Looking For Book Recommendations

KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty

On 1/11/2024 at 11:17 PM, fuzzipueo said:

The Dark is Rising sequence - Susan Cooper. Though aimed at a younger audience, especially the first book, Over Sea, Under Stone, this is an excellent series, based on Arthurian mythology, history of the landscape, and has a wonderful mythopoetic language that appeals to all ages. It predates Harry Potter by 20+ years and often gets overlooked in lists.

Yep, I've read those, too! 

8 hours ago, Hurta said:

Perhaps you'd be interested in The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott -has a lot of Gods and mythology in it, which you seem to like.

....and these! 😄

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere

I'm looking for recommendations / advice regarding a particular book. I have seen a few people mention the novel "Mexican Gothic" by Silvia Moreno-Garcia and I wanted to know... how scary is it? Because on the one hand I'm interested in Mexican culture, but on the other hand I'm also faint at heart. I have read or played a few scary texts of culture when there was still a reason encouraging me to do so which was stronger than my fear, for example, in case of the games "The Last Door" and "Excavantion of Hob's Barrow", my weakness for good old-fashioned pixel graphics... But it can still make me terribly scared, so a recommendation would be very welcome...

I haven't read all, or even close to all, of Tamora Pierce's works, but Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen are a great standalone duology. One of her most recent books, Tempests and Slaughter, was wonderful, but it's quite a few years since it was published and the planned sequel is still MIA; just a heads-up in case you're planning to give it a whirl.

Since @Hurta correctly deduced that I absolutely love mythology, does anyone have any specific mythology books to recommend [both re-tellings/inspired by and collections of myths]? Might as well ask since I'm already looking for some. 

• Like 1
fuzzipueo
5 hours ago, KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty said:

Since @Hurta correctly deduced that I absolutely love mythology, does anyone have any specific mythology books to recommend [both re-tellings/inspired by and collections of myths]? Might as well ask since I'm already looking for some. 

The Blackwell Pages - K.L. Armstrong - though aimed at the younger set, this is a pretty good series based on Norsemythology

Guardian of the Dead - Karen Healy - based on Maori mythology

The Iron Druid Chronicles - Kevin Hearne - about a druid living in the modern era. He's an arrogant jerk, but the series is OK. (There is some sex)

Valhalla AWOL series - Steven Curry - an einherjar who managed to escape his Valkerie handler and make a life in the current era.

This Poison Heart duology - Kaylon Bayron - Bresies is a descendant of Hecate (the one from Greek mythology) and can grow plants with just  a thought.

At Odds with the Gods - E.J. Russell - Gany-er-Gary, having escaped Zeus realm, sets up his own cupcake shop. It's a sweet story. (There is some sex)

• Like 1
Synchronicity
23 hours ago, KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty said:

I recommend the fictional The Night Life of the Gods by Thorne Smith.  It's an old book, inspired by Greek mythology, and it's clean. :) 

• Like 1