that some of us have been damaged by a culture that tries to eradicate sexual difference and possibility.

I do consider myself sex-positive, even though I'm somewhat repulsed by sex when it comes to sex that would be happening to me.

heatdissipation
I do consider myself sex-positive, even though I'm somewhat repulsed by sex when it comes to sex that would be happening to me.

That's a good way to put it. I'm generally completely supportive of sex and its interesting variations, but can't see myself in that position. So. Supportive but personally repulsed?

I'm generally completely supportive of sex and its interesting variations, but can't see myself in that position.

This is true for me too.

Sex in general: Indifferent

Anything that might involve me: Repulsed

martianJusticiar

Sort of in that nebulous region between "indifferent" and "repulsed." Much, much, MUCH less repulsed than I used to be, but still leaning towards that direction in many ways. I'm fine with the idea other people having it, so long as they do so responsibly especially in regards to how it affects other people, but I'm uninterested and would really prefer to not hear about, read about or see their sex lives.

Whereas I no longer villainize or talk badly about sex and sexuals in general, some people have still described me as "Victorian" or "Puritanical" for my views on sex. I'd correct them and say I really don't approve of some ways that people go about expressing sexuality, not sex in general. People using their sexuality in hurtful or negative ways REALLY bothers me. Even if the acts themselves don't bother me as much as they used to, I still think cheating, for instance, is unacceptable and unnecessary in any and all circumstances, and no matter how high or low I hold someone in my mind, they can always be brought lower in my mind by the fact that they didn't just break off a relationship honorably but had to give themselves over to their genitals and hurt someone in the process. Those types of people who flaunt themselves and take some sort of sadistic pleasure in rejecting, using or humiliating the people who are attracted to or even love them disgust me. Lastly, people who reduce EVERYTHING to looks, sex and reproduction in my eyes entirely cheapen the human experience and what people are capable of. I view people who obsess over sex and make everything about it in the same way that I'd view someone who did nothing but sit around and watch TV, or people whose only concern was how much money or fancy stuff they had. Is some good? Yeah. But there can be excesses. And this culture not only tolerates but encourages a lot of excess when it comes to sex.

Myself I could never realistically picture in a sexual situation or relationship. In that case, it's not even about the ideological reasons. It's the pure idea of having to give my body over to someone else to do what they like with it as feels good to them that bothers me. I'm very physically sensitive in some ways and areas, and also have extremely negative associations with invasive physical contact. I don't feel I could trust people not to hurt me, seeing as even people trained to help, heal and comfort human bodies couldn't manage that even in the most minimal, basic ways. To anyone who says I have trust, vulnerability and intimacy issues, I say, yeah, why the hell not, at least this way I'm not having anything painfully shoved into me that doesn't belong there.

May I ask what the professor had to say?

One Winged Angel

I voted indifferent.

I find it fine in a long term (very long term) relationship or marriage, but other than that I find it overrated, boring and, well....I'm "indifferent" to it.

Repulsed, but I don't care if people do it/talk about it if I don't participate in any action connected to it (including sexual activity, watching, talking etc.).

I went for indifferent, but I'm a little bit of everything really.

I'm sex-positive in that I think sex is a good thing, I'm interested in sex theories and studies, the social and personal connotations it has and all the varying opinions and veiws. I'm think sex is absoloutely fascinating and I'm more than happy to talk about it and for people to go on doing it *thumbs up*

I'm indifferent to it and have absoloutely no interest in doing it myself, but if I end up in certain sexual situations I will feel somewhat repulsed, but only really if I feel trapped.

I hate to mince words, but I don't think that's the right definition of sex-positive. I thought it was more like (from Wikipedia):

Sex-positive, a term that's coming into cultural awareness, isn't a dippy love-child celebration of orgone – it's a simple yet radical affirmation that we each grow our own passions on a different medium, that instead of having two or three or even half a dozen sexual orientations, we should be thinking in terms of millions. "Sex-positive" respects each of our unique sexual profiles, even as we acknowledge that some of us have been damaged by a culture that tries to eradicate sexual difference and possibility.

So, if "sex-positive" isn't the right word, what is? Seriously. Is there a better term than "sex-positive" for an asexual who is willing to have sex or interested in it despite the lack of attraction?

I'm mostly indifferent to it, but with all the sexually laden ads out there today, I'm starting to get more and more repulsed.

I'm oddly very interested in sex (and the sex lives of fictional characters XD), but have noooo desire or interest to actually have sex. So I guess I'm somewhere in between sex-positive and indifferent.
I'm generally completely supportive of sex and its interesting variations, but can't see myself in that position.

This is true for me too.

These describe me, as well. I personally am not interested in having sex, but it's something I like hearing and reading about because I find it so interesting.

That's a good way to put it. I'm generally completely supportive of sex and its interesting variations, but can't see myself in that position. So. Supportive but personally repulsed?

Yeah, me too. So I voted indifferent. :unsure:

For purposes of this poll that would be the best definition (and it's what I think when I see or use the term "sex positive") and I don't know of a better term for it.

Also, did you intend to make this a multiple response question (as in, people can select more than one answer)? The way you worded the question makes me think you didn't. If so I can change that.

carried in bags

indifferent. if i was in a relationship, id have sex if she wanted to...but im not so i dont have to worry

My attitude on sex is fluid. Somedays I can be indifferent, sex-positive, repulsed and so on

So, if "sex-positive" isn't the right word, what is? Seriously. Is there a better term than "sex-positive" for an asexual who is willing to have sex or interested in it despite the lack of attraction?

Thinking in terms of a straight person w.r.t. gay sex, I think that "curious" would be a fine word for the first option.

Since this is a poll I'm moving it to the Census Forum. There are also other polls of this nature there (though not with the same options) if you want to see how people have responded in the past.

If there was an attitude called "annoyed" I would have clicked it.

Pentachromacy

Indifferent, so long as others wants or needs don't try to compromise my asexuality. Which is really N/A, simply due to my lifestyle. So if it does happen in front of me I get repulsed and saddened at the same time thinking: "Is that really the epitome of entertainment for people these days?"

Most of the time however, I do get annoyed with displays of affection of any kind.

Archived