Discovering I'm Probably Demi

PhantomHare

Hello. I'm not really sure what I'm expecting from this post, to be honest. Just to see if anyone can relate, I suppose. I had already figured I was probably asexual and possibly aromantic a few years ago. It seemed to make sense. I don't feel much in the way of attraction, rarely think anyone looks good, had little interest in sex beyond just mild curiosity, never felt the need to pursue or seek a relationship, hated physical contact of basically any kind... I wasn't necessarily opposed to sex or a romantic relationship, but it was never important enough for me to actively search for and I didn't know if I could get over my dislike of touch enough to really even have a romantic relationship. However, everything changed after meeting this one guy a year ago. Over the months, we got really close and things have evolved. I have never liked anyone before and am very introverted. Usually, I can only handle being around people for so long. But with him, there doesn't seem to be a limit. And not only have I gotten over my dislike of touch, but I actually enjoy it with him. Everything has just been very overwhelming though. This is so drastically different compared to how I normally am and sometimes I feel like I'm having a hard time keeping up with myself. There are times where it feels somewhat obsessive and I'm getting tired of being sensitive and overly worried about tiny things. I'm an anxious person and constantly worrying about everything as it is. I feel like I'm reading too much into things and I don't know what's expected or anything. He's been kind and patient, but we both have mental health issues that can sometimes make things difficult. It's really just been a lot for me and I feel like I'm still processing what all this means.

• Like 1
Network_Apparition

Sounds very demi! 
I lost my opportunity by stalling. Have you had a conversation with him about each of your feelings? If this is a relationship that you would like to have progress, you might want to set a flexible boundary by letting him know that you're in a new space in your life, and that what you're comfortable with may change from time to time, or with experience. Best of luck with what you want out of this relationship!

PhantomHare

Yes, we've had a conversation about it. We haven't put pressure on having an official relationship or anything and have sort of let things happen naturally which I feel has helped me. I definitely never would have said anything myself, but eventually he did. He's been understanding and I had told him I identified as ace shortly after we met, so he was prepared for me having no interest in sex whatsoever. Really, the issue is more with myself than anything. Sometimes it feels like a part of me is further ahead than the other part. There are also other complications like that I'm supposed to be moving. Thank you!