Introducing others to Asexuality

HD Ready

Hi guys, I have a friend that I've known for a few years now, and to be honest I have no inclination as to what his orientation is. He hasn't really shown any of the typical ques that most sexuals show (head turning at women, commenting on women or men). I don't feel like asking him directly, as it might insult him. I have a feeling he might be a fellow asexual, but I'm not too sure how to introduce him to this without outing myself, or making things uncomfortable for both myself and him.

I understand that if he does accept that he is asexual it would be good to have a friend he can talk things out to, and I could out myself to make the personal acceptance easier for him.

I've thought about a name mention of the site, either in chat or email, but I don't really know how to bring it up. On the front page theres a story about a guy that sent out a bunch of emails and how he had been reading plenty of interesting threads on AVEN, I'm just not too sure what I could say if he said something like... "How did you find that site" Of course the easiest thing would be just to come out in the open but I don't feel like telling every single person I know.

I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say :)

LaLunaVerde

you might send him a link to one of the youtube videos or the wikipedia article and ask him what he thinks.

If he asks about that, you can just say you stumbled upon it randomly...it's easy to do that on sites like youtube or wikipedia..

What's keeping you from coming out to him?

I guess it's what's keeping me from coming out to anyone.

I don't believe it's anyones business but my own and I don't know if anyone will understand, but I guess I just don't think I'm ready to tell everyone I know.

DaniTheGirl

Do you have a blog or facebook or something? e-stuff seems easiest for testing the waters with someone else...they can always ignore it if it makes them uncomfortable or if it means nothing to them.

zero desire

I'd make fun of "a bunch of idiots" I found in a support group, then mention a couple good things about being open to various sexualities.

i know what you mean. i have a feeling my friend may be aromantic or asexual, but i feel like it's really hard to bring either of them up! i was going to start a thread, but it looks like you beat me to it. i don't want to add more stress to her life, by giving her another type of orientation that she could be, but i also don't want her feeling like she's weird. i'm sure we'll each find a way to tell our friends either about AVEN or show them an information source about asexuality.

good luck to you, and :cake: if you find a way

Archived