Whither sour citrus candies?

SorryNotSorry

SorryNotSorry

This is starting to piss me off... every time I've found some really sour citrus candies, I go back to find more only to learn they're no longer available. Country Time lemonade lollipops, then Zip Sours Ruby Red Grapefruit, then Altoids Citrus sours, have all gone the way of the dinosaur. It's enough to make me want to learn candy-making, so I can make a batch loaded with citric acid (available from a nearby Middle Eastern market).

Anyone know of some still-available sour hard candies which taste like any of the above? And if they make them in the UK, will they ship to the states? Put me down for a crate of them.

Candymaking is ridiculously simple for hard candies... it basically involves boiling sugar, corn syrup, and water (i think the proportions are 1/2c. 1/3c. and 1c, respectively, but I haven't done it for a while) until it gets foamy-looking in the hard-crack stage, then quickly mixing in your flavorings/colorings before pouring into a mold/onto a baking sheet to break into pieces. Takes about 30 minutes from putting to pot on to boil to eating candy. Totally worth it, too.

edit: actually, I think those proportions are wrong. It's easily googled, though, if you want.

SorryNotSorry

I'm buying this book called Candy Making for Dummies. If it's any help, I also have a food dehydrator... I may be able to put a thick syrup of homemade candy in that, and thus avoid burning the mix. If a food dehydrator works for making my Warm Glow burger sauce, candy should be a breeze.

well, if you do burn the mix, you're only out like... 30 cents in supplies. A candy thermometer helps, but after you've done it once or twice it's easy to see when it's ready to go off the burner... basically keep a cold glass of water at ready and when you drip a little of the heated mixture in the water, it'll immediately solidify and perhaps crack a bit (the candy, not the glass). It's easy to spot, because it usually happens when the mix starts to get foamy and goes into a rapid progression from "liquid" to "sticky"

Ahh, sour citrus candies. How I love thee. X3 Now I want to have a shot at candymaking too, even though I'm from the UK. (Speaking of which, I don't know about sour hard candies, but we have some excellent sour gummy candies. XD Haribo Tangfastic is excellent stuff when you're looking for a sour fix.)

SorryNotSorry
Ahh, sour citrus candies. How I love thee. X3 Now I want to have a shot at candymaking too, even though I'm from the UK. (Speaking of which, I don't know about sour hard candies, but we have some excellent sour gummy candies. XD Haribo Tangfastic is excellent stuff when you're looking for a sour fix.)

Ugh... no soft gels or chewing gum for me, thanks.

Re UK sites... there's one that sells English Allsorts, which looked like bits of foam-rubber zoris, and consisted of orange, lemon, cherry, or mint flavored taffy sandwiched between 2 layers of licorice. I remembered eating them from a candy store in Laguna Beach 30 years ago, and they were DELICIOUS!!! There were also candy rocks which tasted much better than the blotchy oversized jelly beans they sell now.

Ohhhh, Liquorice Allsorts? Apparently they're quite good, but I personally have never been able to like the stuff. Still, I do remember this stuff called Sherbet powder. It was bascially a tube of this sour citrus-y powder, with a stick of liquorice in the middle. You'd lick the tube then stick it in the powder, suck the powder off and repeat. Actually pretty good stuff. Anything with sherbet in it is good stuff in my eyes. Well, not -literally- in my eyes. That would sting like crazy. :3

I don't go for all that sour stuff, myself. But I could eat the hell out of some licorice!

Aww, all this candy talk makes me miss turkisk peppar. :(

Try finding that in the U.S.! :(

Liquorice Allsorts - yes!!! You cn kep your chocolate, toffees,anything and everything else....just give me Liquorice Allsorts!!! 1.gif

Liquorice Allsorts - yes!!! You cn kep your chocolate, toffees,anything and everything else....just give me Liquorice Allsorts!!! 1.gif

swap you liquorice allsorts for aniseed balls

SorryNotSorry

Speaking of licorice, the top of the line in that dept is yet another long-gone brand, Reed's. They were hard, black things, about the shape of Dots gumdrops but a little larger, and came in a small paper roll similar to Lifesavers. Man, Reed's was so strongly flavored, you'd not only taste the licorice, that stuff would numb out your mouth like a shot of Novocain by the time you got done sucking on one. Thoroughly satisfying!

But then along came Hintmints... if you think you can handle an intense mixture of licorice and mint, try the Hintmint Black Licorice. I think the reason they make them so intense is because they're formulated as a candy for pipe smokers. My late aunt, who had a 2-pack a day Salem addiction, loved Hintmints the first time I gave her one.

Archived