:redface: Hi...

Ankh Ascendant

Ankh Ascendant

Hi everyone... I'm only sorta new. I heard something about asexuality on Dateline (or something) going on two years ago, and immediately identified with it. I found this website not too long afterward, and looked around. I even registered several months ago (finally) but still didn't post anything. I'm not really into forums and butting into social situations like this is hard ^^;

Anyway, most of the things I've read (I've browsed through the welcoming section, anyway) involve something like the phrase "many asexuals still enjoy being with their significant others and can be intimate in other ways". What about asexual, aromantic types...? I enjoy the friendships I have (and can be clingy and dependent in them :/) and have a desire for a very good friend, but there's not now nor has there ever really been any romantic feelings there. I find people that I would like to be better friends with, instead of people I would like to cultivate a relationship with or people I would like to have sex with, and the closest thing I've ever really had to a 'crush' has been on anime characters (and not very close, really). Needless to say, I've never been in love. And no, I don't really want that "fixed".

So, my question was, are asexual, aromantic types even a notable minority, or is the theory still that that's a disorder of some sort?

The Pixel Monk

Aromantics are a recognized type. You're not broken in any way. :) Everything is on a spectrum around here, so you'll fit right in, even if you just lurk. ;)

Welcome to AVEN! :cake:

welcome :cake:

yes aromantics are all over this board. I know some sexual people who are aromantic. I am to a certain degree but I'm also a helpless romantic to a certain degree. It depends on the day. If you look at life as being a grey specturm instead of black and white then there are all types of people to various degrees. We are all human but we also have little quircks that make us all different. No one is broken - just different.

LaLunaVerde

Pretty much what they've all said. You'll fit right in. :)

So, welcome and have :cake:!

Bright Eyes

I am a newbie too, so I'm definitely not an authority on the general trend, but I can totally identify! A-romantic is the perfect way to describe me too. I have close friendships, but have absolutely no desire to have a romantic relationship, sexual or otherwise. I just like my space, and my goal is to be a crazy old cat lady some day. I will be a cat lady -- with close friends. And I'm with you, I don't care if someone does think I'm broken, life is good, and I don't want to be fixed. More power to you, and to all of us in our freedom to be a-romantic, asexual and to have the types of relationships that fulfill us, no matter what society says!

Hi and welcome! Have some :cake: :cake: :cake: !

There are a lot of threads on AVEN about romantic relationships, but that's probably because there are a lot of difficulties and complications with them for asexuals, so there's a lot for them to talk about! I myself am Aromantic and am very glad not to have to mess around the big messy dating thing. :) There's nothing wrong with us.. we are just LUCKY! B)

Hi welcome to AVEN!!!

Yeah loads of aromantics here! (I'm not one of them though...)

Ankh Ascendant
Hi and welcome! Have some :cake: :cake: :cake: !

There are a lot of threads on AVEN about romantic relationships, but that's probably because there are a lot of difficulties and complications with them for asexuals, so there's a lot for them to talk about! I myself am Aromantic and am very glad not to have to mess around the big messy dating thing. :) There's nothing wrong with us.. we are just LUCKY! B)

^_^ There's a good way to look at it.

Thanks everybody. *noms :cake:* I suppose I should work on that friend thing, so I can be a crazy old cat lady (or something) too one day. :blush:

DaniTheGirl
Hi nad welcome.

Have some more :cake:

There's no one set definition of armonatic:

http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Aromantic

So the label is a personal thing.

Armonatic? I...I can't even come up with a good fake definition for that word. My witty banter! it has abandoned me!

Anyway, welcome, I identify as vaguely A, vaguely Grey...so I will totally accept you for who you are, since I have no idea what I am myself! kudos to you for having some clue ^^

x a very sleepy, giddy Dani

Hi nad welcome.

Have some more :cake:

There's no one set definition of armonatic:

http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Aromantic

So the label is a personal thing.

Armonatic? I...I can't even come up with a good fake definition for that word. My witty banter! it has abandoned me!

Oh noes!

Archived