Is asexuality hereditary?

Hot_Air_Balloons

I wouldn't doubt that it could be partially genetic. I am asexual and have a cousin on my mother's side who also seems to be. It is also seems very likely that it runs in my father side (based on a variety of reasons) so maybe it does!

This post got me thinking. My moms line has all but died out now. None of the men born in her generation had kids nor did they marry. I asked Dad why. He said that two of them at least were crazy from being orphans/institutionalized as kids when their parents died. My mom's side dies young. That still does not account for the other two unmarried/childless cousins. True I know nothing of their sex lives in reality. I was too little when I was around some of them to know about sex. I do believe that the cousin my mom was closest too was most likely asexual. weather it was environmental more than genetic I dunno. It is interesting. I do not want science studying us like we are something to experiment on. I have had enough of that in my life.

We talk about this is phyic class and it is. Someone breed gay animal so gay is a gene trait. We are born with our sexuality, apparently it from out mother gene though.

Remember this is science not me. I am not this smart XD

Sleeping Beauty

There are so many presumably asexual people in my family that if I had the competences to study this I would for sure pursue the point with my researches.

I see it's not only me in this situation.

A genetic link the asexuality? That would explain a lot of my immediate family members. I suspect both of my parents of being at least grey-a if not completely asexual, same with one of my sisters and even more so with my brother. I have a feeling environment is just as important though, because the rest of my family was not raised with the same religious background as my sibs, and as far as I can tell at least 6 of my mother's 7 other siblings are sexual people, and same with their children.

Asexuality correlates fairly well with mild Aspie tendencies in many cases (though not all), and Asperger syndrome have been shown to be hereditary.

I do know that my brother has been "diagnosed" (I have my own doubts, but it's based on some complicated family politics I won't go into here) with Aspergers, but neither myself or my sister have. Has there ever been an official study on Aspie-asexuality links? Or is that based on the AVEN members?

I think asexuality could be hereditary. I´m not sure about my own, but probably I might be grey-A rather than absolute asexual. I have suspection my mother is: 1) asexual, but that type who is indifferent about sex. 2) Demisexual

My father is surely sexual. Very sexual, I think. He had a lover (maybe more than one) when he was married to my mother. They divorced when I was little child. I think that main reason for my parents divorce was their different interest in sex. My father got married his young lover, but they divorced later and now he lives with his girlfriend. My mother has never tried to find a new partner. She is quite disgusted by sex in movies, jokes about sex etc (I mostly don´t mind it). And I think she doesn´t masturbate (I do it all the time + I have sexual fantasies). She seems to me more asexual than I am, what is strange for me, when I know she had sex many times in her life, but I´ve never had sex.

Hmm. Could it be one of those "nature vs nurture" things? They both play a role? Wouldn't surprise me. I can't see it being genetic in any way, but I could be wrong to.

I know my mom is sort of aromantic, but she's not asexual. She's just not big into some of the gushy romance shit, which my dad surprisingly likes :P They compliment each other.

My brother seems to show little interest in women to, so maybe aromance runs in our family from our mom's side.

I really don't know to be honest :3

..I am 99% percent sure my parents are asexual..

as long as you are not confusing a really long relationship where the sex fizzles out and they just then become good friends..which is pretty normal for extra long relationships..the sex fizzling out part

Guest member25959

May I just point out that the OP posted this topic in November 2008 and last visited AVEN in February 2010. 12793513.gif

But on the topic. Like others have said, it may be in part hereditary, and part influenced by nurture. But its different for everyone. I mean, in my Family, I can't think of anyone who is Asexual, except maybe my Uncle.

I was going to lock it but there seemed to be a lot of interest again so I figured it saved us from beginning a new topic on the same subject and getting repetitive X3

My two cents: genes are bollocks.

Gho St Ory Qwan

No. But it could be argued that traits associated with your asexuality that may make you more inclined to be that way could be that sexuality. Such as if you're not particularly sociable, or easily aroused (both sexually and none) or something.

Sexuality it self I very highly doubt is hereditary.

..I am 99% percent sure my parents are asexual..

as long as you are not confusing a really long relationship where the sex fizzles out and they just then become good friends..which is pretty normal for extra long relationships..the sex fizzling out part

* No, it's not just them, including my extended family, they all display somewhat asexual/grey-a/demisexual traits.

Plus, *** is like a huge white spot everyone (pretends) not to notice.

curiously alive

I don't believe that asexuality is just because of your DNA. I believe it is more related to your family's involvement in your life. My parents and three brothers raised me with love and kindness, so I grew up believing that all I need is the love of my family (or something like that). I doesn't have to be connected with genes. Asexuality could center around how your family's morals or something.

Gah, I dunno!:) or did I just describe the "environmental" factor?

I belive that there are some genetic factors, but not in every case, but heredity is certainly something to consider.

For me I never thought about it until I came out to my family. I was expecting the "whats wrong with you" or another excuse. But only my mum gave that excuse because she is very sexual. Then my family seemed indifferent about it and they would talk about how my Uncle (who I have only seen once or twice) is an asexual and also my great uncle who never married and never had interest in women. We have a lot of things in common. He lives in another state and I don't talk to him, but I hear about his stories.

Also on the forum I heard that Aspies are commonly asexuals (or asexuals are commonly aspies) My brother is an aspie, and even though I'm not aspie we share very similar traits (grown up together) I don't know what sexuality my brother is. But when I would talk about LGBT community ect. He knew a lot more then I do about all the terms and types of sexuality. But that doesn't confirm anything really. Just me being suspicious.

As far as I know, neither of my parents have had sex since I am able to remember. I remember being really confused in middle school when the other kids would start talking about seeing their parents together, and then asking me if I had ever seen my parents together like that and I would just be thinking "Uh, no. Should I have?" I've also always had free access to all parts of the house since I was little, including my parents bedroom/bathroom(there was never any "off-limits room") and I've never found any sex-suggesting items that I remember friends talking about finding when they snuck into their parents bedroom. My parents don't talk about sex much at all, never have, and I never had "THE TALK" with them, because it was like they assumed I wasn't interested(which I wasn't), so I don't really know any details about why they aren't active or anything.

Same thing here. My parents seem the same way but I am definitely not going to ask about this, I don't want to know these kinds of things about them. I strongly suspect that my dad is asexual or at least demisexual. I recently accidentally "came out" to him and he said he found it hard to believe that other people were physically attracted to one another on first sight. So I'm guessing either he doesn't experience this at all (ace) or only with an emotional connection (so not on first sight, possibly demisexual then). My mom isn't ace though. She makes..."suggestive" comments about various celebrities.

Maybe lack of sex drive is hereditary... it would explain that "neither of my parents have had sex since I am able to remember", plus the fact that I am also non-libidinous.

My brother has a girlfriend now (who was his friend first) and I am not going to ask him if he is sexually attracted to her. I want to know for the sake of this pattern but on the other hand, I REALLY don't want to know.

scaylen, that last part sounds exactly like my life. two unmarried uncles who probably never will marry, a sister who shows less interest than me and parents who don't talk about sex. Well my mom does sometimes. I've never had the talk either.

• 2 weeks later...
Asexy Librarian

Was about to post this topic, glad I found this has been covered already.

I do believe it can be hereditary. I have often wondered how my mom ever managed to have me, considering she has never dated anyone or shown any interest in my whole life. And someone mentioned it could be inherited from the mother's side, this makes even more sense.

Beyourownspotlight

I think it's more environmental than genetic. My family are all very sexual, I have the majority of my family being hetrosexual, I have a very strong feeling that one of my cousins is bisexual and I know for a fact (she's been out since before I was born) that one cousin is gay.

Then there's me, ace.

• 1 year later...

Hmm. I think it's a little of both. I really think there is a genetic predisposition to asexuality, or sexuality of any type, but I also think how you're raise has a lot of influence on it as well. But they you get into the whole argument of is a sexuality that you conform to because of how you were raised (and therefore most likely family expectations or pressures or assumption) really the real sexuality, or is the real sexuality so hidden by literally a lifetime of unknown denial that the false sexuality is now considered the real one. In otherwords, being "trained" by the family because of environmental circumstances to the point that it's not even questioned. THis can go for being "trained" to be a minority sexuality as well if that minority is depicted as being more acceptable than a less know minority.

Sorry if this all sound confusing. I say this from my own experience. Until about 5 months ago, I never really though twice about the fact that I was straight and sexual.Then I stumbled upon AVEN and my world got turned upside down.

Now, I am definitively asexual(though possibly demisexual). I suspect my family are as well, though it's not really my place to being saying if they are or aren't. As far as I know, neither of my parents have had sex since I am able to remember. I remember being really confused in middle school when the other kids would start talking about seeing their parents together, and then asking me if I had ever seen my parents together like that and I would just be thinking "Uh, no. Should I have?" I've also always had free access to all parts of the house since I was little, including my parents bedroom/bathroom(there was never any "off-limits room") and I've never found any sex-suggesting items that I remember friends talking about finding when they snuck into their parents bedroom. My parents don't talk about sex much at all, never have, and I never had "THE TALK" with them, because it was like they assumed I wasn't interested(which I wasn't), so I don't really know any details about why they aren't active or anything. And my sister shows even less interest in sex than I do. I'm curious about it because I'm unable to fully understand it, my sister simply wants nothing to do with it at all, even talking or reading about it. I also have two uncles who have never married, and likely never will. But the reason why is unknown to me.

So I really do think there's a strong possibility that sexuality is inheritable, and that it is also strong affected by the family environment.

Both my parents have a sex drive but my dad indirectly hinted to me he doesn't want to have intercourse with my mum. I guess it's because she's old but I suspect my dad has a low sex drive. He doesn't bring up sex so often with his pals and seems to be uninterested when some women randomly tried to get his attention. But that could be due to his hypertension - apparently the medication decreases sex drive.

Ironically my mum is scared I'll be seduced, although I have never wanted to have sex with anyone. I tried hinting to her I'm ace, and I told my dad I'm ace but they are still worried I might get seduced (out of loneliness and desperation maybe). My dad in fact told me "don't worry you will find the right man some day" but the point is whether I love the right person or not I should be sexually attracted to them if I weren't asexual. And I've never been physically attracted to the people I have been in love with.

Funny though, my grandfather and great-grandfather were womanisers. I have no idea where I got the asexual gene from.

There's no research yet to determine what causes asexuality (or any other orientation, really). Genetics could be involved.

There are many, many threads on AVEN that discuss this, with some of them having comments by people who understand a lot about genetics.

I have a cousin who is likely somewhere on the ace spectrum, but if she is, she is not out, so no real confirmation one way or another.

the-letter-a

I don't think there's a gene for asexuality but I think particular traits can be passed on which may link to being asexual. For example, my dad has never been a particularly lovey-dovey person and I think I've inherited that trait which lead me to be an aromantic.

Please do not revise threads that have been inactive for more than 6 months. If you want to continue to discuss this topic, please do so in this thread.

Asexual Q&A Moderator

Vampyremage