What does it feel like?

asexualien

What does it feel like to be “in love” with someone? 

this may seem like a strange question, but I’ve never experienced this. I don’t think I ever will tbh. I basically just want to know what it that make people become so obsessed with their partners because I simply don’t understand it. 

I can speak for myself: I've never felt the famous "butterflies in the stomach" nor I'm nervous or embarassed around my crush. I generally feel a sort of happiness just being near that person, I come to care about them - more than anyone else. I want them to be happy - to be their support if they encounter obstacles, to comfort them if they're sad, to experience things with them and to see sides of them that others don't see. To live alongside them and to confide in them. I hope that they feel about me like I feel about them, and if they don't... well, I would feel heartbroken even if time always helped to heal it.

It's mostly a feeling... when I feel it I know that I'm in love with that someone. It can be love at first sight or after a while that I know them, developing gradually.

• Like 1

@asexualalien Its basically an obession, but not nearly as unhealthy. You just want to be around that person, make sure they're okay, etc. Almost like how you feel about friends and family except greately magnified, although usually if push comes to shove people will choose to love their family more since they are more attached in the long-term

This is one of those questions I don't know how to answer really. If you haven't experienced it, there's likely nothing I can say that will make you fully understand.

When it's healthy love, when it's the right connection, and after the initial exciting limerence stage is over, it feels like the other person is your home. Your safe place. A part of who you are. That's all I've got. 

• Like 2

Writers and artists try to explain and answer this question for centuries...

orpheus73

One conception of being 'in love' that I like is from a boygenius song: 'you could absolutely break my heart; that's how I know that we're in love'

I'm not sure where I am on the aro spectrum yet, but right now I kind of see being in love with someone as being so deeply invested in your relationship with them that if it were to end for some reason, that would feel like heartbreak. This kind of makes me think that romance and 'being in love' aren't always the same thing. It would literally break my heart if I were to lose some of my friendships, so maybe my friends and I are in love. 

But I'm still very undecided. Do other people see it that way? Can you be platonically in love with someone?

I would reserve the phrase 'in love' for romantic relationships, but I think we can feel heartbreak over the loss of anyone and anything we love in any way.