The "Cat" Thing

unembellished

unembellished

I find it incredibly interesting that so many asexuals own or love cats. A theory I have on people's pet choice is that it reflects their own personalities/desires: ie a high percentage of lesbians have dogs. My belief this occurs because dogs are high maintenance (well comparatively to cats), they NEED love, attention and support, almost like a small child. As lesbians traditionally do not tend to have children - a dog is a wonderful alternative. It can also be shared and adored in a relationship.

Another theory I have (that spans across society), is that cat owners are relatively independent, low maintenance people. It is important to note that this is merely an observation I have made over my life. Could this be why asexuals turn to cats as their pet of choice? The correlation being asexuals probably sit more to the independent side of the scale of personality types, and are self sufficient, much like a cat.

I put it to the group. What say you...

Well, I am asexual and I prefer neither cats nor dogs. I would rather have a dog over a cat though, but that's mainly due to me being highly allergic to cats. If I wasn't allergic to cats, I would still probably opt to not have pets, at least not a cat or dog...perhaps a chinchilla or ferret. I like exotic pets.

well I really like cats and much prefer them to dogs..but I doubt that it has to do anything with being asexual. interesting observations though.

Interesting thought. I've definitely noticed some of the correlations there, but as always the association won't hold up for everyone. Still interesting!

*waits to see what others think*

i've noticed a lot of asexuals like cats but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it. In my belief I kinda think there's a connection but not sure of what it is. I like pets that are cute and don't make a lot of noise like ferrets and cats. Dogs are alright but I prefer cats or ferrets

I think another reason why so many people have cats is that they're fairly easy to take care of. A lot of us are single, so we don't have other people to, say, walk our dogs if we're not home.

I own two cats and I see them on the level of "friend". It's an odd bond I have. I look after them as if they were my mini furry friends. I love them very much and I feel it to be mutual. I look out for them as if they were a child-friend. I have a love for them that's like a very close friendship.

It's neat to hear your theory.

I find that most people do own animals which fit their personalities too. My mother says that both the cats (who have different personalities) have aspects of my personality in them. Though I do find I can be dependent but I try to get others I care about to be dependent on me too.

It could have roots in the "crazy cat lady" archetype. I for one am looking forward to my crazy cat lady future. Although I like dogs too, as long as they're well disciplined. Nothing more obnoxious than a poorly trained chihuahua, let me tell you. (is there such a thing as a well trained chihuahua? I don't think I've ever met one)

It could have roots in the "crazy cat lady" archetype. I for one am looking forward to my crazy cat lady future. Although I like dogs too, as long as they're well disciplined. Nothing more obnoxious than a poorly trained chihuahua, let me tell you. (is there such a thing as a well trained chihuahua? I don't think I've ever met one)

I can easily see myself becoming the "crazy cat lady" in the future. :P

It's nice to hear about someone else looking forward to it!

I think another reason why so many people have cats is that they're fairly easy to take care of. A lot of us are single, so we don't have other people to, say, walk our dogs if we're not home.

Definitely. I love dogs but they're too much like real children. You feel guilty leaving them and when you come home they're right there, wanting every ounce of your soul. Just too much. They've also possibly shredded your furniture. Cats just look at you like, "Hi. I love you, but I slept most of the day and it was just fine."

Yea, I've noticed the penchant for cats too, but I never really put much thought into it. Dogs are to co-dependant, and hairy, and slobbish, and whiny for my tastes. Ironically, those are some of the same reasons I rarely date men... :lol:

I love dogs, but quite honestly, I just don't have the time, nor the gumption to get up and walk the thing. I wouldn't have one if not for my roommate. <_< I love her, but she's a pest! And worse, I do 80% of the training, care, and feeding of the thing... and I didn't want her in the first place! Humph.

My cat, well, he takes care of himself 90% of the time and then seeks some attention and love. Easy.

My rats are lovely as well, they don't ask for much and are happy as clams if I slip them a little pasta from dinner.

I really find cats just have the right amount of independence/dependence for my liking.

I really want a pet rat, actually, although that seems to be a theme among webcomic artists- so maybe that's why.

I liked rats until I saw one eat another one. :( I also saw a mother rat eat it's baby rat. I know that's just how some animals are but I don't particularly like it. :P That's why I never wanted to own a rat.

I have had pet rats in the past. Those were my childhood favorite pets. I've never seen a rat eat another or eat it's babies, but I have seen hamsters eat its babies. I never really did like hamsters that much.

Another pet I think is really cute but a little bit on the annoying side are guinea pigs. They squeal way too much and way too loud. I have had so many pets growing up...cats, dogs, hamsters, rats, mice, rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, etc. It was like a zoo most of the time.

This is probably why I would prefer not to have any pets now. :lol:

I really, really, really HATE cats! Closely followed by the attitudes of most cat people...

I really, really, really HATE cats! Closely followed by the attitudes of most cat people...

Awww, you're special. In all seriousness, though, which attitude, exactly?

This one. It's not uncommon.

My belief this occurs because dogs are high maintenance (well comparatively to cats), they NEED love, attention and support, almost like a small child.

Another theory I have (that spans across society), is that cat owners are relatively independent, low maintenance people.

My belief this occurs because dogs are high maintenance (well comparatively to cats), they NEED love, attention and support, almost like a small child.

Another theory I have (that spans across society), is that cat owners are relatively independent, low maintenance people.

That's two attitudes... or theories, or something...

I've known some very "needy" cats and some very "low maintenence" dogs. But dogs have a "pack mentality" where cats have an "individual mentality".

So, er... forgive me, I'm dense tonight I've got a head cold, but you don't like independent, low maintenance people or that cat people are thought of as independent low maintenance people? The first I don't quite understand, but the second I could see. I know some high maintenance people who adore their kitties.

unembellished

Its merely an observation. Why do you 'hate' it?

so funny I noticed the same thing! :D

I love all animals! I am a big time animal person. I grew up with lots of cats and we always had a dog. we also had a parakeet and a parrot. right now I have 2 rats and 2 guinea pigs. I like the rats more. they are more social and more interesting. they like to be held and they like our attention. the guinea pigs are too scared of people. if I could I'd have a couple cats but my husband is severely allergic to pet dander and it triggers his asthma.

I don't think theres any special trend the sme thing could be said about asexuals and video games/computers/anime/ect.

If there is a trend for asexual people into video games/computers/anime then I fall into it and it would make me happy to know there are others. But maybe it's just luck too.

From your avatar I can assume you are into Code Geass? :)

From joining this site today I have noticed people have a fair bit in common with me which is usually very rare. Hmmm... Something to think about or it could be a coincidence!

I find it incredibly interesting that so many asexuals own or love cats. A theory I have on people's pet choice is that it reflects their own personalities/desires: ie a high percentage of lesbians have dogs. My belief this occurs because dogs are high maintenance (well comparatively to cats), they NEED love, attention and support, almost like a small child. As lesbians traditionally do not tend to have children - a dog is a wonderful alternative. It can also be shared and adored in a relationship.

Another theory I have (that spans across society), is that cat owners are relatively independent, low maintenance people. It is important to note that this is merely an observation I have made over my life. Could this be why asexuals turn to cats as their pet of choice? The correlation being asexuals probably sit more to the independent side of the scale of personality types, and are self sufficient, much like a cat.

The correlation between asexuals and cats is about as relevant as the one between fish and bicycles. Asexuals come in a great many models and makes. There are loners who are independant and low maintenance people who are sexual and ones who are asexual. Asexuals are not more prone to being one than the other.

oneofthesun, it's a rare occasion when a self-announced cat-hater crosses my path, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask you a few questions.

Is cat-hating in your family? Did you learn to hate cats because your parents hated them?

Has a cat ever caused you bodily harm, crapped on your bed, or frightened you?

Have you ever lived with cats?

Are you irrevocably hateful toward cats, or is this simply a high-drama tactic for declaring a preference for dogs?

What is your candid opinion of the people who act out their hatred of cats by, say, torturing them or using them as fighting-dog bait?

Have you ever harmed a cat? Have you ever wanted to?

Given your willingness to come forward so brazenly in a thread largely populated by cat owners, I consider these fair questions.

The correlation between asexuals and cats is about as relevant as the one between fish and bicycles. Asexuals come in a great many models and makes. There are loners who are independent and low maintenance people who are sexual and ones who are asexual. Asexuals are not more prone to being one than the other.

I beg to differ... it seems there are quite a few people here that are very into cats. I think it does have something to do with the nature of being asexual (on some level). Some asexuals here don't bother with personal relationships with people because of say their aromantism and lack of desire to form close physical relationships. I can see those people being more fond of cats than dogs, based on the idea that cats are much less needy and you can hug and cuddle them all you want and leave them be when you grow bored or tired of that. While this link certainly doesn't apply to the majority, there does seem to be a theme amongst a decent part of asexuals. I chalk it up to a personality trait that strikes a chord between those that don't long for constant close relationships but more for appreciation once in awhile. I could be wrong though, but still I believe it's a better correlation than say a fish and a bicycle.

unembellished

"I chalk it up to a personality trait that strikes a chord between those that don't long for constant close relationships but more for appreciation once in awhile. I could be wrong though, but still I believe it's a better correlation than say a fish and a bicycle."

Yes Zoidberger - thank you for applying thought to your response. I have been on here for a week and the one thing I REALLY noticed was the cat connection. Even in people's avatars there appears a cat theme in some. People talk about them more than any other animal, and there are multiple photo threads. I find it fascinating coming from a largely lesbian community, where an extremely common theme was dogs - in fact it is a bit of a joke amongst the lesbian community.

Archived