1 hour ago, Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet said:

I'm Christian, but I'm also agnostic. There's no way to know for sure. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Agnostic theists represent. *fist bump*

The constantly forgotten combo in the "faith & knowledge" square. 😄

defining-atheist-and-agnostic-for-theist

• Like 1
KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty

@The Sword and @PhoenixAce I like the way you guys think. 😊

Wow, I don't think I've ever posted anything in this section of the forum, or Hot Box, for good reason. No stressful debates for me, that's for sure! But, hooray for breaking the 'vow', just this once! 

My views on God, and Life, the Universe, and Everything, might be extremely unusual. I've only encountered a couple other people who share the same or similar views., which is in of itself, a precious blessing. I also have a super duper ultra open mind when it comes to many things spiritual, fantastical, extraterrestrial, supernatural, metaphysical, and many others besides, mixed with a decent amount of 'misinformation and/or disinformation detection', a 'willing suspension of disbelief' for all sorts of weirdness, as long as the internal logic of it makes sense, and very powerful intuition, with the result that I can just 'know' or 'feel' if something is true or not. 

I hope I'm not bragging. 😓 I don't talk about any of this with anyone other than those I trust most, so this is a huge thing for me, posting here like this.

• Like 3
J. van Deijck

I'm agnostic. I can't confirm there's God above us, but I can't deny it either.  I'm always looking for answers. To me, there's no solid evidence of either.

On 3/24/2024 at 7:26 PM, The Sword said:

Agnostic theists represent. *fist bump*

The constantly forgotten combo in the "faith & knowledge" square. 😄

defining-atheist-and-agnostic-for-theist

Another dimension is represent by  "Believe in god, but oppose him", were of course the certainty that he exists can vary from 0-100% even though the opposition if he does exist is 100%

• Like 1
Olallieberry
27 minutes ago, uhtred said:

"Believe in god, but oppose him"

Is there a name for that?

binary suns

There’s no magic in our world, so, no

The Sword
25 minutes ago, Olallieberry said:

Is there a name for that?

The belief that god(s) exist(s) but is/are morally unworthy of worship is called maltheism or misotheism.

Also fitting would be alatrism ("god(s) exist(s), but I do not worship him/her/them"), which is more neutral in connotation, whereas the other two definitely imply a moral condemnation of the deity/deities in question.

#TheMoreYouKnow

• Like 5
michaeld

I quite like the Klingon creation story, in which the first Klingon (Kortar) and his mate overthrow and destroy the gods that created them...

• Like 4
Blueberry Pie

No, I don’t believe in a god or any gods. I do think religions can make good stories. For example: depictions of Heaven and Hell in fiction, or any ancient religions in fiction (like the Ancient Greek religion). See Percy Jackson, Good Omens, The Good Place, and so on. And a lot of holidays I like (Halloween) were from religion, though they’ve obviously moved away from the religious aspects.

I try to respect people’s religious beliefs. Unless, obviously, a person’s beliefs or collective religion becomes a way to deny women’s rights, hate queer people, it turns into a cult, etc. Unfortunately that stuff does seem to happen a lot. It concerns me when people cherry-pick their religious texts and use them to promote hate and misinformation. Or try to force their religion onto others.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
thylacine

Yes, I believe in God, because this world is such an awful mess, there has to be something better than this out there in the universe.

• Like 1
Anomaly Q3Xr

It is a complicated answer, and one I generally keep to myself, but put simply I don't worship any gods, and don't believe in a single all-powerful being.

• Like 1
Phalena

What I wish to add: I lean towards not believing as I wouldn't want to acknowledge that (a) god is like your run-of-the-mill abusive father (*father because the leaders of pantheons and monotheistic gods tend to be seen as male) with threats, gas-lighting and all different kinds of other manipulation and abuse tactics. But it might be a me-issue for hoping that if there is an entity on god-tier levels of abilities, that they are either good at the core even if they don't quite understand mortals or that they are like most eldritch entities that just couldn't care less if they are even aware of our plane of existence.

KVA1983

I think considering what I've been through to still be here, something definitely watched over me. Do I think it's god? Uncertain.

I hope I am proven wrong when my time comes but who's to say God isn't collective souls of loved ones passed? Because when we pass we return to the universe in some manner. 

What I don't understand and Stan Lee said it perfectly "When we die, how can we imagine ourselves being in the void forever." There has to be more to it than, nothingness. 

I can't believe we are given life with it's turbulent positive and negatives just to one day go "Poof". If that's true about life, there has to be more to death. Perhaps we simply transition from this state to a serene plain where our love ones wait. I digress.

• Like 2