British survey on queerness in Gen Z mentions asexuality (we gained 1%)

weird elf

nanogretchen4

The article is confusing. It seems like in gen Z 14% identified as bisexual or pansexual, 2% as gay, 3% as lesbian, and 2% as asexual. Yes, these numbers are dramatically higher than in previous polls, but they still add up to only 21% for all sexual orientations other than heterosexual. That seems to imply 79% of gen Z are heterosexual, yet they are saying only 53% of gen Z and 66% of all respondents are straight. Probably the difference just means a lot of heterosexuals prefer "heterosexual", "normal", or "prefer not to say" to "straight". I must say I'm a little skeptical about this survey. I would want to look more closely at the sample size, how random the selection process was, and how the questions were worded.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Lord Revan said:

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY MORE COUNTRIES WE COULD INVADE !

shhhhhhhhh, first try a more legal way: Do you know how many votes we could get from the beginning?

Just now, Mezmerising said:

shhhhhhhhh, first try a more legal way: Do you know how many votes we could get from the beginning?

No, look i thought about it. It's only a war crime if there's a war. Since aces aren't a nation, we can't do wars, so invading Denmark is multiple assaults, batteries, and murders. Those are not crimes recognised at an international level, just national. So if we win and pardon ourselves, it's legal

Just now, Lord Revan said:

No, look i thought about it. It's only a war crime if there's a war. Since aces aren't a nation, we can't do wars, so invading Denmark is multiple assaults, batteries, and murders. Those are not crimes recognised at an international level, just national. So if we win and pardon ourselves, it's legal

Unless its classified as a civil war

Just now, Mezmerising said:

Unless its classified as a civil war

Ofcourse

4 hours ago, weird elf said:

2% of Britons identify as asexual.

🥳🥳🥳💜💜💜 I've suspected the numbers would be higher than reported 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nanogretchen4 said:

The article is confusing. It seems like in gen Z 14% identified as bisexual or pansexual, 2% as gay, 3% as lesbian, and 2% as asexual. Yes, these numbers are dramatically higher than in previous polls, but they still add up to only 21% for all sexual orientations other than heterosexual. That seems to imply 79% of gen Z are heterosexual, yet they are saying only 53% of gen Z and 66% of all respondents are straight. Probably the difference just means a lot of heterosexuals prefer "heterosexual", "normal", or "prefer not to say" to "straight". I must say I'm a little skeptical about this survey. I would want to look more closely at the sample size, how random the selection process was, and how the questions were worded.

My guess is the writers included gender identity in the final number - conflating "not cisgender heterosexual" with "not straight".

nanogretchen4

I feel like straight is the opposite of queer and heterosexual is the opposite of attracted to your own sex or gender. Also straight seems more like a political identity and heterosexual is a more neutral descriptive term. So I think this is telling us more about people's politics and group affiliations than about their sexuality.