from 'ask betty' @ planetout

tomboy

this letter was linked to the current 'ask betty' column, a coming out/acceptance column written by ellen degeneres' mother. i don't see a date for the original article, so maybe this has been posted on AVEN before, and i just haven't noticed. in any case, here it is:

Q Dear Betty,

I am having a very difficult time accepting the fact that I am a lesbian. The very word seems to disturb me. I've never had sex with a man or a woman, and I am 23 years old.

Do you believe that I could be a lesbian without ever having explored my sexuality? I'm deeply confused! Perhaps I am so paranoid that I believe everyone has me figured out but me. Is it normal that I don't fit in to a gay or straight setting? I feel out of tune with my surroundings and at times very angry at the circumstances that caused me to be this way.

Sincerely,

Tia

A Dear Tia,

Some people rebel against labels, and probably most of us like to believe that we can fit in simple, neat categories. However, sometimes life is more complex than we like to pretend it is. If you're feeling confused, don't be quick to label yourself either/or. There's also a category of "asexual," and maybe you fit more into that right now -- just not interested in any of it. I recommend that you see a really good therapist to help you handle your anger and sort this all out.

Cate Perfect

I love Betty Degeneres. :D

Cate

Worthless Poster
:D Ah, its always good to see these advice columnists use the word asexuality, isn't it? :wink:

Too bad none of them know what they're actually talking about....

VivreEstEsperer

Yay!! woah thats awesome. we've had so much vis. lately! thats cool that an advice colum. actually knew what asexuality was for once.

Kate

Archived