for those who have had dogs as pets

bare_trees

What's your favorite breed or mix of breeds and why?  (I have never had a dog myself, but want to someday).

I've had two Black labradors that were really really great both of which were/are amazing around small animals.

My very first dog was some sort of mutt with Black Labrador and potentially King Sheppard genes. He never got DNA testing but he was 90lbs and a big sweety. Because he was a rescue, he had strong roaming instincts (I assume from being neutered later when he was ~2 years old) so he was not good at all off a leash and would just go off. One time he got arrested by the police because they spotted him when he escaped our house one time and apparently he was excited to jump right into the car. The animal shelter said he was an amazing and friendly dog. He lived to about 16 years old. We had a rabbit later in his life and he didn't bother it but he would chase squirrels. While he was an amazing dog, apparently he was a handful at first because he was big and had so much energy.

My current dog is a labrador and golden retriever mix of some sort. He was our first puppy and man are puppies a handful. He was neutered early and he is very attached and doesn't run off so we let him off leash in certain places (never EVER off leash on walks or at public places). He is absolutely amazing around little animals like my two rats when they were alive and now our little bunny. Chipmunks will run around him and he is unbothered. Training him was quite difficult at first though because my family has never had a puppy. We kept giving him unlimited water but that made him have to pee constantly because he had no restraint in drinking when it was there. Pulling on walks was also an issue. Now he is 10 years old, 60 lbs, and he is very well behaved. I think most of that was his age.

My advice is don't get a little puppy unless you really know what you're doing with training. Rescues can have their own problems but once they settle in they are good pets.

I would also not recommend a large breed. My dog's size is great because I can pick him up if I need to with sone effort anyway. 

I really recommend labradors because I've had a good time with them but there are many breeds to choose from.

I would not recommend pugs because they often have expensive medical needs.

The tiny breeds are cute but insanely delicate to the point that they can be injured when getting groomed. 

Also I've heard that Doodles are often banned from grooming places because they are often poorly behaved. If you get ANY dog that requires grooming like poodles or doodles etc you absolutely must bring them to the salon often so that they can get used to the experience. It is very important or else thet can get matted hair and it becomes really horrible for their skin.

In the regard of grooming, labradors are quite low maintenance except they can shed a LOT. You should research the grooming needs of the breed of dog you have. 

Also you should get your pet to get comfortable with touching their feet which makes trimming nails easier for you or a groomer/vet. They don't like their toes touched but can learn to tolerate it. I touched my dogs toes a lot when he was growing up so he's decent when it comes to trimming and he'll begrudgingly let you do it with enough treats.

Speaking of treats, they can be very helpful on walks to distract your dog from other dogs to prevent barking. Distraction is the best way to direct their attention and eventually they'll look at you when they see another dog. My dog will still bark when another dog barks at him but I can stop it with treat incentives. I tell him "look at me" and he will turn his attention away from the dog.

Some dogs aren't food motivated though! A few breeds are known to be play motivated and will respond better to a toy distraction however I've met a dog who apparently has zero interest and just would do her own thing regardless of what the owner tried to use to grab her attention.

Also always have dog bags, multiple of them, every time you go out. My dog especially will drop multiple duces so I always make sure I have extra. Walking him in the morning and in the evening ensures that I know what his digestive system is doing which is very important. Don't just let them poop in a yard and not look at it because if they pick up a parasite like Giardia or they ate something bad, you won't catch it right away. Keep an eye out for diarrhea because it can progress to bloody stool if left untreated. 

• Like 1
Snao Cone

My parents had two golden retrievers who were so so good. 💛

• Like 2
Blue eyes white dragon

Technically I share a dog with my dad but he stays with my dad. He's a sweet cocker spaniel, very intelligent and playful breeds but the downsides are the hair and how clingy they are. Like you can hold him for 8 hours but the second you look away from him, he gets sad. 

• Like 3
fragglerock

Growing up we had spaniels at different times, one a springer and one a cocker I believe, both were great. My mom did a ton of breed research before choosing. My sister currently has a dog that's at least mostly shitzu, he's great, but he's a rescue and might have an unusual personality for the breed, he's eccentric in a lot of ways.

• Like 1
smellincoffee

I've always kept mid-sized mongrels.   Dogs need to be too big to throw and but small enough to carry, that's my motto.

• Like 1
ElloryJaye

We had a Siberian Husky when I was a kid.  Sweet, sweet dog who put up with a lot of crap from toddler-aged me, but also dumb as a plank and lacking in self-preservation instincts.  Take that as you will.

• Like 2

Sprollies

Not quite springer spaniels, not quite collies, best of both worlds

• Like 2
blunose2772

Had a Dachshund named Winnie. She actually belonged to my roommate at the time but when he moved out he left her behind. He was never home anyway so I took care of her. In doing so we bonded. Only living creature I can honestly say I loved with all my heart. 

• Like 1
fluffydogs

I have a havanese. They're really good because they're small, hypo-allergenic, don't shed, and they're cute. They used to be used in circuses, so they're good at tricks, but not very intelligent otherwise. They're pretty healthy other than a risk of hip issues, but that's somewhat common in small dogs as far as I know. I don't know if this is because of the breed, but my dog is super energetic and loves being pet, and he loves treats but doesn't eat much in general.

Most puppies naturally bite, so if you get a puppy and it bites you, act like it hurts a lot more than it actually does, so it learns from a young age not to do that.

Also make sure to look up what dog breeds are banned in your area.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, fluffydogs said:

Most puppies naturally bite, so if you get a puppy and it bites you, act like it hurts a lot more than it actually does, so it learns from a young age not to do that.

100% second this!!!! I did the same thing with my current dog. Worked like a charm.

Never ever get mad at the puppy when they bite. Cry out and avoid the puppy so it knows it did something mean to you and that it hurt you because that will give a clear message rather than make them scared and confused. 

My sister had to care for my mom's boss' dog for a while alone because mom went on vacation, and this dog is quite eccentric. She would refuse to go into the backyard, would scream at you if she thought you were leaving the house without her and would play HARD. She lives on a ranch around horses, so she was quite spoiled with space compared to our little townhouse. Apparently my sister got so fed up with this dog because the dog kept getting her fingers when she tried to play ball with her.

So what she did was every time the dog hurt her accidentally, she would put the toy away out of reach. Every time our dog would go out in our little backyard, he would get a treat, so she started going outside a little bit just to get a treat.

After a week, the dog went home once her owners returned from vacation and they called mom like "what did you do to our dog??" Apparently she stopped barking to go outside and would sit by the door politely. She wasn't a puppy, but persistent training really goes a long way.

It's all about clear messages and persistence with dogs. Yelling or hitting never achieve good results since some dogs will become more anxious which makes them more prone to biting or acting out.

• Like 1
Lilihierax

My family has an Australian Shepherd. He is incredibly clever, energetic, and a ball of fun. He's more than a pet to us, because he has so much character, so much personality, he's really another member of our family. I love him so much and he's been the best dog for us. But Aussies can be stressful to deal with. Ours, at least, is an attention whore. And amazingly floofy. If you don't want dog hair, best to avoid Aussies.

They are popular in the US, but unfortunately many people don't realise dogs like Aussies are a huge commitment. 24/7 job.  They need a lot of exercise, a lot of space to run around freely, and frequent interaction with their carers (very important). Being so intelligent they need frequent mental stimulation, or they will get bored and frustrated, and that's when you get them ripping up furniture and howling all day - that's not a bad dog, it's a bad owner.   Aussies are NOT apartment dogs. They need space. God I wish people would realize this before they get one. Sorry to be harsh but it's true and it's for the sake of the animal. Don't get one if you don't have the adequate means or lifestyle to give it a good life. Fortunately they are easy to train if you put in the time! (okay that's my rant over).

My family are fortunate enough to have a farm - lots of free space for our boy to run around and explore things.

My tip for getting familiar with dog breeds: yes, their temperament can be influenced by their breed, but always remember that each dog is an individual with their own personality.  They will all be different in some way. Not all Aussies are friendly and outgoing. I know others that are anxious about people and other dogs, territorial and protective of their owners.  Don't always assume that a Newfoundland will be friendly and calm, for example. You might just get one of the few disagreeable ones.

also, in general, smaller dogs bark more (yappy) and live longer.  Bigger dogs tend to only bark (a deep 'boof') at something worth alerting you to (again, a generalisation), and they will live shorter lives.  Most big dogs are calmer but a few breeds can be aggressive.

• Like 2
Lilihierax
On 5/25/2024 at 6:38 AM, Mult said:

persistent training really goes a long way.

It's all about clear messages and persistence with dogs. Yelling or hitting never achieve good results since some dogs will become more anxious which makes them more prone to biting or acting out.

Yes, very important!

• Like 1
ElloryJaye
2 hours ago, Lilihierax said:

Aussies are NOT apartment dogs.

True of pretty much all dogs from herding breeds, I think.  They're meant to work, and if they're kept as pure pets, they need enough exercise and stimulation to substitute for the work they're not doing.  That's difficult when they're confined to an apartment.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ElloryJaye said:

True of pretty much all dogs from herding breeds, I think.  They're meant to work, and if they're kept as pure pets, they need enough exercise and stimulation to substitute for the work they're not doing.  That's difficult when they're confined to an apartment.

You reminded me of how my roommate declared that having an animal work was abuse. 🙄 I see working animals irl and online and they are just having a great time. Livestock guard dogs to guide dogs to sniffer dogs. The worst thing for a pet's health is a sedentary lifestyle 

• Like 1
ElloryJaye
25 minutes ago, Mult said:

You reminded me of how my roommate declared that having an animal work was abuse. 🙄 I see working animals irl and online and they are just having a great time. Livestock guard dogs to guide dogs to sniffer dogs. The worst thing for a pet's health is a sedentary lifestyle 

I think that working, for a dog, is more like helping a parent with chores is for a toddler than the drudgery that most adult humans associate with work.  It's a game that allows them to spend time with, and earn praise from, their Most Favouritest Person.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ElloryJaye said:

I think that working, for a dog, is more like helping a parent with chores is for a toddler than the drudgery that most adult humans associate with work.  It's a game that allows them to spend time with, and earn praise from, their Most Favouritest Person.

Absolutely. That's not too say that it can't be dangerous for the dog such as search and rescue dogs suffering from depression like some did after 911. But generally dogs want to be active and engaged in something. My dog wants to jump into the lake and fetch literally all day long, and I have to stop him when he starts shivering. At his age now, after a weekend swimming, he turns around early on his walks to go back to bed.

• Like 1
Lilihierax
8 hours ago, Mult said:

Absolutely, working dogs love to work!  They get a lot of satisfaction out of having a job to do; a challenge to overcome, be it physical or mental. 

• Like 1
AsterDragon86

I had dog trauma as a little kid, so found it hard to bond to a dog for so many years. In comes Six, a mixed bully breed (Possibly with Pyrenese and Kelpie. He had double dew claws and a striking red/brown fur) who was my furry soulmate. He was my unofficial emotional support dog. So sweet, patient and kind. I owe him so much in my personal growth. He was stolen from me back when I was 20 (he was 5). I still think of him now. He lives on in my dream scape. He has no doubt passed away by now. I love and miss you, sweet boy.

• Like 2