Watch It Here! Character comes out as asexual in New Zealand soap opera!

Sootmouth

I think my favorite part recently was when Hunter stomps away in a huff, going "She may realize she can live without sex!" +1 Gerald.

It has changed quite a bit.

They've gone from introducing the asexuality into the show and are now just having new plots that involve the asexual character.

And yes, everything is appearing quite normal for a soap opera.

Hunter's comment really says it all: the only reason that she's in that relationship is the sex. It's obvious--the soap opera wins no awards for subtlety--that they are very ill matched and that Morgan belongs with Gerald. It's also pretty clear that Morgan and Gerald will ultimately get back together--but I wouldn't be surprised a "cure" for Gerald's asexuality were the reason.

There has been nothing more about that group of asexuals. Did that possessive Fiona succeed in driving Gerald away?

I think that the writers don't feel like having any more of Jesse and co. They were just a plot point to show Gerald/viewers move about the asexual diverse community. Back to the ole triangle. But I think it's clear Hunter knows nothing about Morgan and will soon tire of her. Then Gergan will be back together...hopefully with less drama. I don't think Gerald will be "cured". Soaps aren't that incensitive.

Morgan will also tire of Hunter, a shallow person with nothing but sex on his mind. I'll bet that Morgan will be the one to break the relationship off.

At first I found Gerald immature and childlike, and I was a bit annoyed that the asexual character was being portrayed that way (we get enough of that stereotype as it is). But he's beginning to grow on me. He's more sensitive and adult than he seemed at first.

Yes, Gerald does seem to have matured a lot over the short time he's been out. We can blame it on the shock of such a huge revelation in his life. Now that he has had time to accept who he is he's more comfortable with himself and life in general.

Yeah, that works.

carried in bags

i only discovered this soap yday (some very kind ace in chat suggested it!) and im already on ep 20. im gonna try to slow the pace down a bit tho. i can totaly relate to gerald in some scenes which had me laughing out loud

I'm a bit behind with the show at the moment but it drove me crazy when Hunter got Morgan the spa treatment for her bday and she goes, "These products are animal tested! I can't use them!" A) You work in a hospital where prob most of the things you work with daily are animal-tested, and B) A few months ago you were eating sausage!!!! Arggg!!!! I love that Morgan has a persona now and that's she's a scifi fan and animal lover, but my god writers, could you at least ATTEMPT consistency??? Yeesh!

Apart from that, it's clear Hunter knows nothing about Morgan, she's getting bored with him, and she and Gerald will one day reunite...provided Gerald doesn't move on before then...

Some animal lovers do still eat meat. >_>

And yay for more exposure! I just discovered this thread and I'm 16 episodes in. I agree that Gerald is exceptionally prissy and annoying, but at least all the issues and challenges facing an asexual are explored, and I am relieved to hear his character improves with time. I despise soap operas, but I've made an exception for this one in the name of research. I am, after all, writing a book on the subject (asexuality that is, not soap operas!)

You know, I'm surprised (in a completely nonjudgemental way of course) that a couple of posters think that Gerald and Morgan will get back together. That possibility had never crossed my mind.

What I've been thinking over the last couple of weeks is what a good situation Morgan has set up for herself. Attentive, hunky boyfriend Hunter to take care of her sexual requirements and sensitive, soul mate Gerald to take care of her romantic / emotional needs. And both of them there helping her sort out her financial crisis.

If I was her, I wouldn't be changing anything!

Or is this me, aromantic to the core, being cynical about relationships?

I just like having an asexual character out there somewhere.

Here, here! I think it's great having Gerald around, even in storylines that don't explicitly involve his asexuality.

• 4 weeks later...

Before the asexuality storyline really took off Gerald tried to have a sexual relationship with an old schoolfriend of his. When I saw this story arc on TV I was amazed it was screened at 7.00pm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ_WLakor_c

Before the asexuality storyline really took off Gerald tried to have a sexual relationship with an old schoolfriend of his. When I saw this story arc on TV I was amazed it was screened at 7.00pm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ_WLakor_c

I'd heard about that part of the plot, but hadn't actually seen it before. The scene where he accidentally knees the other guy in the face is... awkward. :lol:

The entire THING is awkward! Oh god! Please, somebody get pamphlets out to New Zealand, stat! :P

that_american_kid

Wow, yeah, that definitely qualifies as the most awkward thing I've ever seen. I like Gerald much better in the asexuality storyline. What was he *thinking*??

"We had lunch, went to bed, and I kneed him in the nose and made him bleed." hahaha

"Yet more proof that I'm just a freak of nature." Or, perhaps, so far in the closet he doesn't realize there's a whole big, wild, asexy world outside it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just finished the last of the highlights up so far and I'm impressed. I thought it would be quite superficial and brief as I remember novel soap storylines being but the writers have clearly done their homework. I like that they refer to the online presence, even AVEN specifically, several times, and to romantic orientation.

I might check through the Welcome Lounge to see if anyone joined after watching, because I'd be quite surprised if no one did after this kind of exposure.

They seemed to address all the most common issues arising: people thinking you're traumatised, thinking you're ill, you thinking you're ill, you thinking you're gay, sexual-asexual romantic relationships, fear of being defective, trying to be cured... I wouldn't be surprised if they're reading this thread, because they seem to have spent at least some time here and I know I'd be curious about the reception.

Also glad that they introduced several very different asexual characters, which should help reduce the risk of stereotypical images developing in viewers' minds. Now we know Gerald is openly bi-romantic people might be less inclined to think he's just a homosexual in denial, too, especially as he's slightly camp.

• 1 month later...

Guess what? I've met Gerald in real life! (or at least the actor that plays Gerald). He's so much like his character. Tall, handsome, witty, friendly, approachable. It was great - I wish you ALL could have been there! I'd have to say I was pretty nervous about approaching him - he was in this Ocean Swim event at our local beach. But I had heard an interview with him on our national radio recently where he said that he was surprised that he hadn't heard from anyone in the asexual community - apparently one asexual has contacted the show but he never heard much more than that. So I just went up and said "Hi, I'm Susan and I'm asexual" and turned pink I imagine! He seemed genuinely pleased to meet a real asexual and thanked me for approaching him. He was really pleased to hear how thrilled our community is with this exposure and how impressed we are with the script-writing. He wanted to know if I thought it was realistic and if I had any pointers for his acting!!!! That put me on the spot - I just said that he was doing great. And good luck with the swim. He said that he hoped he made it or there wouldn't be an asexual on Shortland St any longer! (It was 2.8km and he did fine!). I was buzzing all day.

Well done amum! I also heard the radio prog and though it didn't discuss the asexual aspect of his character much, what it did say was positive. I was surprised he said he'd only heard from one asexual. I contacted the show but that was just via the general email address on their website so I don't know if he'd have got it or not. It's great he got to speak to you in person.

Echidna

Guess what? I've met Gerald in real life! (or at least the actor that plays Gerald). He's so much like his character. Tall, handsome, witty, friendly, approachable. It was great - I wish you ALL could have been there! I'd have to say I was pretty nervous about approaching him - he was in this Ocean Swim event at our local beach. But I had heard an interview with him on our national radio recently where he said that he was surprised that he hadn't heard from anyone in the asexual community - apparently one asexual has contacted the show but he never heard much more than that. So I just went up and said "Hi, I'm Susan and I'm asexual" and turned pink I imagine! He seemed genuinely pleased to meet a real asexual and thanked me for approaching him. He was really pleased to hear how thrilled our community is with this exposure and how impressed we are with the script-writing. He wanted to know if I thought it was realistic and if I had any pointers for his acting!!!! That put me on the spot - I just said that he was doing great. And good luck with the swim. He said that he hoped he made it or there wouldn't be an asexual on Shortland St any longer! (It was 2.8km and he did fine!). I was buzzing all day.

That's really great! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Gerald's asexuality seems to have ceased to be a theme in this programme.

That couple for whom Morgan is acting as surrogate parent have turned impossibly possessive, unappreciative, and dictatorial. It's absurd for them to expect her to hide her pregnancy from her friends; it's hardly the sort of thing that can be concealed. I bet they'll hit the ceiling when they find out that she is pregnant with triplets. They'll back out of it altogether, or they'll stick Morgan with one or two of the litter, or Morgan will wisely have an abortion and put an end to this dreadful situation.

In any event, the decision to have a child for them was a mistake; they're very selfish people who shouldn't have children at all. Besides, Morgan leaves herself and others with lots of explaining to do. If this pregnancy goes to term, Morgan will end up being fired, and Hunter will have to decide between dropping his career to support a family of five and dumping Morgan. She would be better off with Gerald anyway.

I do wish that more were said about Gerald's asexuality. He seems to have been relegated to the position of Morgan's factotum.

Gerald's asexuality seems to have ceased to be a theme in this programme.

I wouldn't go as far as that but it has been a long time since the 'A' word has been mentioned. I find this surprising since I'd have thought it was an essential piece of information for viewers to have in order to understand the behaviour of the characters.

Although it's not great for visibility I do think the way that Gerald avoids using the 'A' word when in the presence of strangers (e.g. Trent and Cindy, the Ultrasound Technician) is typical of many people's experience. You may not mind your family or friends knowing you're 'A', but it's a different story when it comes to people you've just met. Any other explanation will do, even if it means they think you're a little odd as a result.

Yes, a person coming into this series in the middle might be unaware of Gerald's asexuality.

I don't see any need for Gerald to go around saying to everyone "Hi, my name is Gerald, and I'm asexual". All that Trent and Cindy needed to know is that he is one of Morgan's friends. I certainly don't discuss such personal matters with the general public, or even with some people who know me well (my relatives, for example, or people I know only on a professional basis).

I wouldn't go as far as that but it has been a long time since the 'A' word has been mentioned.

Wow, someone must have heard me -- the 'A' word is mentioned a couple of times in the latest installment.

• 1 month later...

This needs a well deserved bump!

Gerald having a family? Awww yay!

Yeah it's got really good! :) I really want to know what happens now, not just how they're handling asexuality as a subject.

• 2 weeks later...
SpirallingSnowy

Just watched the last 3 eps.... just.... wow... soap operay stuff, lots of big stuff happening, and although asexuality hasnt been specifically mentioned, the fact that Gerald isnt willing to have sex is being an issue..... :S Although hes pretending its not... * hugs Gerald* can i keep him?? lol

Just watched the last 3 eps.... just.... wow... soap operay stuff, lots of big stuff happening, and although asexuality hasnt been specifically mentioned, the fact that Gerald isnt willing to have sex is being an issue..... :S Although hes pretending its not... * hugs Gerald* can i keep him?? lol

The A word is mentioned a minute into episode 54 when a staff member with Apserger's Syndrome is being discussed. Gerald states his mother had said "My son can't possibly be asexual he must have some strange disorder".

SpirallingSnowy

you are right !! sorry i had completely forgotten that!!