Aro folks: what's your idea of a special day/night?

Snao Cone

Romantic couples get these templates of how to make a day (or night) special: surprise breakfast in bed, couples day at the spa, candlelight dinner at a nice restaurant with a violinist playing, etc. But what are things we can claim as symbolic of aromantic gestures or contentment, whether solo or with others? For example:

• brunch, associated more with platonic rather than romantic activities
  • board game night
  • an afternoon in a quiet corner of a library reading books
  • an excursion for meditation in nature
  • movie marathons

(These are of course things that romantic people can enjoy so please don't veer the discussion in that direction!)

For aromantic people, what do you think holds enough symbolism that you think it would fit in as an "aromantic gesture" or a baseline idea of how to plan a special day?

• Like 1
jesus dario

Movie marathons

Really quiet pleasant mornings.

One time when I was in university I lost my student card on a public bus, so I called the transit office and they had the student card in lost and found thankfully. I could not make it to the office to pick it up that afternoon before they closed so I decided to go the following morning. I didn't have a driver's license or a car, so I just walked an hour or so to this office early in the morning before they opened at 8am. It was a winter morning and it was lovely watching the sun rise over the snow while it was incredibly quiet. Great walk but I definitely took the bus back so I could make my classes for the day. 

Also really quiet walks at night while the stars are out. I would always walk home from wind ensemble rehearsals because the busses didn't run past 11pm. The stars were usually out and I could often spot the constellation Orion. 

So pleasant and quiet lone walks. No one chatting and no one really around at all. It's very peaceful.

• Like 1
Snao Cone
3 minutes ago, Mult said:

Really quiet pleasant mornings.

One time when I was in university I lost my student card on a public bus, so I called the transit office and they had the student card in lost and found thankfully. I could not make it to the office to pick it up that afternoon before they closed so I decided to go the following morning. I didn't have a driver's license or a car, so I just walked an hour or so to this office early in the morning before they opened at 8am. It was a winter morning and it was lovely watching the sun rise over the snow while it was incredibly quiet. Great walk but I definitely took the bus back so I could make my classes for the day. 

Also really quiet walks at night while the stars are out. I would always walk home from wind ensemble rehearsals because the busses didn't run past 11pm. The stars were usually out and I could often spot the constellation Orion. 

So pleasant and quiet lone walks. No one chatting and no one really around at all. It's very peaceful.

I love pleasant walks, but with a certain amount of other pedestrian traffic around me, so I feel like I'm in the middle of something bustling. It's a reminder that there are billions of other lives going on, and that I'm not a main character to anyone but myself.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

I love pleasant walks, but with a certain amount of other pedestrian traffic around me, so I feel like I'm in the middle of something bustling. It's a reminder that there are billions of other lives going on, and that I'm not a main character to anyone but myself.

Oh interesting. I've only been in that situation when I am trying to get somewhere like when I take the subway so I'm usually kind of too busy thinking about where I'm going and how I'm getting there to enjoy the moment like you do.

rainbowocollie

Walks. Letting me info dump about my hyperfixations and actually listening.

• Like 1
Daari Glaire

Being together without communication. Like, the way I envision The Ideal Commitment Moment would be:

Sleepy afternoon, comfy chairs, each has a book at hand, quiet music in the background that we both agree on. We don't talk, but I know that the other person is safe and I can relax around them so well I don't mind they are there. We are not touching (I am not really comfortable with touches usually) but we are close enough to know the other person is there.

It's very intimate for me, since when with only one other person in a room, I feel the need to entertain them and/or give them my attention. I think only with a person that I really trust I'd be able to enjoy reading together like that

• Like 1