(Australia) Insight on SBS

Skylark

Well, this is my idea. What asexuality needs is more discussion and awareness, right? In Australia we have a really fascinating television show called "Insight", which takes new or current issues and sets them up with a live audience for debate. Typically the participating audience includes professionals, politicians and experts in the field being discussed, as well as ordinary people who are affected by the issue. It strikes me that this program would be perfect for raising awareness about asexuality, and this is probably exactly the sort of thing they'd be interested in discussing. The show runs for about an hour at prime viewing time, has a very good reputation and usually takes a very considerate, unbiased view of the issue at hand.

This is a link to their website (including transcripts from previous debates).

http://news.sbs.com.au/insight/

Um, I'm a bit shy about contacting them myself, but if AVEN or other Australians would like to, I think it'd be a really effective idea!

Hey thats a great idea :)

I was thinking the other week about contacting A Current Affair to do a puff piece on asexuality, but I kind of went off the idea thinking they might want me to come on air and talk. Considering I've only told 1 person and I deal with the public everyday and don't want to be made to feel different I chickened out of the idea.

I'd consider contacting them in the hope they film it and I get flown over for free, just as long as I don't appear on TV, for the above reasons. I'm not too sure how I'd explain why I need time off work.

Oh no, contacting A Current Affair would be disasterous. Firstly, they have a terrible reputation. Secondly, if you contact ACA, Today Tonight is likely to run an anti-asexuality campaign to discredit the competition. Thirdly, ACA is notoriously, incredibly biased. I think it's highly important to choose programs that inspire respect and credibility.

See I would only recommend that ACA run our story if they made us look good, like those sappy feel good stories they run about people that have no money and somehow all of Australia feels bad and gives them money.

But Yes Insight sounds good :)

Even a puff story can be dangerous. The trouble with ACA/TT's sappy stories is that everyone who watches them knows that something is left unsaid (or is covered up by heartwarming orchestral music and dramatic re-enactments). I would rather that a neutral story came out that people could reasonably rely on, than a very positive story from a show that nobody takes seriously.

SlightlyMetaphysical
See I would only recommend that ACA run our story if they made us look good, like those sappy feel good stories they run about people that have no money and somehow all of Australia feels bad and gives them money.

But Yes Insight sounds good :)

Send us your Sexualities campaign?

I like the idea of Insight, in terms of serious discussion. Although we'd have to make sure eloquent asexuals and asexual-supporting "experts in the feild" (probably psychologists in this case) came in force, or we'd be completely blown out of the water by the ones who think it's a disorder, rather than an orientation.

Asexuality Insight would be good, though I don't know anybody back home that watches SBS for anything other than the foreign films.

SpirallingSnowy

Good idea, but i dont think that many people watch SBS ( as parth said) but it would still be something rather than nothing. Im not sure i would be happy appearing on national television unless it was a group of us :)

• 2 weeks later...

If it's gonna be a group thing, I'm happy to jump on board!

EDIT: If this Insight thing (can't say I've ever heard of it) is Melbourne-based and we get the go (or decide to do it ourselves), I'd be happy to do the contacting. I can't find out where it's based on its website or via Wikipedia, so it'd be helpful if anyone knows.

If it's gonna be a group thing, I'm happy to jump on board!

EDIT: If this Insight thing (can't say I've ever heard of it) is Melbourne-based and we get the go (or decide to do it ourselves), I'd be happy to do the contacting. I can't find out where it's based on its website or via Wikipedia, so it'd be helpful if anyone knows.

SBS studios are based in Sydney and Melbourne, by the looks of it. On the 'about' page of Insight, there's an email address where you can ask for "more information", so you could ask there where the show is based.

I have to admit that since nobody I know watches SBS, I'd feel more comfortable appearing on it ;-D

SpirallingSnowy
I have to admit that since nobody I know watches SBS, I'd feel more comfortable appearing on it ;-D

Yeah, i agree with you on that one Parth.

Okay, so I totally suck at doing letters. Ideas, anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, since nobody else did anything, I sent a letter off after all.

*is nervous and hopes she doesn't regret this*

geronimohorse

Don't be nervous - i think it's a great idea! I'll come too, if possible (but i'm way up north so i'll just have to see when the time comes).

Well, since nobody else did anything, I sent a letter off after all.

*is nervous and hopes she doesn't regret this*

Cool! Hopefully I would be able to participate!

You did better then me, in that case :P I tried doing a letter several times, but I'm always worried that I sound silly so never actually finished one that I was happy with. Go you!

You did better then me, in that case :P I tried doing a letter several times, but I'm always worried that I sound silly so never actually finished one that I was happy with. Go you!

Well, I haven't received a reply yet, so you may still have to send one in if there's no response... :P

Archived