AVEN thoughts

AVENguy

Pressuring people about the DSM is a loftier goal...

Well, we could take care of that the same way the gays formerly known as psychopaths did: One of us becomes a psychiatrist and gets appointed to the head of the body that writes it.......

boa

Well, there is also another way. The DSM (at the back or it used to be when my dad was a psychiatrist) lists all the people who put together the book. They have general area information for them and it wouldn't be that hard to get those addresses. I forget how many people there are but with enough good information we could contact them with our convincing information.

Worthless Poster

Yeah.... I dunno how college is, but at least at my high school, backpack messages are a huge way to go. I started wearing some Catholic buttons on my backpack and had people lynching me within hours. I'm sure they'd notice anything with the 3 letters s, e, and x in it.

I don't think passive messages are really the way to go for serious visibility. If we want to treat it seriously, it has to be an active effort.

I hope to employ my newfound resources in my campus queer group to get some connections with people in the queer community, speak out and spread the good word, get the people with the power interested in us and our cause.

VivreEstEsperer

First: what do I think of that? I think it's awesome.

Second: I think that whatever this becomes, it shouldn't stray too far from its purpose of being a support resource for asexual people in a sexual society. Those of us that have been here for a longer time are perhaps more comfortable with our asexuality, and we have started using the board as a social place to some degree, but for those new people who are coming every day, we should still keep the board intact for them. The board itself should stay how it is I think. Whatever we do for visibility offline should be separate.

Third: You're right about the timing of the documentary, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if we will get any additional publicity? I'm not sure what else we can do then, though... nothing really comes to mind.

One of us could run for president or high office, that always gets in the news a lot, lol. Or stage a rally or a protest or something.

But really, I think the Canadian documentary was a wonderful start, and am rather content at the moment where we are, unless we think of anything else really good...

Kate

underminethewalls

Aury mentioned buttons. I think that's a great idea. Those are extremely effective, non-threatening and require very little investment, financial or timewise.

These are some great ideas flying around...

I'm going to go ahead and make these ideas into seperate threads, so we can keep this thread for brainstorming.

Does anyone have the web knowledge to make a better local meetup system (does anyone have a good knowledge of php and time to spare?) It would be fabulous if we could build something like meetup.com into the AVEN software..

xena_trade_center

I would gladly run an Australian Visibilty campain of asexuality.

It will take me about 5 months before I can start unfortunately (due to work and current houseing issues). But if someone can come up with basic pamphlet/sticker/poster designs then I would happily fund the production costs (for any Australian involvment).

We really need some BASIC GOALS.

eg.

* organise international/state visiblity teams

* design pamphlets/stickers/poster/etc and have an AVEN vote to the most desired ones

* produce them

* distribute them to the teams

* agree on the best distribution points in local communities (eg. do we want to target schools/libraries/councellors/etc?)

* distribute advertising via teams

This was just an example. As I'm just woke-up and I'm not for big brain-storming at the moment. But I'm sure we can come up with some great goals as a community.

i was also gonna say keychains, but that would be a bit excessive. :lol:

gorax: that's why i suggested the iron/sew-on patches.

Aury mentioned buttons. I think that's a great idea. Those are extremely effective, non-threatening . . .

You mean the little buttons where you can pull out the needle and jam it in someone's eye? :D

Archived