How many of you have had to be hospitalized for mental conditions and what are they?

AnthraxyWaxy

Have you been hospitalized for mental conditions?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Hospitalization

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What disorder do you have? [Regardless of hospitalization]

• Schizophrenia
    • Schizoaffective
    • Dissociative Identity Disorder
    • Severe Depression
    • Borderline Personality Disorder
    • Bipolar Type I
    • Bipolar Type II
    • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
    • Bulimia
    • Anorexia
    • Other (please explain, if you're willing)

This poll is closed to new votes

I should have been in a mental ward a while back but its thanks to God I'm not there.

SpirallingSnowy

Ive been hospitalised once, for a suicidal attempt, but probably should of been several times - all for suicidal ideation/attempts. Many many times i have wished i wasnt so afraid because if i acted things out that float around in my head, people would think i was nuts and leave and then i wouldnt have any support. Im also a cutter. and although i have not cut in a while, i have plenty of scars, and use other forms of self injury to cope that dont work as well because everyone gets mad at me when i cut. My thought patterns are generally scattered and i can go from being obsessed with someone to forgetting they exist in a matter of minutes, can go from ok, to losing it in seconds, and constantly have to remind myself what is expected of me. I worry constantly that i cant stay on top of things and that its all going to fall apart and i will have nothing and no one and i will continue to fuck everything up in my life.

Psychologist diagnosed me with chronic Generalised Anxiety Disorder, depression, panic disorder, ADHD, and borderline personality disorder traits, though for disabilty for uni its just the GAD and ADHD. Psychiatrist diagnosed me with ADHD combined type exacerbated by GAD and depression. Im supposed to be on 40 mg Prozac and 20mg Ritalin ( 2 doses of 2x5mg) but havent taken anything in about 10 months because the prozac numbs me and i cant cry. But everyone LOVES me on it......cos i behave for them.

Ive just started uni about 5 hours from home, so i need to setup some support networks and stuff...... And i need to accept that i cant do everything at the same rate or as well as other people and it doesnt make me stupid. It just is. This is my 3rd uni in 4 years, and i know it looks bad on my records that i have gaps in my employment and stuff. Dad has only just started to accept that his daughter has mental health issues. I still get accused of putting it on, hiding behind it, or pretending its worse so i can get of my responsibilites.

I've had trauma from childhood which I suspect may have really been the start of my eating disorder. Christian fundamentalism (all fundamentalism is pretty bad :/) and assault are great ways to lose any self-esteem you've ever had, and add that to the uneasiness of becoming "sexually mature." I was really hospitalized for a suicide attempt, but I was obviously physically ill from my own hands. I nearly got hospitalized for mild psychosis when everything was going horribly in school, but break eased that a bit.

My mother thinks I can just take my medicine and the feelings will all go away. I keep trying to tell her that the medicine really isn't going to "fix" my suicidal ideation. It's something chronic and I need therapy to get rid of it. I realize this now but it does hurt when she asks, "Do you want to feel depressed or something?"

I didn't choose this. I've had it since I was a child. Death was one of the things that I constantly felt would help since I was around 11 to now; it'll take a while for me to get rid of it.

Thank you for understanding and I hope that you feel better too.

it's the same for me. i am taking zoloft (sertraline hcl) for depression/ptsd. my parents are under the illusion that the pill will make it all go away. and sometimes they attribute it to my wanting to suffer as well which is not the case at all.

i have suicidal ideation too. my parents have told me to call them when i'm feeling suicidal but i know that would be about the worst idea because they would have no idea how to handle it and would probably end up saying things that would make me feel more suicidal.

i am sorry to hear your family is much like mine. i hope you find more supportive understanding people. aven is definitely a good start.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation too. Having suicidal ideation is one of the worst things to have.

I know how you feel about 'talking to them'. My family is that way: "If you feel like hurting yourself, talk to us, we're here to help." Bullcrap. I tell them how I feel and they get offended or don't understand.

And my family is supportive - to an extent. My mother is a wonderful person but she has many problems of her own so I feel as though I can't go to her for help.

Do you have other people to be supportive for you? I certainly hope so.

-hugs you- Sounded like you needed one. Hope that's not uncomfortable. :unsure:

My mother thinks I can just take my medicine and the feelings will all go away. I keep trying to tell her that the medicine really isn't going to "fix" my suicidal ideation. It's something chronic and I need therapy to get rid of it. I realize this now but it does hurt when she asks, "Do you want to feel depressed or something?"

I didn't choose this. I've had it since I was a child. Death was one of the things that I constantly felt would help since I was around 11 to now; it'll take a while for me to get rid of it.

it's the same for me. i am taking zoloft (sertraline hcl) for depression/ptsd. my parents are under the illusion that the pill will make it all go away. and sometimes they attribute it to my wanting to suffer as well which is not the case at all.

i have suicidal ideation too. my parents have told me to call them when i'm feeling suicidal but i know that would be about the worst idea because they would have no idea how to handle it and would probably end up saying things that would make me feel more suicidal.

i am sorry to hear your family is much like mine. i hope you find more supportive understanding people. aven is definitely a good start.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation too. Having suicidal ideation is one of the worst things to have.

I know how you feel about 'talking to them'. My family is that way: "If you feel like hurting yourself, talk to us, we're here to help." Bullcrap. I tell them how I feel and they get offended or don't understand.

And my family is supportive - to an extent. My mother is a wonderful person but she has many problems of her own so I feel as though I can't go to her for help.

I can totally relate to this! I've been diagnosed with major depression, among other things, but it's been tough. I'm constantly surrounded by people who send mixed signals -- they act like they're open and there to help, but never stick around and support me the way I need it, when I need it. That's happened so often that I'm in this place where it's difficult for me to trust people at all.

I also hate when people suggest that one wants to be depressed. No one wants to feel like that, no one wants to constant consider ending their own life!

However, at this point, I've more or less accepted that no one can truly know what it feels like to experience that level a depression unless they've gone through it themselves. It's a tough road. What do I choose to do? Depend on people burdened by their own demons, those who can never truly understand your pain and despair, or take on everything by yourself?

How do you guys cope?

I've been hospitalised twice, had countless suicide attempts and put some of those close to me through things they should not have had to deal with.

I was diagnosed with severe depression and a personality disorder. In my case when things get to tough I felt that the only way to stop it was to end it for two reasons. One to stop my pain and feel totally free as I knew no more pain would come and two those around me could say i know i will miss them but at least we don't have to wait for that phone call again to say I have been found.

My own downfall was violence towards me from a partner. It took me several years, shedloads of councelling and medication to get where I am today. No meds or stays in a unit or counselling now for 3 years. I still panic, I still ruin relationships before they ruin me and I still cannot see a stable and long term future but having had a friend hang himself I saw how it impacted on those around him first hand and have vowed to never do it to those I care for ever again.

Is it Asexualities fault? of course not. When I took tablets Asexuality was the last thing on my mind and no one made me do that only I did.

What I have noticed is that Asexuals tend to be passionate caring people in there personal life and some take advantage of that so when those we let into our inner circle let us down it hurts tenfold and causes major issues

Do I feel Asexuals are more likely to have mental health conditions? No, do I feel the softer nature we have gets taken advantage of..Yes

I have Obsessive Compulsive disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Avoidant Personality Disorder, which are pretty severe. I've also been diagnosed with Depression, but I don't think I'm depressed, I'm just facing the grim truth. Meds didn't help with anything at all and I've tried all the different brands, even homeopathic ones.

I self-injure sometimes. I have scars on my left arm, and the cuts on my face drew blood but didn't scar. Those were always spur of the moment and made with my nails. Mainly, when I get mad, I hit stuff, like busting through walls with my bare hands.

I've ODed on pills a couple of times, but I've never been hospialized.

I also suffer from horrible nightmares, pretty much every time I sleep, including naps, for as long as I can remember. After 27 years of having them used to them. I don't have any reaction at all when I wake up, no racing heart or anything. I don't even jerk awake when I 'die.' But I did I wake up yesterday with a headache today after several nightmares. I don't mind the nightmares anymore, but I just hate that I actually 'feel' when I'm being tortured in my dreams.

Jillianimal

I have some disorders but haven't been hospitalized for them. Didn't vote though. <_<

no but it just means I hate doctors and hospitals...not that I don't have something

Whatsername

I can totally relate to this! I've been diagnosed with major depression, among other things, but it's been tough. I'm constantly surrounded by people who send mixed signals -- they act like they're open and there to help, but never stick around and support me the way I need it, when I need it. That's happened so often that I'm in this place where it's difficult for me to trust people at all.

I also hate when people suggest that one wants to be depressed. No one wants to feel like that, no one wants to constant consider ending their own life!

However, at this point, I've more or less accepted that no one can truly know what it feels like to experience that level a depression unless they've gone through it themselves. It's a tough road. What do I choose to do? Depend on people burdened by their own demons, those who can never truly understand your pain and despair, or take on everything by yourself?

How do you guys cope?

Unfortunately there's no one that can help you other than you. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true. You have to save you, sadly, because no one can take the hell away for you.

How can you help yourself? I think making an effort to go out every day, even though you feel like there's no point and you don't want to, and maybe see a therapist. Having a support system with a degree often helps. =]

I cope in unhealthy ways, really. I've battled with self-injury since I was 11, and I would NOT suggest it for someone. It becomes addicting and is a horrible way of relieving stress. I only mention it because it is the way I cope with everything; bad feelings, nightmares, bad thoughts. :(

I hope you find someone to help you and get a support system. And you're always welcome on AVEN!

Guest member25959

Ive never been hospitalized, but a few months ago i had to have a blood test to find out why i was so thin and why i seemed to be ill alot.

• 1 month later...

I've never been hospitalized for a mental condition, but there have been times in the past when I could have easily been sectioned for clinical depression. For a while it was debilitating but I'm OK these days.

I still have anxiety attacks sometimes, and occasionally suffer from insomnia as a result -but at least these days I don't have to take antidepressants.

Recently I went through the DSM-IV to see if I had any major problems. No major psychoses.

The only cause for concern were that I fit most of the diagnostic criteria for somebody suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. Flashbacks and the like. But at least I'm not clinically depressed these days. I fit the criteria for that in the past...

Archived