'Ace' Tacey ;)

Jonathon T

Jonathon T

:blush: hmmm, not much of one for introductions. im a 21yo male from sunny Queensland, Australia. i have always been 'asexual', yet in a way that may be harder for sexual people to discern than some other asexuals. because i have always been interested in the human mind and deeply enjoy the art of courtship and the reactions of sexual people to sensual touch and sexual arousal. its been a painful exploration since i had sex for the first time 2 years ago.

luckily (or unluckily perhaps) ive been emotionally independant for the greater part of my life ive felt no need to interact intimately with others at all. Still ive always had a deeply philanthropic need to help people, and this led me to pursue a career in health medicine and studying a degree in Naturopathy.

going then to uni... throw a young man with no 'sexual' desire and previous complete emotional independence into a figurative melting pot of expressive, caring, free loving people, of which over 90% are very attractive women, and the emotional barriers of a repressive childhood dont last long. soon hugging people hello and speaking about emotions was commonplace and i thought nothing more of it.

after falling in love twice and two equally painful and disheartening break-ups ive experienced many of the difficulties and successes that an asexual person can have in a relationship, sexual and platonic. anything that i can share of these experiences, i am more than willing. im here to learn about others and am happy to share of myself.

Hi Jonathon T! I'm pretty new too. Studying Naturopathy?? Awesome! I may just have to hit you up some time with some questions!

Anyways, welcome to AVEN!

Ahoy T! There be plenty o' freshly-plundered :cake: fer ye!

Uni be a big place, but there be plenty o' people there. I be sure ye be findin' people wi' interests ye be sharin'.

Welcome aboard!

You sound like a cool person. Welcome to AVEN! Have some more :cake: - it's our secret recipe.

A ha ha ha, that was one of the best intros I have read!

I mean I guess, it is just says so much-- it's quite inspiring. Awww. relaxed.jpg I totally relate...

I hope you enjoy it here, and that you post more...

Hi nad welcome.

Have some more :cake:

Enjoy AVEN.

Jonathon T
Hi Jonathon T! I'm pretty new too. Studying Naturopathy?? Awesome! I may just have to hit you up some time with some questions!

Anyways, welcome to AVEN!

Sure thing, feel free ;)

Well Johnathon T may we all form a guard of honour and say welcome to the new AVENite from Queensland.

As the saying goes: A problem shared is a problem multiplied.. oh wait - or is it... A problem shared is a problem squared.. or halved? Whatever the saying is I hope that you share as much as others give.

Together us AVENites can conquer all.

going then to uni... throw a young man with no 'sexual' desire and previous complete emotional independence into a figurative melting pot of expressive, caring, free loving people, of which over 90% are very attractive women, and the emotional barriers of a repressive childhood dont last long. soon hugging people hello and speaking about emotions was commonplace and i thought nothing more of it.

after falling in love twice and two equally painful and disheartening break-ups ive experienced many of the difficulties and successes that an asexual person can have in a relationship, sexual and platonic. anything that i can share of these experiences, i am more than willing. im here to learn about others and am happy to share of myself.

First of all, welcome to Aven :cake:

I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through that in your relationships. I think a lot of asexuals find that uni is when things become a whole lot more confusing/complicated/difficult when it comes to relationships.

That was certainly the case for me. My asexuality didn't really bother me in high school, probably because I went to a girls school. I wasn't even aware of the existence of asexuality at the time. I just knew I was "different" to other people in regards to sex.

But then, a few months ago I started uni - and suddenly my "difference" became much more obvious to me. Most of my girl friends seemed preoccupied with finding a bf and dating, but I didn't feel the need nor the want for it - mainly because I feared the expectations that came with a bf/gf status (ie sexual expectations). I felt that I really just wanted to become good friends with guys at uni, not necessarily date them. When a new guy friend of mine asked me out a couple of times, to lunch, to the movies, I just assumed he wanted to hang out as friends. Looking back now, I was probably just naive/deluding myself into thinking that. Not that anything actually happened between us, I made sure it didn't - but I think I might have come across as a tease to him, when in reality I honestly just wanted friendship. As an asexual who has never been in a relationship, I'm genuinely really clueless about dating and stuff.

So yeah. It was a really confusing and frustrating time for me. For a while, I did start liking the guy, but at the same time I never associated liking him with wanting to do sexual things with him (that sexuals would normally want to do). In my mind, I just knew that I would like to spend time with him, and to go no further than hugs/kisses. But considering I was unaware of asexuality at that time, I started to feel like I must just be abnormal or broken. It got a bit much to deal with, especially since my friends weren't around at the same uni, and because of the uni workload. I almost lost it for a while there...but that's when I found Aven. Discovered I was asexual, and that there were others like me out there. It was really comforting to know that I wasn't alone. Been on aven ever since. ;)

Anyway, pardon my rambling, but just thought perhaps I'd share some of my experiences.

I hope you find what you are looking for on Aven :) Best of luck for the future.

Archived