Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

This happened to me last week. I went into Forever 21 just to see if they had any clothes I liked and nope. I saw this really short sweater, like it had the arms on but it was cut off to fit right underneath someone's chest. I blurted out, "What is the point of this? I will get cold... it's dead in the middle of winter!" Everyone side eye'd me, and my uncle says, "It's meant to show your stomach... to be attractive" I felt like a dunce in that moment 😅

• Like 8
36 minutes ago, Strifed said:

This happened to me last week. I went into Forever 21 just to see if they had any clothes I liked and nope. I saw this really short sweater, like it had the arms on but it was cut off to fit right underneath someone's chest. I blurted out, "What is the point of this? I will get cold... it's dead in the middle of winter!" Everyone side eye'd me, and my uncle says, "It's meant to show your stomach... to be attractive" I felt like a dunce in that moment 😅

Yes, because freezing to death is really, really attractive... *eyeroll*

• Like 8
21 hours ago, Laplace said:

I was surprised how many people’s parents didn’t trust them to behave on their own as a teenager. My parents and most adults had nearly complete confidence in my character; I had my own comp, could go out on my own at reasonable times, and was allowed to play M rated games at 10 yrs old. I never understood why so many kids my age had problems with behaving themselves. I couldn’t act lewd or anything even if I tried, I’m too un-perverted.

See, my parents trusted me, i guess because they figured out early on I wasn’t going to get into any big trouble. My older sister on the other hand did get into stuff. Most of the time, you’d think the older kid doing something would make parents clamp down on the next kid. Not so for me. I had friends that were boys and I’m pretty sure I was in the house of the one who lived in my neighborhood without an adult there, and the parents knew it. Probably around age 12 or so. I’m definitely sure I was allowed in his room with the door shut, and in high school i was at party with a bunch of boys unsupervised, and everyone was cool with this. I guess this means parents trusted me. I was allowed to play violent stuff when I was able to save up the money to buy it myself, so some time in like 3rd or 4th grade i think i saved the money to get a game system and bought myself mortal kombat. I was also in hindsight rather strangely, allowed to play mortal kombat at school during recess with some of the boys i was left alone with. Complete with actual hitting each other and throws. 

18 hours ago, AcePrincess666 said:

My most recent one is from the movie Rent. I was watching it with my dad and stepmom, and I've been watching that movie since I was 7 years old.... Anyways there was mention of being paid extra for "trimming her trees" which I didn't get and my dad couldn't explain it because he was too busy laughing at my ignorance so I just gave up because it didn't really interest me I was just curious. My whole life sexual jokes have been going over my head tbh.

Whoa... wait... I mean, I know what this innuendo means, but whoa. I did not get it was being used that way in the movie. In the context it made perfectly fine sense to me that it could mean exactly what it does literally. 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Strifed said:

it really does. I remember when I used to post stories online, no one wanted to read the "cute, fluffy, bff" ones. Everyone wanted smut, and as dirty as it could get ☠️. I feel like other media can sometimes be that way too, and not so much sex but also just shoehorning in random romance. I remember I was really enjoying one book, and this random makeout scene came out of nowhere, and it was so weird since the guy had been so mean and borderline abusive to the girl, so I was like "wtf?" I'd love to see, read, or play more games/movies/books where two people of the opposite sex are just close friends.

This is why I consider Tales of Vesperia one the best JRPGs; unlike the vast majority of Tales games (and most JRPGs honestly), the focus is not on romance and more on how the ragtag party members become friends. The game starts with the MC and a princess, but they connect more about the wonder of traveling the world rather than on a romantic level. There’s some flirty dialogue, but it’s nothing explicit and it’s more like friendly banter. There’s no official couples among the party members despite having 4 guys and 4 girls in the cast, it’s all up to interpretation so you can either think of them as a great group of friends or put on your shipping goggles if you’re into that. It just has one of the most solid, connected cast of characters without really relying on any established romantic relationships. And they also have the most badass dog ever who is also a playable character 😄.

And again on clothes, functionality > “sexiness.” If you wear a sweater that exposes your midriff or something fine, it just doesn’t make sense if you actually wear it in bone-chilling weather. Like, it’s REALLY cold where I live atm relative to the norm (like 45ish degrees F sometimes) and I still see some women wearing like next to nothing. Aren’t you COLD?! Are you insane? Are you trying to force your body to burn fat? DO. YOU. HAVE. INVISIBLE. FUR?!? HOW DO YOU SURVIVE?! 🧐🤔🧐🤔

• Like 4
AcePrincess666
20 minutes ago, griffinej5 said:

Whoa... wait... I mean, I know what this innuendo means, but whoa. I did not get it was being used that way in the movie. In the context it made perfectly fine sense to me that it could mean exactly what it does literally. 

I didn't even know it was an innuendo and I've been watching the movie for 10 years

• Like 2
Littlemermaid223
On 2/2/2019 at 3:03 PM, CustardCream said:

When another Ace points out that Harry Potter is full of sexual innuendo about wands, and you realise you totally failed to pick up on it 🤔 11 inches and reasonably pliant...

WHAT?!?! NOOOOOOOO HOWWWWWW WHYYYYYYYYY. I’m dead. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, StomachGod said:

Yes, because freezing to death is really, really attractive... *eyeroll*

I'll never forget when I saw a girl in college years ago wearing booty shorts in 10 degree weather. I remember I told my classmate (guy) and he was appalled and called her some choice words 💀 We at least all agreed that that was stupid lol

1 hour ago, Laplace said:

This is why I consider Tales of Vesperia one the best JRPGs; unlike the vast majority of Tales games (and most JRPGs honestly), the focus is not on romance and more on how the ragtag party members become friends. The game starts with the MC and a princess, but they connect more about the wonder of traveling the world rather than on a romantic level. There’s some flirty dialogue, but it’s nothing explicit and it’s more like friendly banter. There’s no official couples among the party members despite having 4 guys and 4 girls in the cast, it’s all up to interpretation so you can either think of them as a great group of friends or put on your shopping goggles if you’re into that. It just has one of the most solid, connected cast of characters without really relying on any established romantic relationships. And they also have the most badass dog ever who is also a playable character 😄.

And again on clothes, functionality > “sexiness.” If you wear a sweater that exposes your midriff or something fine, it just doesn’t make sense if you actually wear it in bone-chilling weather. Like, it’s REALLY cold where I live atm relative to the norm (like 45ish degrees F sometimes) and I still see some women wearing like next to nothing. Aren’t you COLD?! Are you insane? Are you trying to force your body to burn fat? DO. YOU. HAVE. INVISIBLE. FUR?!? HOW DO YOU SURVIVE?! 🧐🤔🧐🤔

Ooh I'll have to try that game out! the playabl dog also sold it for me lol. There needs to be more animal playable characters in games!

IKR!?!?!?!?! And I never really understood high heels either, like those super high ones. I can only imagine how uncomfortable they are, and all to look cute for some dude/chick... and I do suppose some people do it because it makes them feel good about themselves too but yeesh. Not for me! 

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, Strifed said:

I'll never forget when I saw a girl in college years ago wearing booty shorts in 10 degree weather. I remember I told my classmate (guy) and he was appalled and called her some choice words 💀 We at least all agreed that that was stupid lol

Ooh I'll have to try that game out! the playabl dog also sold it for me lol. There needs to be more animal playable characters in games!

IKR!?!?!?!?! And I never really understood high heels either, like those super high ones. I can only imagine how uncomfortable they are, and all to look cute for some dude/chick... and I do suppose some people do it because it makes them feel good about themselves too but yeesh. Not for me! 

Repede the dog is sick lol. He also has a smaller hitbox so some enemies completely whiff when trying to hit him 😂. It’s kinda funny too cause he appears in a lot of party chat scenes so it almost seems like he has a lot of dialogue and characterization even though he can only bark. The new Definitive Edition is the way to go btw, and use a guide cause there’s a ton of missables (one of the few big negatives).

My family has massive genetic problems with bunions. My mother, Popo (aka Grandma), and many other direct relatives have really crooked toes. I can’t imagine high heels or other arguably impractical women’s shoes are good for people with this condition 😬. Not-mashed-up toes >>> “sexy?” 🤔 shoes.

• Like 3
Forest Spirit
13 hours ago, Strifed said:

I'd love to see, read, or play more games/movies/books where two people of the opposite sex are just close friends.

^^ I think we'd all need that. Showing how wonderful and meaningful a close friendship can be, one that is not overshadowed in any way by romance or sex, would really help in erasing these stereotypes/thoughts of 'they can't just be friends', insecurities about it (in my case right now) and stuff like that...

Does anyone have other book/film/series/game recommendations?

• Like 3

One of my work colleagues commented on the aesthetic appeal of one our customer's bum (when packaged in jeans) 

My reply "I haven't even thought of looking" 😋 

• Like 9

I had mentioned I didnt't rememeber any 'sex talk' during my teen years. Last night I recalled that I heard a couple of references to 'sixty-nine'. While everyone was laughing, I joined in hesitantly not wanting to look like an idiot.

I have no idea how I found out (in my 20s) what the others were talking about.

• Like 2
On 2/2/2019 at 6:03 PM, CustardCream said:

When another Ace points out that Harry Potter is full of sexual innuendo about wands, and you realise you totally failed to pick up on it 🤔 11 inches and reasonably pliant...

Okay, explained i understand the joke, sort of. But not really. Wait, are they lying about how big the wand is? Gah!

I just googled Harry Potter sexual innuendos. Wow. It’s not that i didn’t get them when i saw it because i was too young. I was late to the party on Harry Potter. I didn’t see any of it till i was in my 20s. I understand most of these when they’re pointed out, but damn.  People really can’t go that long without thinking about sex?

Edited by griffinej5
  • Like 5
Custard Cream
6 minutes ago, griffinej5 said:

Okay, explained i understand the joke, sort of. But not really. Wait, are they lying about how big the wand is? Gah!

Ah, you totally get it!

• Like 1
nerdperson777
On 2/10/2019 at 9:35 PM, Laplace said:

I was surprised how many people’s parents didn’t trust them to behave on their own as a teenager. My parents and most adults had nearly complete confidence in my character; I had my own comp, could go out on my own at reasonable times, and was allowed to play M rated games at 10 yrs old. I never understood why so many kids my age had problems with behaving themselves. I couldn’t act lewd or anything even if I tried, I’m too un-perverted.

I got the worst of both worlds.  My parents had absolute no confidence in me.  I wasn't allowed my own laptop until senior year of high school.  Even then, the laptop was really cheap and they said I couldn't play games on it.  For a really cheap laptop, I should be satisfied that it had any graphics at all.  I was able to at least play Minecraft on it.  I was only allowed to stay home after we had a dog, just because dad said that I was safe with him around.  No one would want to mess with a big (mostly) black dog.

I played T games when I was 9 and M games when I was 13.

• Like 5
brAceyourself
13 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

Radio Silence by Alice Oseman features one of the most wonderful friendships I've ever read about :)

• Like 2

So re the Harry Potter thing.   I mentioned it to my sisters last night who are just as much into Harry Potter as I am neither of them picked up on pretty much anything themselves, so it’s not just the ace community 

• Like 3
nerdperson777

My co-worker said that she lost her bra and found it at one of the many gyms she visits.  The only reason I could think of that is if she showered at the gym and put on another one.  I started thinking that if I said, "I'm experienced with bras", it would get me some weird looks since I'm male-presenting.  I know the last time I tried a bra, I could still do and undo the hooks without looking so I wouldn't be stuck in an awkward position if someone randomly put a bra on me.

• Like 6
Nine of Spades

A couple years ago, I was really bored and wanted to just mess around on Omegle for some reason. 

I don't recommend doing that if you're ace, by the way. You'll find out why in a moment. (Keep in mind that I didn't know I was ace back then.)

After coming across a few...interesting characters (read: mostly bots), I've been connected to this one person who was, uh, "presenting herself" in this part of the website where sexual stuff is a no-no. But instead of immediately clicking away, I just stared with a *very* confused look and didn't really know what the f*ck I was looking at. Am I supposed to be turned on by this? I kinda wanted to just troll her because she was breaking the rules, but at the same time I had no idea what I even got myself into. Total, awkward silence from both sides for a full minute. She then reached down to her keyboard and typed "You like?" I'm pretty sure I flipped the bird or something and that was enough to get her to disconnect. Worth it!

Weird how I never really thought about how that experience was a giant red flag meaning I could be ace until not too long ago, but hey! At least I got that lovely image forever burned in my memory.

• Like 5

When my friend was telling me how she needed to really work on just talking to her bf and not make out so they could work through some issues. I her why and she responded that it was hard when they were sitting next to each other and they hadn't seen each other in a while. My response: "but don't you get bored?"

• Like 12
21 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

^^ I think we'd all need that. Showing how wonderful and meaningful a close friendship can be, one that is not overshadowed in any way by romance or sex, would really help in erasing these stereotypes/thoughts of 'they can't just be friends', insecurities about it (in my case right now) and stuff like that...

I’m mostly a gamer so my recommendations are gonna be mostly games but I liked the following:

(Spoilers to reduce crowding the page)

1. As previously mentioned, Tales of Vesperia has by far the best male-female friend dynamics in any game I’ve played. If you want to ship characters, you can (funny enough the fandom overwhelmingly prefers two same-sex pairings), but no party members have a definitive paired ending with each other and they all have a massive amount of interactions due to the optional party “skits” that show up. The banter is natural, hilarious, and heartwarming honestly. Even Raven who’s kinda a sleazebag has his moments. I wish more games did the party chat segments. Plus, as a bonus, cake is one of the MC’s favorite foods 😂.

2. Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology has a good friendship between Stocke, the MC, and Eruca, arguably the deuterogonist, which is explicitly not romantic despite seeming oddly close. There’s a good reason for it being that way though. There’s romance and some official pairings, but Stocke and Eruca subvert romantic expectations despite their immediate connection. It’s one of the best time-traveling games I’ve played too.

3. I remember liking the show Gundam 00, and I know the MC, Setsuna, was really close with a women named Marina but their relationship was strictly platonic. Their conversations were really important to their characters; they were emotionally close but neither developed romantic feelings for the other.

4. Many Fire Emblem games have the option to either get supports at certain levels to prevent escalation of a relationship or have non-romantic supports. The newer ones typically have bonds that lean a bit more romantic whereas characters from the older games could only romance certain characters making any other opposite-sex pairings platonic. Regardless, there’s some gems in this series.

Honestly, it’s really sad that it’s so hard to find works where there’s enough of an emotional bond between two differently gendered people to be significant without it being romantic in nature. I guess it is hard to write without being tempted to convert it into a romance, esp. in games cause a lot of times players want the option to romance pretty much anyone.

• Like 5

*watching a show with ace bf*

*characters start making out/doing sexual thing*

Bf: NO. THEY ARE MISSING STEPS.

Me: But they really want the sex. Look at those cute little allo people go!

Bf: NO. THEY. ARE. MISSING. STEPS. You can't just jump into it like that! There are steps you have to take before getting to the sex part!

Me: but-

Bf: NO. THEY. ARE. MISSING. STEPS.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Sean-Kat said:

*watching a show with ace bf*

*characters start making out/doing sexual thing*

Bf: NO. THEY ARE MISSING STEPS.

Me: But they really want the sex. Look at those cute little allo people go!

Bf: NO. THEY. ARE. MISSING. STEPS. You can't just jump into it like that! There are steps you have to take before getting to the sex part!

Me: but-

Bf: NO. THEY. ARE. MISSING. STEPS.

There are steps in sex?

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Feys&Florets said:

There are steps in sex?

i think they meant steps before sex... but how would i know 

• Like 7
18 minutes ago, asexual bean said:

i think they meant steps before sex... but how would i know 

So that's why I've never had sex. I didnt realize that there were steps to follow...

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Feys&Florets said:

There are steps in sex?

According to him, the steps involve incredible awkwardness and attempted flirting. He doesn't get very specific, except for stating that there are rules you're supposed to follow when attempting the sex with another human, and writers for TV shows are either unaware of these rules or ignore them. Apparently most hook up scenes in shows are missing these vital rules/steps.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Step 1 : RUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I didnt run. It was more like, "NO!"

• Like 5

For me it’s...

Step 1: Do not even notice any signals or understand any flirtation in the first place, thereby eliminating any further steps.

Or just...

Step 0: Have zero friends/acquaintances that could potentially be attracted to me. I don’t know anyone who interacts with me enough to be interested in me.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Laplace said:

Step 1: Do not even notice any signals or understand any flirtation in the first place, thereby eliminating any further steps.

What a mood

• Like 6
Custard Cream

Damn, I need to know the steps. I've been married for 20 years and didn't realise they existed.

• Like 6