How much time left until facial recognition becomes a law enforced requirement?

Lord Jade Cross

We already have things like digital passports and licenses and an ever increasing push from companies to use facial recognition for "security purposes"

So how long do we have before facial recognition is installed, not only as a default and unaviodable setting, but also that some law, conviniently written due to a "tragedy that could have been avoided if only facial recogmition had been set in place" is put into motion? 

• Like 1

Can't take more than ten years at this point. I'm already afraid considering how sloppily humans, in this case law enforcement, back-check the results of their systems. I see a lot of potential to falsely convict people that just so happen to look somewhat similar to actual suspects. There already have been enough cases without. Recently I've heard of a heavily pregnant woman being arrested that wasn't even physically capable of commiting the crime in question. But AI is always right, apparently. Anyone using two braincells would have noticed that the system was plain wrong. But we can never pass up a chance to hurt vulnerable people, right?

Depends on which country. In some countries, you might already be on camera. 👁️👁️

Seeing as how it's already used in cop shows and everything, I would say not long. Seeing as how U.S. government technology is from the 1970s, I would say it'll take a while. I guess whatever president wants to dump funding into it, can start that program. 

On 9/4/2023 at 9:10 AM, Monke Jimmy said:

Seeing as how U.S. government technology is from the 1970s, I would say it'll take a while.

That's mostly because when they install a system and get it working they never touch it again. That does not mean they would hesitate to install a new cutting edge system in 2023, it just means they will still be using it in 2073.

• Like 1

I mean its already a feature being sold by most body cam companies. its not only the default setting, its the minimum. 

body and dash cameras can pick up faces or even just clothing  (i.e. guy with red shirt or something) and track that person across the entire fleet of devices. 

if you've ever seen how effective a ALPR (Automatic license plate reader) is, its clear that camera recognition tech is pretty advanced in the public justice space already. 

one municipality I worked for actually had residents joining a group for Ring doorbells that gave police unrestricted access to their cameras. 

Lord Jade Cross
On 9/11/2023 at 1:10 AM, aafire said:

I mean its already a feature being sold by most body cam companies. its not only the default setting, its the minimum. 

body and dash cameras can pick up faces or even just clothing  (i.e. guy with red shirt or something) and track that person across the entire fleet of devices. 

if you've ever seen how effective a ALPR (Automatic license plate reader) is, its clear that camera recognition tech is pretty advanced in the public justice space already. 

one municipality I worked for actually had residents joining a group for Ring doorbells that gave police unrestricted access to their cameras. 

I had heard about the Ring camera issue. But it wasnt clear if it was willing or if the police had basically gotten free survielence thanks to google

1 hour ago, Lord Jade Cross said:

I had heard about the Ring camera issue. But it wasnt clear if it was willing or if the police had basically gotten free survielence thanks to google

voluntary. most things like that still require a court order 

• Like 1

Probably not long. Wally world and a couple other grocery stores I've worked in had fingerprint scanners as your punch in clock, which was something I didn't expect for such a mundane kind of job.

If not facial recognition, I wouldn't be surprised if they do vocal recognition first, because that would be easier and more foolproof at the same time, since you'd have to pick a codeword.

3 hours ago, Epitaph said:

Wally world and a couple other grocery stores I've worked in had fingerprint scanners as your punch in clock, which was something I didn't expect for such a mundane kind of job.

It's more likely that it will be done with lower-level workers, because high-level workers with actual power in their jobs wouldn't allow it to be done.  Unions don't have the protective force for lower-level employees they used to have.

16 hours ago, Sally said:

It's more likely that it will be done with lower-level workers, because high-level workers with actual power in their jobs wouldn't allow it to be done.  Unions don't have the protective force for lower-level employees they used to have.

Probably has more to the fact that salaried employees can't commit time clock theft