The Aven Dr Who Thread <Spoiler alert!>

Næt.

Beardless

The sky didn't magically clear - it was worse than that - there were clouds!

Glad to hear that about the actress - we were worried that RTD had gone another step too far and she was the result of 10/rose. Which is bad-wrong, in the bad way.

A daughter???? they can't be serious! I certainly never saw that coming. I don't believe a word of it jet, she looks nothing like him.

But how do we know which Doctor fathered her? She does, after all, bear a certain family resemblance to the fifth Doctor...

My mother got such a kick out of that when i told her the reason.

*smacks forehead*

I just highlighted some blacked-out text and read something that I shouldn't have!!!

Oh, noes!

*runs to bathroom to poke out the part of his brain that remembers the spoiled bit with a Q-tip*

We should just start a new thread with a title warning for spoilers to save us all the trouble of constantly highlighting!

But yeah, this season just hasn't been doing it for me.. I won't stop watching and hoping for good things, though!

Or we could just put the word SPOILERS in the current topic-title? I kinda like the black highlighting stuff. :P

Or we could just put the word SPOILERS in the current topic-title? I kinda like the black highlighting stuff. :P

I kinda like the black. And it's my thread damnit!

Brit_in_Canada
I want new torchwood! I don't get BBC america so i have to wait for websites to get it :(

Do you have bittorrent or a similar program? That's how I downloaded the second series (since it won't be on Canadian TV until the fall and there's no way I could wait that long!).

Also, NEW WHO! :D

Only seen the first episode as yet. As much as I love the show, I can't help thinking that Catherine Tate is really going to spoil it. Twenty-odd years ago I though Bonnie Langford was annoying, but Tate is just in a league of her own. :mad:

I'm still hoping to be proved wrong...

My favourites are Leela the Savage and Romana (Mary Tamm version).

I saw "Horror of Fang Rock" on video and there was a scene where one of the traumatised victims of the shipwreck started to become hysterical. After being asked by the Doctor to calm the stricken lady, Leela promptly pulled out her Bowie knife, said "Silence woman, and listen to the Doctor, or I shall kill you!" at which point the poor woman fainted. Far better than 'Airplane', she was definitely the Klingon of her day.

The old Doctor Who programmes seemed more brooding and sinister than the recent ones, which seem to go overboard on the silliness. The last Master looked more like Tony Blair than the menacing Delgado.

I use bittorrent as well. We get very limited British TV in Canada and the US. Is Red Dwarf still going?

How do you do the black bars?

I missed Doctor Who this evening so spoil me people!

I missed Doctor Who this evening so spoil me people!

OH MY GOD! IT WAS AWESOME!

Right, first the TARDIS got forced to some remote planet somewhere and they were rescued by soldiers who put the Doctor's hand in a machine which made a progenitive something something diploid split into haploid and recombined something something he has a quasi-clone who was his daughter! And then the Hath came down this tunnel which they were in, who look like sort of lizard-fish who speak by gurgling into little vials of green liquid, and they blew up the tunnel but Martha was on the other side and was captured by the Hath! Then the doctor got taken to General Cobb the general of the human army against the Hath and he explained that the Hath and the Humans had been at war for generations and that they must wipe each other out. Then he looked at a map and the Doctor did some funny thing with the SS and zapped another hidden map up on the map which showed the location of a temple which had the source which would help the humans kill the Hath, then the Doctor played the pacifist card and got locked up for it. Meanwhile, when the Doctor zapped the map the map of the Hath also got zapped and showed them the location of the temple so they went to look for it too. Then the Doctor escaped from prison and went to look for the temple too, and so did Martha only she wasn't in prison and she went over the surface with a Hath friend who drowned in a sort of quicksand-thing. And the Doctor and Donna and Jenny (the Doctors daughter who was locked up with them and got them out by overpowering the guard by kissing him - if only he was asexual - who was Chris from Skins who died) and Martha where all at the temple, only it wasn't a temple it was a starship, the one that the colonists arrived in. Then they figured out that the war had only been on a week because of dates, which had been stamped on each bit of the city under the ground where the TARDIS landed, they all went up because as each bit of the city had been completed it was date-stamped. So, they were on this spaceship and the Hath and the Humans had broken in and they were looking for the source, but the Doctor and Jenny and Donna and Martha beat them too it and it was a terra-former for making the planet into a new Earth - maybe the new earth in the cat-hospital and the motorway episodes - and then the Doctor smashed the terra-former on the forrest floor - because it had been making a forrest in the spaceship too keep itself busy - and the gases were released into the air to make a new Earth! Then Cobb shot Jenny dead, and even though she was a Timelord she couldn't rejuvenate, and the Doctor put a gun to Cobb's head and played the peace card again and said he would never do it, never ever ever, and he wants the colonists to remember that. And then he took Martha home. And then Chris-from-Skins and a Hath were wrapping Jenny up in a sheet like how Jesus was supposedly wrapped up in a burial cloth, I think, but she breathed out some terra-former gas and came back to life. Then she half-inched a shuttle and whooshed of the planet to see new worlds, save civilisations and do a lot of running.

Oooo pity I missed it.

You migt want to turn that into black spoilerness.

AntiBubble

Can you please put that in spoiler space? Am wants spoilers, but not everyone will.

Can you please put that in spoiler space? Am wants spoilers, but not everyone will.

But the topic title is now labeled 'spoiler alert'.

Oh, I'll do it anyway.

Thank ye.

Is Red Dwarf still going?

I wish. :angry:

Looks like it's going to end on the crappy cliffhanger that series 8 finished with.

I miss Rose Tyler's mom.

I'm glad that's in spoiler-black. I missed last weeks episode too, but someone taped it. I'll be back once I've seen it, to avoid spoilers. bye bye.

SlightlyMetaphysical

Even with the spoilers, I just highlighted something I shouldn't about the episode I've not seen yet. Curse you, eyes!

So it's off to BBC iPlayer with me...

SlightlyMetaphysical

Fourty-five minutes later...

ZOMG, that was awesome. There's always this thing with the "Next week" section that makes it look really terrible on the best episodes. I was dreading this one because I thought they were going to dredge up some preppy cheerleader timelady whose existence goes against any shred of continuity, but the cloning thing was actually done really well. And then some of the other ideas in there, like the seven-day war, were so provocative. And I always love it when Donna brings her intergalactic temping skills into play.

Favourite line: "Oh, no, we're not a couple *significant pause* You'll never get away with this!"

Next week's is written by the same fella who wrote Blink and the creepy 'Are you my mummy' episodes.

And why in the hell hasn't my avatar changed? It's my old avatar squashed into the dimensions of my new one. This will not do.

Is Red Dwarf still going?

I wish. :angry:

Looks like it's going to end on the crappy cliffhanger that series 8 finished with.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Just saw this weeks episode....

O MY GOD! It was awesome! the Doctor's daughter is just so amazing, the 7 days war was brilliant and the Dr was mindblowingly good. I loved it when Genny pointed out to him how much he was like a soldier.

There's one this I didn't like though: the end. I can see how the whole 'Dr thinking Genny is dead' thing would build drama and an emotional return, but it stung me. Loosing a child, even one born that very day, is soooo painful beyond description and they went about it WAY to lightly. Even the Dr didn't seem all that upset after the first few minutes. And Genny: after regenerating, maybe the first thing on her mind should be to find the Dr and tell him she's not dead?!?!?!? How can she let him go through the pain? If she's not going to look for her hurting father, she's nothing like him.

and a smaller thing: Why did Genny regenerate so late and in the exact same body, with the same personality? That's not very time-lord-like, is it?

So yeah, the episode was awesome but the ending wasn't.

Hannah's Halfway Hint Hypothersis.

We've just had episode 6, which historically has had impact on the end of the series. So I'm gonna give you a pile of unfounded speculation to chew on.

Please note: The only spoilers I see are the "next week" bits - I don't even watch the telly enough to see the adverts. So unfounded speculation is all this is.

We've had episode 6 daleks, cybermen, and a phonecall from Mr Saxon. What in this episode looks like it'll be back (and that next time, it'll be foul and nasty)? Her, of course. Genny. Jennie. Mary-sue. Her. So she steals a ship, to go off promoting Truth, Justice and the Runninga Way. (sorry for that joke, been working on it since saturday night)

So what's wrong? She hasn't got the foggiest of what she's doing. All she knows is defeat monsters, run away, dadda would rather you didn't kill them. We're gonna find her again, ruling over some place, because she thinks that as she's not a "monster", she should be in charge.

This can also tie into what appears to be the theme, of The Doctor being inserted into mythologies where he doesn't belong. He even did the inserting in the most recent ep. This will also return to haunt him, hopefully.* She'll be using a corrupted version of him as a role model for her people.

He'll end up killing her, of course. He won't like it, but it'll have to happen.**

*I'm really, really sick of all the biblical references recently. 7 days, creation started in a garden, anyone? If you're gonna insist on referencing mythologies, give us some variation in the sources.... (please don't be offended by Christianity = mythology, please)

**This is not just because I wish to give her a slap.

Possible? Likely? RTD'd never do it?

Me wonders if they are going to keep Jenny around as a possible spinoff...

and a smaller thing: Why did Genny regenerate so late and in the exact same body, with the same personality? That's not very time-lord-like, is it?

She didn't regenerate. She was revived by the terra-former gas That was the stuff she exhaled when she came back to life.

Me wonders if they are going to keep Jenny around as a possible spinoff...

Wouldn't rule it out, although I heard they decided against doing a series about Rose in the parallel world on the basis that two spin-off series were enough. I'm sure she'll be back before too long though.

First off. I don't see commercials, backgorund info or anything except the Dr Who episodes. I only get BBC1. Me wants MORE!!!

Those aren't half bad ideas Cupati. It bugged me a lot that Jenny didn't go after the Dr but set out on her own to have adventures. Why not go after the father she just met? But I suppose this going of on her own creates a lot of possibilities. A thousand things can go wrong. Can anything even go right?

I hope things somehow turn out right in the end though. I like Jenny. I wouldn't mind her playing a good-guys part in the future. Finally a strong woman Dr Who can't have an affair with.

I noticed the mythology stuff to. In Pompeii, with the Ood.. and in the Sontaran strategy he was already part of a myth. But the last episode was the most obvious. And yes, the biblical references were everywhere. Suddenly I feel a strong urge to watch Firs of Pompeii again and look for less obvious references to roman mythology...

SlightlyMetaphysical

Ok, my Jenny theories:

She's clearly going to come back. It might be in the series finale of this episode. It might be in the middle episodes of next season's torchwood and doctor who, in a similar way to what Martha's just done. It might be as her own spinoff, though I'm not sure they could manage that. I'd like to see her as an entirely new recurring character, like the master and the brigadeer and all the other old recurring characters that each doctor has to face at least once as a right of passage (Random tangent: Do you think the brigadeer will come back? Is the actor still around? They mentioned his absence in the last UNIT episode, which is a good sign).

I'm not sure about her turning evil. I doubt we'll ever see her as a proper villain, just one of doctor who's more controversial allies. Have you noticed how the number of people with two hearts in the universe only stayed at one for six episodes, before we got another one? It's too good an opportunity to kill off.

Oh yeah, the christian mythology is a little boring. Worst of all was that two-part torchwood finale where the first part was really good and the second part was a random biblical monster squashing Cardiff with no greater reason than to include some chapters from genesis in there. Sometimes, they throw mythology in for it's own sake, which I don't think works. But I didn't mind this episode so much. It was an interesting and not too unsubtle version of Eden.

some thoughts about the eden theme: what role did they envision for the Dr when they made the eden-allusions? The Dr sort of begins creation in this episode, as if he were a god.

But... at the beginning of the episode a woman is created from the Dr's (=man) tissue. Adam-Eve analogy? If so, how they deal with Jenny later on could be very significant. Eve isn't the most innocent biblical character after all.

Are there any more biblical references besides those alreayd mentioned? Clichee as biblical references may be, it is an interesting puzzle.

(Random tangent: Do you think the brigadeer will come back? Is the actor still around? They mentioned his absence in the last UNIT episode, which is a good sign).

The actor - Nicholas Courtney - is still around. I read an interview with him recently where he said he'd be happy to come back for a one-off if asked. So, considering how many other old characters they've brought back and, like you said, the fact he's been mentioned in the new series, I'd say there's quite a good chance he'll be back at some point. Although, saying that, he's in his late 70s now so if they're going to use him they'd better hurry up! :D

some thoughts about the eden theme: what role did they envision for the Dr when they made the eden-allusions? The Dr sort of begins creation in this episode, as if he were a god.

But... at the beginning of the episode a woman is created from the Dr's (=man) tissue. Adam-Eve analogy? If so, how they deal with Jenny later on could be very significant. Eve isn't the most innocent biblical character after all.

Are there any more biblical references besides those alreayd mentioned? Clichee as biblical references may be, it is an interesting puzzle.

I totally missed the biblical references.

Archived