Relief in Finding Others like Myself over 50

I just read an article in Scientific American, Life Beyond Sex, which directed me here.  In a world that has placed labels and “shoulds” on everything, it’s good to find this forum.

• Like 9

Welcome, @AlexK!

It is great that you ran across that article and that it brought you here. We do have a lot of young people here, but also older people as well--many of us, in our 50s to 80s.

Feel free to join in. :cake: 

• Like 4

Heyy, welcome!! 🍰

I'm on the younger end of people here, but it's nice to see adults here as well :)) hope you feel safe here

• Like 2

Welcome to AVEN.  There are a lot of over 50 people here.

I have been thinking about this topic for a while. I was always told I had a problem. To me, it was just the way it was and I must “have a problem” as doctors and partners told me. Now I know what is going on and feel relieved but nervous also. I’m glad to finally be content in my own body. 

• Like 3
Questioning human

I just found AVEN via an article in Scientific American that showed up in my news feed on my phone.  I am 61 and have felt like a freak my whole life.  I am just starting to explore ace and it is comforting to know I am not alone in my life experience.  I would like to connect with and learn from others here.

• Like 3
Tomtravel2

Hi Alex,  I am new here as well and over 50 and just wanted to drop by to see how everything works. I am hoping to meet other asexual people here and meet some new friends.  I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.  Thank you

• Like 1

Welcome, Alex.  You mentioned labels; on reading more within AVEN, you may find that it also has some often-detailed labels tossed around.  Don't worry; you may adopt one or more of them or go completely label-less, your choice.  My guess is that older members (say 40+) tend toward less labels -- we have had a long enough life that when we finally discover we belong here and we're not alone, that's all we need!  

• Like 2
Tomtravel2

Hi Sally, How are you ?  I am new here so I hope I am doing everything correctly..lol   Snowing outside and cold here near Pittsburgh

3 minutes ago, Tomtravel2 said:

Hi Sally, How are you ?  I am new here so I hope I am doing everything correctly..lol   Snowing outside and cold here near Pittsburgh

Hi, Tom.  Nobody does anything correctly at AVEN, so no problem, you will fit in with us all!  My late partner grew up in Monessen and went to school at Carnegie and was glad to escape the winters.