Does the algorithm get you?

I use adblockers, and my main browser instance disallows scripts and cookies by default, so the only entity that has enough information on me to even try to run one of these algorithms is Amazon.  Which tends to offer me things like Canadian political memoirs (uh, nope) and, on a couple of occasions, a tome called Latin for Gardeners even though I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in gardening.  I mention some of the more egregious weirdness from their suggestions over supper when it looks like someone in the family needs a distraction.

If a site won't let me view their content without running their scripts and turning off my adblocker, I either go elsewhere (because very little of what's on the Internet is actually that important) or leave the adblocker on and put my set of "remove element" browser extensions to work—99% of the time the site is relying on an overlay to keep you out, and if you remove it from the page everything works just fine.

(And if you were to guess from this that I don't do conventional social media, you'd be right.  Mastodon I'll tolerate, although I don't like even it; the centralized offerings of the corporations can go hang.)

• Like 1
J. van Deijck

Speaking of algorithms...

8ba6226a88ccbac7b81b1bb14b7093ac3ba45fb2

+This is an email I got from De Lijn yesterday. I have that travel pass (MOBIB card) registered on my name and I have to scan/validate it in the bus, and their network detects which lines I use the most and based on this, their algorithm informs me about potential problems on the way. And this is actually useful and relevant :D

• Like 1

The Algorithm will get us all, eventually.

You see, Capitalism needs meat for the machine, and advertising and currency are the web used to entrap you. You were born into a sea of advertising, drowning in it before you could even form words, let alone understand you were surrounded by products churned out as part of an endless and needless cycle of consumption, by a massive industry that had  poured billions of dollars and research into how to manipulate you, before you were ever born.

The internet gave Advertising legs like never before.

Out there in -- cyberspace, I guess? -- it's not just a matter of Google or Youtube or Tik Tok, Amazon, any of them separately. No, Capitalism wants to own you, it has been driven by its endless need to Consume, and somewhere just past the threshold of real AI -- is an Algorithm that will sell you back to yourself, and make you tip.

Maybe the Algorithm hasn't got you yet. It will.

I get so many ads about teeth stuff, it makes my teeth related anxiety far worse.

When I look at amazon emails, , it's interesting how well they can predict my buying habits, based on books and albums I've already bought elsewhere. They do a good job of knowing me in that regard, but knowing me too late.

Facebook give me weird ads. Everything from cleaning up after sex (i assume a particular type as the ad used the word bum in a pun,) dating for gay men, dating for lesbians, dating in general, getting drugs injected intravenously at shopping centres, sending money to nigeria. Or advertising a lot of princess stuff after liking both King Princess and Princess Nokia.

Occasionally they do offer products in ads that are useful, I mean a stopped clock is right twice a day, but if so, it is usually a supplier I already use.

"Ah, this person visits Bord Gais electricity suppliers website every 2 months. They must be interested in joining Bord Gais"

"This person reads a bit about tax and accountancy. They must need an accountant."

I AM THE ACCOUNTANT.

I find Twitter is also bad for algorithms,  they either try to sell betting or crypto. Both of which I have no interest in.

Edited by iff
  • Like 2
J. van Deijck
2 hours ago, iff said:

I get so many ads about teeth stuff

Me too. Especially about implants.

I've never looked up such content anywhere on the internet. It's completely irrelevant to me.

Yeah, and one website, I don't even remember which one, advertising a test which will help you find out if you're gay. Like, what even.

• Like 2